Certificate of Residency for New Bank Account - Jomtien Immigration

They seem to be making it harder and harder. Last time I needed passport copies and original plus copy of rental agreement and the application form. They also now seem to be checking that the stapled address info in the back of your passport (not the 90 day report slip) is recent and accurate.

Don't bother trying to be smart and downloading the forms from the immigration website. Every time I've done this they've told me the forms are old and given me new ones and a trip to the back of the queue.

• Like 2

I suggest going there and seeing what they require, in the present.  Just this morning, I went to the CM immigration for Cert of Residency.  Although some helpful advice (on this forum) was provided, it wasn't up to date with what immigration needed "today".  I needed:

- application for Cert of Residency

- copy of passport info page

- copy of passport page showing the entry stamp

- copy of passport page showing "Allowed" date stamp (i.e. current visa)

- copy of TM-30

- one 2x2 picture

- 50 baht so they can mail my Cert of Residency via Thai Post (est. 3 weeks)

Good luck

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Very easy. They are correct that online application isn’t valid anymore. Just did mine yesterday.  You just need

your passport 

copy of passport face page 

copy of last entry page

2 photos 

fill out their  form. 
300 baht

got it the same day after an hours wait. Could have just gone the next day to pick it up. 
easy and painless 

good luck 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, howlee101 said:

I suggest going there and seeing what they require, in the present.  Just this morning, I went to the CM immigration for Cert of Residency.  Although some helpful advice (on this forum) was provided, it wasn't up to date with what immigration needed "today".  I needed:

- copy of TM-30

- one 2x2 picture

Good luck

Thanks, that is the start I needed.

I like to go prepared whenever I can.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BonMot said:

It's the worst of all the banks. Try another.

Not in my opinion, based on 16 years with Kasikorn and others. The last BKB account I opened was only possible because I confirmed to the manager that I was not American!!.........he didn't like Americans apparently.

SCB also require a Certificate of Residency. 

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Good advice.

This is one topic that has had changing requirements.

This is link for application. 

Note: regarding reason just tick car licence. 

https://aseannow.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=439173 48.26 kB · 1683 downloads  

Alternatively some choose to use agent to open bank account. Plenty in Pattaya.

Added note: Kasikorn bank does not require residence certificate if applicant has a non O extensions.

Thank you....... the link to the application form was very helpful.

Just to correct the out of date information above  -  Kasikorn DO require a Certificate of Residence for O extensions. It is a recent introduction, the girl explained.  SCB further down Beach Road have the same requirement - both checked my extension stamp.

Edited by hotandsticky

16 hours ago, Woof999 said:

They seem to be making it harder and harder. Last time I needed passport copies and original plus copy of rental agreement and the application form. They also now seem to be checking that the stapled address info in the back of your passport (not the 90 day report slip) is recent and accurate.

Don't bother trying to be smart and downloading the forms from the immigration website. Every time I've done this they've told me the forms are old and given me new ones and a trip to the back of the queue.

Another reason I began using an agent for all my Thai Immigration needs after doing everything myself for years.  I opened a new bank account late last year.  My agent got all the necessary paperwork and even met me at the bank.  All I did was sign my name - numerous times as is normal in Thailand - and pay a very small fee to my agent.  I am getting too old to have the patience to deal with bureaucrats from any country.  Opening the new bank account was simple and stress-free involving one trip to the bank.

• Sad 1

With the benefit of some of the above replies I presented my application perfectly.

Slick operation, straight in queued 5/10 mins, 3 mins to process and pay 300 Baht (Buriram was 500 Baht).

Will return in one hour to collect, time for a Cheap Charlie's breakfast.....

This was a slip given out by staff:-

IMG_20220805_104114.jpg

2 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

Just to correct the out of date information above  -  Kasikorn DO require a Certificate of Residence for O extensions. It is a recent introduction, the girl explained.  SCB further down Beach Road have the same requirement - both checked my extension stamp.

I think the "recent introduction" rule depends on which branch, and maybe even which member of staff you draw.

We very recently tried to open a joint account at a Kasikorn Branch in Bangkok, where we already had individual accounts.

The lass told us that it was a new requirement of the Bank of Thailand that I produced a letter from my Embassy, not a Residence Certifcate, this claim was confirmed by her manager, but my question asking what the Embassy had to confirm, met with blank stares from them both.

No point in arguing but we made a call to Kasikorn HQ who confirmed there was no such requirement, old or new, she didn't mention any requirement for a RC.

She she suggested that we return to the branch and ask again and if we got the same response we should call her and she would speak to the team member, she gave us her personal number.

My wife didn't want the clerk to lose face so she suggested we went to the main branch on Silom, where our account was opened without further ado. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I opened an account at K bank. Rama 9 branch a few years ago. The manager was a nice fellow.

Only showed my passport with my Non O and stay to date page.

I have had 2 different Bkk bank accounts. One in Korat, that I closed, and one here opened at Rama 9.    I have used Bkk bank for over 10 years. Deposited many thousands of baht per year. But that made no difference when I went to the Em Quartier branch to open a new account. I want a account just to use to make my monthly deposits.

BUT, I was told  that I had to have a letter from my Embassy. The clerk showed me the bank rules on her PC and even showed me an example of what she wanted.

The manage came over and confirmed, .. Said my Embassy had to certify my passport or something like that.

Made no difference that I have, or had in the past had, an account with that bank now.

bs!!!!

18 hours ago, howlee101 said:

- copy of TM-30

- one 2x2 picture

Good luck

All your passport  pages are in your passport  so all you need is your passport and a photograph and tm 30.  Hardly onerous. It's a 5 minute job in a kodak shop. Try  opening a bank  account in Britain- its really difficult- here is easy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Hammer2021 said:

All your passport  pages are in your passport  so all you need is your passport and a photograph and tm 30.  Hardly onerous. It's a 5 minute job in a kodak shop. Try  opening a bank  account in Britain- its really difficult- here is easy

For the record, I was getting a Certificate of Residency for my car license renewal....and never indicated it was onerous.  I simply provided information for the OP that each immigration location is different.  And thanks for pointing out all my passport pages are in my passport, who would've thought such a thing????

16 minutes ago, howlee101 said:

For the record, I was getting a Certificate of Residency for my car license renewal....and never indicated it was onerous.  I simply provided information for the OP that each immigration location is different.  And thanks for pointing out all my passport pages are in my passport, who would've thought such a thing????

Ah- they seemed  to be listed separately as though they need collating.

Car license  renewal?

This thread has the following title

"Certificate of Residency for New Bank Account - Jomtien Immigration"

Like alway for opening bank account  go to different branches , always the same in Thailand , different persons different strokes ......you need bank shopping here ...., but must say i had never a problem opening KK  bank account , but that was was 2008 ????, even a second one with a supporting letter from jomtien Immigr. desk 8 ,... found them always coperating good if you follow their rules .....and NO , no agent ever   ....

8 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Car license  renewal?

His point was that he needed a residence certificate as did the OP..

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Car license  renewal?

Cert of Residency is the same for a New Bank Account, license (car/motorbike), and/or buying/selling a car. And yes, the CM immigration office needed a copy of each.  Again, that's why I recommended he go to the local immigration office and see what was needed at "their office".  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

His point was that he needed a residence certificate as did the OP..

We all need various bits of bumf here  me included but  some people  find it more onerous than others. My resident  certificate took less than 10 minutes from Jomtien. It's easy and fast because  the staff at the IO are efficient  and helpful.

2 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Not difficult in the UK, if you are a UK resident. You just need address verification and ID - no certification from any outside party.

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

We all need various bits of bumf here  me included but  some people  find it more onerous than others. My resident  certificate took less than 10 minutes from Jomtien. It's easy and fast because  the staff at the IO are efficient  and helpful.

I agree about Jomtien Immigration. 

I find it unnecessary to provide a certificate of residence to open a bank account. When you have an O extension you have already proved your address - and reported it every 90 days.

Anyway, job done.

Just now, hotandsticky said:

I agree about Jomtien Immigration. 

I find it unnecessary to provide a certificate of residence to open a bank account. When you have an O extension you have already proved your address - and reported it every 90 days.

Anyway, job done.

Thank you. I feel my  visa extension  status and my TM 30, both the A4 computer print out and the 'flimsy' pinned in the passport show my residence/ address etc.  Why do people  make a mountain  out of a mole hill? HONESTLY GETTING THINGS DONE IS SO EASY HERE IN THAILAND!

7 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Why do people  make a mountain  out of a mole hill? HONESTLY GETTING THINGS DONE IS SO EASY HERE IN THAILAND!

Not everyone is handy to immigration. For some it's the better part of a day.

I don't see it as "so easy".

For TDL you need a residence certificate.

That in itself can be a 2 week process as per Bangkok where it is mailed out. 

Two years later repeat for 5 yr license.

You would think that it could be far more streamlined.

The requirement for residence certificate to open bank account for those folk on extensions and doing 90 day reports etc is ridiculous.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Not everyone is handy to immigration. For some it's the better part of a day.

I don't see it as "so easy".

For TDL you need a residence certificate.

That in itself can be a 2 week process as per Bangkok where it is mailed out. 

Two years later repeat for 5 yr license.

You would think that it could be far more streamlined.

The requirement for residence certificate to open bank account for those folk on extensions and doing 90 day reports etc is ridiculous.

Agree....for me unfortunately, it will be 3 weeks to get my Cert of Residency mailed (was told o/a 24 Aug). Then I have to go through the DLT office to get my renewal.  I'm positive "streamlined" is not a concept in Thailand government but then again, think about how many people would be put out of a job if things could be done electronically.  Nothing is simple with immigrations because the rules/requirements keep changing. What is required at CM is most likely different at Jomtien/Bangkok/Chiang Rai/etc.  

• Like 1