Online Shopee and Lazada sales tax included?

ilikethai

Really!?  is this even true?  A Hikvision security DVR for security cameras sells for 2,290 baht without coupons yet vs a local Hikvision authorized dealer sells for over 3,100 baht same model.  I've never bought on Thailand online stores before.

https://shopee.co.th/iDS-7208HQHI-M1-S(C)-Hikvision-8-ch-1080p-1U-H.265-AcuSense-DVR-รับสมัครตัวแทนจำหน่าย-By-Vnix-Group-i.104686285.7032230489?xptdk=4d236599-9c1a-486a-85e1-d39df91d6e10

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, ilikethai said:

Really!?  is this even true?  A Hikvision security DVR for security cameras sells for 2,290 baht without coupons yet vs a local Hikvision authorized dealer sells for over 3,100 baht same model.  I've never bought on Thailand online stores before.

https://shopee.co.th/iDS-7208HQHI-M1-S(C)-Hikvision-8-ch-1080p-1U-H.265-AcuSense-DVR-รับสมัครตัวแทนจำหน่าย-By-Vnix-Group-i.104686285.7032230489?xptdk=4d236599-9c1a-486a-85e1-d39df91d6e10

I've bought large items over 12k baht + (as well as more than 100 other items)....Never anything additional charges tacked on.....

• Like 2

18 hours ago, ilikethai said:

Really!?  is this even true? 

You'll find out a soon as you add it to your basket.  But it is true, VAT is included in the price shown by sellers. 

The exception would be on items coming from overseas that may be subject to import duty and VAT imposed by Customs or the courier companies.

• Like 1

On 7/29/2022 at 6:42 PM, ilikethai said:

If you are asking can they sell at a lower price the answer is yes - many things online will be priced lower than at stores.  Seems that unit sells from 22-2600 on Shopee from reliable sellers.  Check how many sold - how long seller been online - any special cat such as Mall or Preferred if in doubt about reliability of items.  Obviously if only 1/10th the cost and such will likely not be what you want - but often there is a good savings.

Edited by lopburi3
  • Like 1

On 7/30/2022 at 7:33 PM, tomazbodner said:
On 7/30/2022 at 12:53 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

You'll find out a soon as you add it to your basket.  But it is true, VAT is included in the price shown by sellers. 

The exception would be on items coming from overseas that may be subject to import duty and VAT imposed by Customs or the courier companies.

Expand  

Never bought from overseas on Shopee, but for Lazada, all import taxes, etc. are included in the price. If you pay at time of purchase (price + shipping), there are no additional fees or taxes to be paid. All is included.

Where have you read that?   

You really think that all Lazada purchases from outside Thailand (valued at over the B1,500 Customs Dept exemption) are exempt from import duty/VAT?     How can a Chinese vendor, for example, accommodate Thai import duty into it's prices and then get any duty  that is due paid to Thai Customs?

Edited by Liverpool Lou

17 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You really think that all Lazada purchases from outside Thailand (valued at over the B1,500 Customs Dept exemption) are exempt from import duty/VAT?     How can a Chinese vendor, for example, accommodate Thai import duty into it's prices and then get any duty  that is due paid to Thai Customs?

No idea how they do it, but this was an overseas order.

image.png.0dc4707e99e2f18cf1a1352b79ea8923.png

1 hour ago, peterfranks said:
1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Expand  

No idea how they do it, but this was an overseas order.

image.png.0dc4707e99e2f18cf1a1352b79ea8923.png

Not sure what you're saying, that invoice makes no mention of Thailand Import duty and VAT being prepaid.   What was the item purchased?

18 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Not sure what you're saying, that invoice makes no mention of Thailand Import duty and VAT being prepaid.   What was the item purchased?

Indeed same as with every Lazada receipt, there is never any import duty or VAT on the receipt.

This is the seller, look him up, he's from China

image.png.83c68245a5639a0145dcab8f804543b6.png

https://www.lazada.co.th/shop/meet-sunday?path=profile.htm&pageTypeId=3

4 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

https://www.lazada.co.th/helpcenter/Do-I-have-to-pay-extra-duties-or-taxes-for-Overseas-Product-6045.html?spm=a2o4m.helpcenter-topic.articles-list.3.6cfe3653nO6Jj2

image.png.7b3aaf6505d027200eacdcfd34e61d66.png

On how they can accommodate - same way as eBay - they calculate and prepay the duties. They are included in price of the product.

I stand corrected.  

• Like 1

Wow, thats amazing, I thought there had to be additional duties on items which if I were to buy direct from the factory I would probably be looking at 100-200% duty charge. There are some things on Lazada I see as advertized with the before tax price anywhere else. They do tell you directly free shipping. A bit difficult to believe still, but those items have customer reviews and look like they are from legit sellers. Might be worth calling Lazada to double check.

2 hours ago, Gilligan In Drag said:

Wow, thats amazing, I thought there had to be additional duties on items which if I were to buy direct from the factory I would probably be looking at 100-200% duty charge. There are some things on Lazada I see as advertized with the before tax price anywhere else. They do tell you directly free shipping. A bit difficult to believe still, but those items have customer reviews and look like they are from legit sellers. Might be worth calling Lazada to double check.

The most recent items valued above ฿1500 that I bought from Lazada and Shopee were ฿7700 (shipping ฿52) and ฿13000 (free shipping), respectively. They were both shipped from Hong Kong and arrived without any duty, tax or fee to be paid.

• Like 1

last question.  if a friend crosses one of the Thai Lao bridges to shop does she qualify as a "tourist" and qualify for vat refund?  where would she go for vat refund.  She plans to buy a laptop that costs about 43,000 baht0. thanks in advance

Edited by ilikethai

On 8/2/2022 at 10:53 PM, ilikethai said:

last question.  if a friend crosses one of the Thai Lao bridges to shop does she qualify as a "tourist" and qualify for vat refund?  where would she go for vat refund.  She plans to buy a laptop that costs about 43,000 baht0. thanks in advance

Refunds of Thai VAT for tourists are only available if the items are purchased from participating shops in Thailand that promote that facility.