True vs 3BB

Wandr

Is the True package that includes home internet, plus phone internet and calls, worth getting? I have used 3BB for years but True has a compelling offer.

For those who have used True home internet, does it work smoothly without outages? And do they block using movie or sports apps? 

• Like 1

Used True for 7 years. Internet is pretty good. The odd outage, but friends in the UK seem to have more. I'm forever remoting onto computers in Europe and the US and it works better than I expected (perfectly in fact).

Their TV service, on the other hand, is a completely different story.

• Like 1

I've been curious about other providers than True. I have been using True for many years. It works but speed dropps dramatically the further you get from Thailand. Sometimes using a vpn in some neighboring country (i.e. Singapore) makes the speed better for just about anything, I'm not talking about latency, that would of course increase by distance, but streaming speed. I tried vpn on vpn, example using a vpn in Singapore connecting to a vpn in the USA to watch some show, but apparently most vpn services does not allow this because security concerns.

Anyway, I have True home network with the whole package, TV, internet with fiber, a couple of phone numbers, 5G. It works but never lives up to the promised internet speeds when surfing outside Thailand. 5G is working ok, but sometimes randomly shuts down for a minute or so during the day.

36 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

Had 3BB internet in 2 fairly remote locations for some years. The speed has always been good as has reliability and customer service. They’re very quick to deal with any problems or outages. 

Completely agree. Can't fault them in any way, and that includes when they came to install the system and worked until nearly midnight on a Sunday - fortified with Leo and potato chips - to sort out a problem.

• Like 2

We used 3BB for years, but got increasingly annoyed that the connection was always cut for an hour or so each day a bill became due, just to remind us of the due-date, although the bills had always been paid already. This was the reason we switched to True, and we are more than happy with it:

964516480_Screenshot2022-08-0309_59_15.png.ed975863cbfb7c66378510a9d50b170d.png

2 hours ago, AlQaholic said:

I've been curious about other providers than True. I have been using True for many years. It works but speed dropps dramatically the further you get from Thailand. Sometimes using a vpn in some neighboring country (i.e. Singapore) makes the speed better for just about anything, I'm not talking about latency, that would of course increase by distance, but streaming speed. I tried vpn on vpn, example using a vpn in Singapore connecting to a vpn in the USA to watch some show, but apparently most vpn services does not allow this because security concerns.

Anyway, I have True home network with the whole package, TV, internet with fiber, a couple of phone numbers, 5G. It works but never lives up to the promised internet speeds when surfing outside Thailand. 5G is working ok, but sometimes randomly shuts down for a minute or so during the day.

#@!$%*&^ and 3+3 = 33. www = trouble v | v <- w, w = double v

That's not true, in my opinion.

• Haha 1

A lot depends upon your location in Thailand.

I had True in town (Chiang Mai) for years but started losing speed every night, internet shutdowns every time it rained, etc., and started looking for something more reliable.

I found that with 3BB.  1G down and 100mbps up. We've had ONE shutdown in the past two years. Lasted less than an hour.  No other problems.  Sometimes the speed does drop during busy times, but never below 500+/- download. Fast enough for anything I need to do, even when using a VPN.

8-3-2022 11-22-51 AM.jpg

Edited by FolkGuitar
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Wandr said:

Is the True package that includes home internet, plus phone internet and calls, worth getting? I have used 3BB for years but True has a compelling offer.

If you are going to do a lot of streaming you do not want True as they will slow your connection once you have used a certain amount of data. 

I had no problem with 3BB but GF changed to True while i was away. When i returned it was completely unusable so i changed back to 3BB

While i was away True came round the village and stated all the previous problems had been sorted and they were now much better so GF changed back to True. 

She states that it all slows down towards  the end of the month but not a problem and True have admitted they are slowing it. So when i get there, after a week of streaming it will once again be unusable to me.

I have been using True TV, phone and internet for many years.  Basically very few interruptions of service and quick and efficient service when there is one.  I have not recently compared the program content between True and 3BB but the GIGA package sounds great.  Last time I did check, 3BB boxes do not support PVR recording but my True box does.  Very convenient for me but I do feel program content could be better.  Maybe I need to look and see if they have any better packages now. 

I had 3bb fibre for years, then for family reasons, out of my control, transferred to True.

Only lasted until the contract ran out and back to 3BB, poor customer service and 'dropouts' although very fast speed!

Took a couple of days to get them to 'fix' the 3BB to my satisfaction (slowing down for random hours a day) but now very happy with service. (Muang Phetchabun) 

I used to have True internet several years ago, I don't remember it being great but I'm sure it 's better nowadays

When I went back home and came back I took 3BB and never looked back, I used to have 100/10 package maybe 7-8 years ago and then they upgraded me for no extra charge to 300/20 (can't remember the exact numbers) and then later to 1000/300

About two years ago I saw there was a promotion to have 3BB and DTAC together (which I already had) and it was 1000/300 and 20GB of Mobile data for like 750 baht per month. I took that, they forced me on a year payment because apparently foreigners can't have monthly (don't know if it's really true but whatever) and paid about 8000 baht with a yearly discount per year.

The only thing I have to complain about is that they forced a new SIM card and phone number on me even tho I already had a DTAC account so now since I am used to the old number I keep 2 SIM in phone, one for incoming calls (mostly deliveries) and the other one for Data.

I remember about 2-3 times in the last 7-8 years that 3BB went down for extended periods of time (more than say 15 minutes)

On 8/3/2022 at 10:04 AM, Bangkok Barry said:

Completely agree. Can't fault them in any way, and that includes when they came to install the system and worked until nearly midnight on a Sunday - fortified with Leo and potato chips - to sort out a problem.

I suppose by giving them Leo it wouldn’t have affected their concentration or

ability !!

But agree their service is  excellent.

My wife always tips them in cash.

21 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

I suppose by giving them Leo it wouldn’t have affected their concentration or

ability !!

But agree their service is  excellent.

My wife always tips them in cash.

Two or three bottles between four workers didn't seem to cause any problems.

Had 3BB for about four years and switched earlier this year to True - True had a better offer both in price and what they threw in including a Sim with unlimited data on top of the Fiber 1,000/500 broadband connection. Both work fine - 3BB does have HBO Go but I found except for a few programs I barely used it. Haven't had any issues with True. 

• Like 1

On 8/3/2022 at 10:41 AM, Peterphuket said:

#@!$%*&^ and 3+3 = 33. www = trouble v | v <- w, w = double v

That's not true, in my opinion.

Well, it boils down to the definition of trouble v; how do one say 'www'? Do you say 'we we we'? or is it, like the Thai say it, 'Woorl Wiiee Weeeb'? Some say 'we dot', or is it 'Triple double v'? So that is where 'trouble v' comes from. The right side of the statement is, I have to admit, a bit murky. Yes, I know w is pronounced double u, which is strange in itself. It should have been double v all along, someone long ago indeed had a muddled mind.

Edited by AlQaholic

21 minutes ago, AlQaholic said:

Well, it boils down to the definition of trouble v; how do one say 'www'? Do you say 'we we we'? or is it, like the Thai say it, 'Woorl Wiiee Weeeb'? Some say 'we dot', or is it 'Triple double v'? So that is where 'trouble v' comes from. The right side of the statement is, I have to admit, a bit murky. Yes, I know w is pronounced double u, which is strange in itself. It should have been double v all along, someone long ago indeed had a muddled mind.

Funny, it takes long time before you can give me this explanation, I think it was very difficult....isn't?