Conflicting Information as to Whether a "90 Days" Report is Now Required

6 minutes ago, marin said:

Nobody is accusing you of lying, in fact most have bee n quite nice.  In reality if you left the country and returned on June 13, you will have to report in 90 days.

The computer system does not know you left and was giving you a 90 day report due time with reference to your last 90 day report. The system did not know you have left.

Its all good but you did not have to report until 90 days from June 13 by law. 

Thank you.

That is as maybe. Actually I don't 'legally' have to report until 90 days after 22nd July - that will soon change to 90 days after my next reentry date on 25th August.

I don't in any way dispute the Immigration rule stating that 90 days resets on reentry to Thailand. My whole point is that the systems are not joined up and I will receive an Immigration notification around 31 August for a report date of 16 September. What do I do? - ignore that notification and attempt to submit within the 15 day window 90 days after 25th August. I love the online system and I have no intention of either doing a manual 90 day report - or risk rejection of submitting a 'legal' 90 day report date that the system does not recognise.

I will report online when invited to do so and will leave Thai Immigration to set the next report date.

3 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

The sheep are out in force.

I don't care whether anyone accepts the facts or not, BUT don't accuse me of lying.

I arrived 13th June.

I received the online notification on 15 June.

I responded on 17 June and the report was accepted on 18 June.

Guess what what my next reporting date is.

20 June?

7 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

There is no linkage between the online reporting site and immigrations arrival records.

In that case then it is IMHO pretty darned essential that the necessary linkages are established PDQ so as to ensure the smooth and effective operation of the 90-day online reporting system. After all it should, I would have thought, be a straightforward task (for any web designer worth their salt - which I know is by no means a "given" here in LOS) for this system to be tweaked so that the issue of reminder auto-emails was suppressed where current records indicated that foreign travel had taken place (or was currently taking place) since the last 90-day report had been submitted.

Unfortunately I fear that we can almost certainly go whistle for anything like this actually happening any time soon since it is clear to me that 2 separate silos in the Immigration Bureau are involved (one responsible for the operation of the 90-day online system and the other responsible for the oversight of departure & arrival records), with each in all probability acting under strict instructions to proceed with blinkers firmly attached so as to prevent any "undesirable" side glances into the responsibilities and activities of the other.

Edited by OJAS

3 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

Thank you.

That is as maybe. Actually I don't 'legally' have to report until 90 days after 22nd July - that will soon change to 90 days after my next reentry date on 25th August.

I don't in any way dispute the Immigration rule stating that 90 days resets on reentry to Thailand. My whole point is that the systems are not joined up and I will receive an Immigration notification around 31 August for a report date of 16 September. What do I do? - ignore that notification and attempt to submit within the 15 day window 90 days after 25th August. I love the online system and I have no intention of either doing a manual 90 day report - or risk rejection of submitting a 'legal' 90 day report date that the system does not recognise.

I will report online when invited to do so and will leave Thai Immigration to set the next report date.

• The notification of staying in the Kingdom over 90 days is not the visa extension.
  • If a foreigner staying in the kingdom over 90 days without notifying residence to immigration officer or notifying later than the set period, must notify in person and a fine of 2,000.- THB will be collected. If a foreigner who did not make the notification of staying over 90 days is arrested, he/her will be fined 5,000.- THB with an additional fine not exceeding 200.- THB for each day which passes until the law is complied with.
  • If the foreigner leaves Thailand anytime during the 90-day period, then the day count will restart from upon the arrival date of his/her re-entry into Thailand. (every case) 
  • If the foreigner leaves the country and re-enters, the day count starts at 1st date of the latest re-entry in every case.

https://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/90days-report/

Is there an exception to the 90 day reporting clock when one converts from a visa exempt entry to a non-O, i.e., the initial conversion date to the non-O "counts" as a 90 day report?  Or is one still required to file a 90 day report using the visa exempt entry date?

I seem to recall past discussion revolving around something like this but can't remember the exact details.  

36 minutes ago, TheAppletons said:

Is there an exception to the 90 day reporting clock when one converts from a visa exempt entry to a non-O, i.e., the initial conversion date to the non-O "counts" as a 90 day report?  Or is one still required to file a 90 day report using the visa exempt entry date?

I seem to recall past discussion revolving around something like this but can't remember the exact details.  

Why people are getting their panties in a bunch is ridiculous.

The law is clear. You must notify if you have been present in Thailand for 90 days

Just because there was an email makes no difference. 

If you have reported the clock resets. (If it is anything between 1 and 96 days.)

If you have re entered Thailand clock resets.

The grace period of 15 days before (and 7 days after in person) for reporting is available.

If you have the urge and the system will allow it (it won’t) you can report every day, that should make it clear how silly that would be.

1 hour ago, DrJoy said:
  • The notification of staying in the Kingdom over 90 days is not the visa extension.
  • If a foreigner staying in the kingdom over 90 days without notifying residence to immigration officer or notifying later than the set period, must notify in person and a fine of 2,000.- THB will be collected. If a foreigner who did not make the notification of staying over 90 days is arrested, he/her will be fined 5,000.- THB with an additional fine not exceeding 200.- THB for each day which passes until the law is complied with.
  • If the foreigner leaves Thailand anytime during the 90-day period, then the day count will restart from upon the arrival date of his/her re-entry into Thailand. (every case) 
  • If the foreigner leaves the country and re-enters, the day count starts at 1st date of the latest re-entry in every case.

https://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/90days-report/

Thank you.

I am familiar with the Immigration website and acknowledge the resetting of the clock when entering Thailand.

What I have tried to illustrate are the effects of entries not being linked to the online reporting system. 

Frankly, I would much rather respond to 4 emails per year than diaries to do a report 75 days after arriving in Thailand. Also, I am not aware how the online system will react to me trying to do a report that does not correlate with what they have on file.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Why people are getting their panties in a bunch is ridiculous.

The law is clear. You must notify if you have been present in Thailand for 90 days

Just because there was an email makes no difference. 

If you have reported the clock resets. (If it is anything between 1 and 96 days.)

If you have re entered Thailand clock resets.

The grace period of 15 days before (and 7 days after in person) for reporting is available.

If you have the urge and the system will allow it (it won’t) you can report every day, that should make it clear how silly that would be.

Are you certain you responded to the post for which you intended?  I wasn't asking about an email system nor was I asking about your choice in undergarments.

Edited by TheAppletons

31 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

What I have tried to illustrate are the effects of entries not being linked to the online reporting system. 

The only effect is confusion if you don't ignore the email.

Whey do the report within the 10 days reporting window  for doing  the report 90 day from the day you enter the country.

When doing the report you would put your new arrival date here when doing the report.

image.png.6bfbe5976a139163f5660b1c2e6c5a99.png

That date will then be on the new TM47 form and immigration will count the 90 days from that day.l

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

When doing the report you put your new arrival date here when doing the report.

That date will then be on the new TM47 form and immigration will count the 90 days from that day.l

QED !!

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

The only effect is confusion if you don't ignore the email.

Whey do the report within the 10 days reporting window  for doing  the report 90 day from the day you enter the country.

When doing the report you would put your new arrival date here when doing the report.

I am not confused, it is easy to respond online. If you read my posts you know that the last time I entered my arrival date, Immigration did NOT take the 90 days from my arrival date but from their approval date.

• Sad 2

On 8/1/2022 at 5:26 PM, allane said:

Questions:  Must he do a 90 day report this week, to avoid a fine ?

Is a 90 day report necessary at all, since he has a new Extension of Stay ?

A 90 day address report has nothing to do with an extension of stay.

They are two totally separate things.

The 90 day expiry date stands.

16 hours ago, TheAppletons said:

You are correct.

I got my new O-Visa in Chiang Mai yesterday. I asked about the 90-day report, and the officer said it's due 90 days from the date the visa was stamped. (25 July)

Not the date I arrived. (4 July)

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, hakancnx said:

I got my new O-Visa in Chiang Mai yesterday. I asked about the 90-day report, and the officer said it's due 90 days from the date the visa was stamped. (25 July)

Exactly what happened to me when I converted to a Non-O from visa exempt last year in Chiang Mai (I didn't think to ask about it, they just put in my passport a new 90-day Receipt of Notification with a new reporting date on it); however, it seems that at least some other provinces don't handle it that way so probably wise to ask about it in other provinces when converting to a Non-O.   

• Like 2

13 hours ago, hakancnx said:

You are correct.

Thank you for the refreshingly helpful response.  

On 8/1/2022 at 7:48 PM, OJAS said:

Some offices will allow you to reset your 90-day reporting clock when you submit an application for an annual extension of stay. That certainly happened to me at Rayong when I applied for (and was granted) my latest retirement extension there a few weeks ago.

Presumably Chaengwattana aren't one of them, though?

This happened to me at CW in May, when I went their to get a first extension of stay of 1 year.

They stamped  "must show up for next 90days report in .... August" (90 days after getting the extension) even I entered Thailand in April. They attached this to my pp.

They also gave me a CoR which they only do if you did a 90days report.

They seem to consider my showing up for extension as a 90days report, even it was only 45 days after entry. 

Edited by Lorry

On 8/1/2022 at 1:33 PM, DrJack54 said:

You are making simple sound difficult. 

It is required for continuous stay in Thailand of 90 days.

If at any stage you exit Thailand your 90 day clock starts again  upon reentry. 

I'm piggybacking on this thread with my own situation/question.  Hope that's ok...

READ EDIT BELOW FIRST>>>

I recently received my first 1 year Non-O retirement visa extension.  My first 90 day report will be due the beginning of September.  I've never reported before, so I'm not familiar with the process.

I had to leave the country temporarily.  I am currently overseas.  I have a reentry permit.  I will be overseas when my 90 day report is due, returning about 3 weeks later.  I maintain a residence in Thailand.

In general, is immigration interested in my whereabouts on 90 day increments or my residence on 90 day increments?  Do I fill out the 90 day report online on the due date specifying my Thai residence or is the report not required since I am overseas?  Do I need to alert immigration that I am overseas and if so how?  Will they consider me delinquent if I don't "touch base" with them, one way or another on the due date?  DrJack above says the clock stops.  When I reenter, do I calculate my new 90 day report date taking into consideration the days overseas that do not count?  How do I notify them that I am recalculating the due date?

Many questions...  Thanks in advance!

EDIT:  I think I misunderstood DrJacks post and posted my questions too quickly.  Having read more deeply into the post, I think:

1. Immigration doesn't care where I am and doesn't expect a report if I have not been in the country longer than 90 days.

2. I am under no obligation to report every 90 days, even if I have an active visa.  Being in country is what matters.

3. When I reenter, the clock starts again at day 1.  I don't have to notify anyone at immigration that I am resetting my 90 day report clock.

Edited by NotReallyHere
clarification

On 8/3/2022 at 11:45 AM, hotandsticky said:

The sheep are out in force.

I don't care whether anyone accepts the facts or not, BUT don't accuse me of lying.

I arrived 13th June.

I received the online notification on 15 June.

I responded on 17 June and the report was accepted on 18 June.

Guess what what my next reporting date is.

It will be 90 days AFTER your entry stamp, give or take a few days.

A question for those who insist the 90 day report must be done by the end of every 90 day period, regardless of whether you have left the country and returned in the meantime.  What would you do if you were out of the country when your 90 day report came due?  Since there seems to be no connection between the online system and actual border immigration control, it's likely the reminder email would still be sent.  Would you still report online and continue 90 days after that once returning?  If not, (which I assume would be the case, as it would be somewhat ridiculous to report that you have spent 90 days in the country when you aren't actually in the country - but then again, it seems somewhat ridiculous to report that you have spent 90 days in the country when you weren't in the country over some of that period), then how would you reconcile the gap in your 90 day reporting?  When would you do your next one?  90 days after your arrival date? 

Edited by ballpoint

6 minutes ago, ballpoint said:

A question for those who insist the 90 day report must be done by the end of every 90 day period, regardless of whether you have left the country and returned in the meantime.  What would you do if you were out of the country when your 90 day report came due?  Since there seems to be no connection between the online system and actual border immigration control, it's likely the reminder email would still be sent.  Would you still report online and continue 90 days after that once returning?  If not, (which I assume would be the case, as it would be somewhat ridiculous to report that you have spent 90 days in the country when you aren't actually in the country - but then again, it seems ridiculous to report that you have spent 90 days in the country when you weren't in the country over some of that period), then how would you reconcile the gap in your 90 day reporting?  When would you do your next one?  90 days after your arrival date? 

Never having done a 90 day report before, my questions stem from not knowing what information immigration is interested in.  My individual whereabouts?  Where my Thai residence is maintained during my visa validation period?  To me it doesn't make sense that they would care if I was in the country for more than 90 days if they granted me a 1 year visa extension (but apparently they do).  The way so many people complain about 90 day reporting, they make it seem like Big Brother is watching their every move (some even cite that as a reason for wanting to leave Thailand permanently).  If that is the case, then reporting my absence in 90 day increments during a visa validity period might make sense.  If immigration is more relaxed and only expects me to let them know when I exceed 90 days, then the current policy makes sense.  So many posts in this forum concern excessive nonsensical immigration requirements.  I think it is not unreasonable to question whether they might also want to know, in 90 day increments, if you have exited the country during your valid visa period.  I'm glad they don't.

47 minutes ago, NotReallyHere said:

2. I am under no obligation to report every 90 days, even if I have an active visa.  Being in country is what matters.

3. When I reenter, the clock starts again at day 1.  I don't have to notify anyone at immigration that I am resetting my 90 day report clock

That pretty much sums it up.

Just by way of example...

I have not been out of Thailand since start of covid.

Currently doing 90 reports online. 

In 2 weeks I take a two week trip to Oz.

My current report is due while I'm away so clearly not required.

I expect to get the reminder email which of course I will ignore.

When return my 90 clock starts on that date.

One month later I have second trip back to Oz.

Again my 90 clock will reset when I return.

My first 7 years in Thailand on non O extensions retirement, I never did a 90 report due to frequent travel.

In fact would probably never have made one if not for covid. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1