Thailand’s PM says tourist numbers to triple in 2023

webfact

On 8/6/2022 at 10:37 AM, RafPinto said:

Yesterday, walking around On Nut area, I saw lots of Indian men.
All with their little moustache, trying to negotiate prices down on 180Baht tshirts.

Some of them walking into massage shops.
They looked strange, moving in packs between 8-12 men, not one wearing a mask between all the thais with masks on.
They really stick out.

Saw a similar group of Indians in the Asoke area yesterday.

• Like 1

My daughter was in Pattaya not long ago stayed at a hotel with hubby for a few days,nothing but Indians,one even tried to accost her,she complained to staff,the staff member said happens to the staff as well,they cant stand them, never any women only groups of men ,dont eat in the hotel ,go out for cheap food.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Gknrd said:

Main thing to know here it is not going to be the Chinese..  China does not have a vaccine!  From what I have read it they come out of lockdown they will kill 500 million in the first few months. 

I am no fan of the Chinese and criticise them continually, especially as I am stuck here. Talk about dramatisation or simple scare mongering.  500 million in the first few months! Jeez.

Please share those links to what you read. I cant wait.:coffee1:

On 8/3/2022 at 4:35 AM, webfact said:

The economy will expand by 4.2% in 2023, on top of forecast growth of 3.3% this year, Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha told a press briefing after the weekly cabinet meeting. That would match the pace in both 2017 and 2018, which represent the highest over the past decade, according to data compiled by Bloomberg.

That last statement is meaningless, 2017 & 2018 were in "normal" times.

Hardly a celebratory matter to have an economy recovering at a snail's pace from COVID.

The World Bank has already downgraded the 2022 forecast to 2.9% as well. 

So, with a -6.2% contraction in 2020, only 1.6% growth in 2021 and let's say 2.0%+ growth in 2022, it's going to be (at a minimum) 2023 before we return to pre-covid GDP and quite possibly this could slip into 2024. 

With regards to the old chestnut about the importance of tourism to GDP, I find it challenging to reconcile the overall 2020 and 2021 GDP numbers (when international tourism was largely non-existent and with other significant negative impacts on the Thai economy) to a hugely significant tourism GDP contribution. So either the GDP numbers are fudged or international tourism is not the 10+% of GDP that it is claimed to be...

Tourist Numbers Thailand.png

53 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

I am no fan of the Chinese and criticise them continually, especially as I am stuck here. Talk about dramatisation or simple scare mongering.  500 million in the first few months! Jeez.

Google it

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

500 millions, basically more than 1/3 of China population dying of covid which has a more than 99% survival rate.

Imagine believing something so absurd lol

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Saw a similar group of Indians in the Asoke area yesterday.

I understand there are similar groups roaming around India.

Maybe looking for a travel agent offering buy one flight, get 4 free.????????

4 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

So, is Thailand planning to increase significantly the number of migrant workers?

Yeah....you'll remember when that came about some time back - during the peak of the COVID era where unnecessary lockdowns and unemployment was rampant.....the ever so enlightened authorities engaged in an act by way of processing migrant works from Laos, Cambodia and Burma [all free and legal like]. The outrage was heard from all class circles.

If you think that is funny Antone you will laugh yourself silly with this.  

China cannot feed themselves and they import something like 80-90 % of their energy. Their demographics are the worst in the world by far.  Predictions have it at a 50% reduction in population by 2040-2050. Russia is in better shape than they are.  But, they are looking at the same scenario in the future. So, they cannot feed themselves and they import almost all of their energy to run their factories. All the US has to do is sit back and watch the implosion. And if the energy is cut by a large amount they will starve to death and the China machine will cease to exist in a year.

And Xi is the most insulated dictator of all times in China. He has killed or run off all the thinkers in the government. He is a one man show.. That does not have the smart people around him to help run a huge business (China),  

No where to go but down.

Edited by Gknrd

Dont hold your breath folks, there is sadly a pending global financial crisis looming by the day. Inflation is out of control and the Russian invasion of Ukraine is affecting the tourists that Thailand desperately need. If the rest of the planet condemmed Putin by imposing sanctions it would force his  hand to withdraw. Sadly many countries like Thailand do not go so far as to condemn the Russian Tsar for his actions and also allow the oligarchs who are part of Russian system safe havens for themselves, their families & their Mega yachts, etc etc. Again Thailand should hang its head in shame because the reasons are monetary driven. If they (Thailand) could see the woods for trees they would realise if the war was stopped it would help their tourist numbers increase next year but that would be too obvious wouldn't it!!!