Chiang Rai airport still closed: Continuing problems in removing Nok Air plane that skidded off runway

webfact

If it was raining and the plane was okay except for being stuck, well I can

see why 90 minutes before the people were let off the plane into buses.

These heavy aircraft are not easy to get out of anywhere if they sink into the 

ground that is not pavement.  I can imagine that all the planning needed to get the plane back onto the

pavement is something new for most of the people at that smaller airport. Interesting to read some of the comments though,                                     as many experts on this forum.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, kotsak said:

Do I have the feeling they don't have the proper equipment for such a task?

I do get the feeling that when the landing was being configured by the flight crew prior to arrival the local weather and runway conditions were not taken seriously.

24 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

I do get the feeling that when the landing was being configured by the flight crew prior to arrival the local weather and runway conditions were not taken seriously.

I was on a flight last month from BKK - Ubon with Viet Jet, around 5 min prior to landing the engines went to full power and could hear the landing gear being retracted, 10 min later was informed plane was returning to BKK due to rain storm at Ubon.

Heading back to Chaing Rai on the 9th with Viet Jet, so will need to wait and check what happens.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, hotchilli said:

I suspect the aircraft "slid" off the very wet runway due to "aquaplaning".

Maybe the airport owners/operators need to groove the runway surface as is done in many countries where very heavy rain floods the runway ?

4 hours ago, Isan Farang said:

I was on a flight last month from BKK - Ubon with Viet Jet, around 5 min prior to landing the engines went to full power and could hear the landing gear being retracted, 10 min later was informed plane was returning to BKK due to rain storm at Ubon.

Heading back to Chaing Rai on the 9th with Viet Jet, so will need to wait and check what happens.

That was a good and the correct decision by the crew given the threat to safety. 

Obviously the N Air crew were committed to landing "come hell or high water" !

17 minutes ago, orchidfan said:

I suspect the aircraft "slid" off the very wet runway due to "aquaplaning".

Maybe the airport owners/operators need to groove the runway surface as is done in many countries where very heavy rain floods the runway ?

A runway inspection of conditions should be done with accurate information passed to departing and arriving aircraft.

Clearly not done.

• Like 1