Air Hostess job : Could it be a scam?

A friend's daughter has just been given a job as an air hostess on Emirates.

She has the looks and she is bilingual, so she's an ideal candidate.

But she has no experience, and she got the job quickly, and has been told to start training pretty much immediately. This means flying to Dubai.

I appreciate that Emirates are growing, and that Covid caused a lot of staff shortages. So it's likely to be genuine.

But there's always that worry about it being some kind of scam. Has anyone heard of anything similar?

Thanks in advance.

Mods, please feel free to move this to the correct sub forum.

52 minutes ago, PPGuy said:

Not Emirates but Qatar experience of a family connection.

Applied for position as air hostess and passed the initial checking process then asked to attend an interview in Thailand with a Qatar based rep. This was held in Chiang Mai and, after passing that test, was then sent to Doha for initial training during a probationary period. Still with them after 3+ years.

So maybe a bit suspicious of not being interviewed by an Emirates rep ahead of travelling to Dubai. But, as noted, that was Qatar..........

This is apparently the same process that happened to the lady I know.

Thank you. This is very reassuring. ????????

I suspect scam.

I think there would be several mass interviews and skill tests, photos taken, makeup inspections etc., in Bangkok long before anyone got anywhere near a job offer. Let alone a job offer in Dubai.

The large number of applicants would be gradually whittled down by a process of elimination to a select few. Those would then be sent to be trained.

They are not going to be incurring the costs to fly girls to Dubai when most of them will not be up to their required standards.

A girl I know went for an interview here for one of the lost cost airlines a few years ago, and even they were quite intensive.

Edited by phetphet
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, phetphet said:

I suspect scam.

I think there would be several mass interviews and skill tests, photos taken, makeup inspections etc., in Bangkok long before anyone got anywhere near a job offer. Let alone a job offer in Dubai.

The large number of applicants would be gradually whittled down by a process of elimination to a select few. Those would then be sent to be trained.

They are not going to be incurring the costs to fly girls to Dubai when most of them will not be up to their required standards.

This post sums it up and is spot on. Emirates is a greatly desired job due to the high pay, opportunity for long hours, and free housing in Dubai. The salary is also paid in USD. If these boxes were not ticked be wary. 

Edited by marin

22 hours ago, ballpoint said:

Having "the looks" would rule that out.

(Unless "the looks" are the looks of an elderly matron).

It was an."elderly matron" BA hostess, many years ago flying SIN to Oz, who knew/remember my name (in economy /world traveller) and my favourite Gin n tonic drink and checked on me regularly during the flight to keep me topped up.

They don't come like that anymore ????

Thirty years in the industry that is how it works not a lot of experience needed. 

You left a number of things out but as noted did she seeks the interview, if she is going through a certify agency by the airline if so no money should be required from her it is basically all expenses paid,  one can call the airline personnel department and verify. 

• Thanks 1

She should proceed with the process, but obviously halt proceedings if they are asking for money in any way, shape or form. 

I doubt there is any risk of 'trafficers' paying for her to fly overseas and whisking her away into a life of servitude. 

• Like 1

On 8/2/2022 at 8:21 PM, ballpoint said:

Having "the looks" would rule that out.

(Unless "the looks" are the looks of an elderly matron).

Hey that's the requirement for American Airlines, plus big, for females.

For males, middle aged, big and natural ability to fuss around and take forever to deliver a tray table.

5 hours ago, orchidfan said:

It was an."elderly matron" BA hostess, many years ago flying SIN to Oz, who knew/remember my name (in economy /world traveller) and my favourite Gin n tonic drink and checked on me regularly during the flight to keep me topped up.

They don't come like that anymore ????

Was it your Mum ? No really, was your Mum ?

• Haha 1