Tourist Visa For Thai Gf

I would like to apply to the British Embassy in December with my gf for a tourist visa.

She will not be in employment then having worked in a Hotel in Bangok for 5 years and then a secretary for a company for about 4 months, but will resign to be with me in Thailand for 6 weeks in December and then we will apply for the tourist visa.

She has no savings, although I could help if possible? She owns her parents house and is building a Grocery shop on the land. We have been together for 18 months and have emails etc to prove it all.

What is required, what should we do to ensure the best chance of successfully getting the tourist visa to come to England for a 3 month holiday?

We plan to marry in Thailand later this year.

We are ligitimate, it is for a holiday and to see my life here etc.

She will be returning to Thailand. We will both return to Thailand and marry in Thailand.

Let me know if you require any further information

Be very careful to apply well, well ahead.

I rather expect that the Entry Clearance Officers will decide that you and your GF have to be interviewed.

I was in the section this week and there was a notice on the wall saying that the next available date for an interview was (Iam pretty sure) 08 August.

So applying six weeks ahead might not be soon enough.

Some years I went for a visa for my wife to visit UK with me.

We wanted to go three weeks later, but they wanted an interview and the first available date was 35 working days away.

I was only saved by the fact that the words in which the decision was expressed allowed me to swing the gate of "Possible Maladministration" on a little hinge, and that got me in to see the Head of Section who was very helpful.

But if Buddha hadn't smiled on us --------!!

Thanks for info.

On what basis will the Embassy grant a tourist visa or refuse one, please? I assume there must be a list of criteria that we need to meet and satisfy.

So for us......I can support us both in England, my Thai gf has no savings, although I can give to her if possible, she will have no job, she owns her family house(mortgage), she is building a small business on the land, we have known each other for over 18 months with emails etc, I can get a letter from my mother confirming we will live at family home during her visit, if this would help. I am employed in England and can provide financial records - salary slips, bank account statements etc.

What are the Embassy's requirements and what weaknesses does our situation present? What can we do to improve our chances of success?

What can we do to help ensure we meet the requirements and get the visa? What other requirements must we fullfill?

As far as I know, there are two main criteria that have to be met for a Thai to obtain a visitor’s visa to enter the UK.

1. Proof that either her, or her sponsor (you) have sufficient funds to finance the trip and, if necessary, finance any medical costs which may be required during said trip, i.e. no reliance on UK government funds (these are all reserved for Afghanies).

2. Evidence that she is definitely only going to UK for a visit and will definitely return to Thailand at the end of the intended stay period. This is the most difficult criteria to be met as it will all depend upon your, and her, attitude at any interview.

U.K. gurus in this forum may disagree, but the burden of proof that your g/f has a "compelling reason" to return to Thailand is the ultimate test to be met.

Use your imagination in compiling the scenario that will be most convincing.

If you g/f has contracts to build a shop with local trademen that require her approval of each step in the building process to occur after her return to Thailand, that is compelling. If her planned "grand opening" of her shop requires her presence in Thailand after her trip, that is compelling.

If the purpose of her trip is to obtain your mother's approval for the marriage, that is a great reason for the trip.

Setting the wedding date with contracts, parties, etc. after her return date is a compelling reason for her return to get married.

Documenting all of the foregoing, including pictures, makes it convincing.

Properly presented, it would appear from the foregoing that your g/f has a very busy life here in Thailand setting up her shop, getting ready to marry and get on with a life in Thailand.

Certainly, your documenting your move to Thailand for long stay after the marriage will help.

Your making a "presentation" to convince so document, rehearse the answers to anticipated question, etc. If you were here with her it may be stronger.

Nothing stated above has been proven by personal experience, just my read on how to "sell" your story to visa decision makers.

My experiences lead me to concur with ProThaiExpat above.

The Entry Clearance Officer has to be convinced:

(1) that she genuinely intends/has a compelling reason to come back to Thailand, when she says she will

(2) that there will be sufficient money for her time in UK

(3) that she can cope with the normal sort of unexpected emergencies (and a holiday insurance policy generally does that)

In my experience it does no harm, and may do quite a bit of good, to be open with the Entry Clearance Officers and tell them that you understand what they have to guard against (i.e. potential overstayers, and potential 'burdens upon the public purse') and how you can assure them that you don't fall into either of those categories.

A real big thanks for responses.

I spoke to my gf yesterday and we are starting to plan our folder of information and how to best succeed. We are genuine and it is as stated.

Any other usefull tips or rules and advice would be most welcome. We are getting engaged on my visit and would be a shame not to get tourist visa. Not applying for Fiancee visa this time, as not made plans that of where to marry and exactly when yet.

Twix,

I have just been granted a U.K. 3 month visa for my GF recently and she is here now. Basically what the other guys have said is true, you have to prove it is a legit visit. My GF did have a job with a supporting letter saying she will be back and I am also escourting her back to Thailand after the 3 month period (had plane tickets to prove this. Booked all the flights etc)

Your GF has property, so provide the docs for this as it is a good proof of having to return. Dont worry about her finances, the fact that she is reliant on you is good (just prove you can support her, bank statements, payslips) it means she can't just set up in the U.K.

Me and my GF just went in there and told the truth, we said we were bf/gf and had the emails to prove it and we planned to visit my GF's sister.

Just document everything you can and provide multiples of everything

Passport photocopies (both yours and hers)

Flight confirmations

Emails

invitation Letters

Payslips or bank statements photocopied

I put everything in a folder and just gave them it and it seemed to be OK.

Hope that helps.

Mox. :o