Expat living in los

4 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Shoes attract the ladies?

Nice shoes make your feet more comfortable.

Generally, I would recommend against clips, but if you are trying to make a quick getaway from the Skylane, you might need all the marginal gains you can get.

33 minutes ago, Hummin said:

The only thing that makes sense when someone do not have any wheels or transport by themselves is to seek out the best beaches! Check out Trang, and stay on the west coast, unless it is the rainy windy season. If I did not have my place and gf I would never ever lived voluntarily in Isaan, or any other mainland places without a decent tourist facilities. I guess I would have been done with Thailand by now, and been in Philippines instead maybe. 

Thanks, Hummin. Always a straight and helpful, ego-free answer from you. 

I don't have wheels and am finding a dearth of cab and sonthew options in Chiang Mai, not to mention no language schools open at the moment. I'm going to kill another 10 days here or so, but I think I'm likely Bangkok-bound (not a beach person. at all) where the BTS, more options for everything, and more prevalent A/C will likely be a better fit for this 4 days and counting expat.

The only reason I'm boring people with my newbie process is to convey to SparkTrader what he already knows: Until you're on the ground, you don't know nothin' and you should keep your options and expectations very open.

Edited by LaosLover

3 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

I don't have wheels and am finding a dearth of cab and sonthew options in Chiang Mai, not to mention no language schools open at the moment. I'm going to kill another 10 days here or so, but I think I'm likely Bangkok-bound (not a beach person. at all) where the BTS, more options for everything, and more prevalent A/C will likely be a better fit for this 4 days and counting expat.

The only reason I'm boring people with my newbie process is to convey to SparkTrader what he already knows: Until you're on the ground, you don't know nothin' and you should keep your options and expectations very open.

Im used to the heat

Ive been in april which is hottest

16 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

Don't let indecision or ignorance kill you with hesitation.  Leap in, both feet first, commit irrevocably to a course of action, and find out what can go wrong.  Learn from your mistakes - or mistake, if it is very serious.

Budget:  

2000 a day, massage(s)

60 baht:  Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner (20 baht noodle soup)

100 baht a week on used clothes

100 baht a week on random pills from pharmacy (see massages)

200 baht a month for internet (gotta use LINE for the massage girls).

3500 a month, fan room.   Even if you only stay 2 weeks, it's cheap enough.

50 baht a day on random things

Total:  Who cares,  YOLO

1 minute ago, Iamfalang said:

Budget:  

2000 a day, massage(s)

60 baht:  Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner (20 baht noodle soup)

100 baht a week on used clothes

100 baht a week on random pills from pharmacy (see massages)

200 baht a month for internet (gotta use LINE for the massage girls).

3500 a month, fan room.   Even if you only stay 2 weeks, it's cheap enough.

50 baht a day on random things

Total:  Who cares,  YOLO

And you won't get the deposit back on the Skylane bike, even if you get arrested or turn up a few weeks later 

1 minute ago, swissie said:

I think that "spark" is initially interested in "Thailand Overall". If that werent's so, he would have strictly focused on "girls".  Therefore not needing to travel much, just taking residence in Pattaya.

Didnt like patts before

Quiet bloke

• Like 1

Get the main cities out of the way, but don't be afraid to randomly get off the bus and spend 1 to 2 nights in some strange city.

It's in those strange cities where things happen that must be left unsaid.

you wake up the next morning and ask yourself, "Did I really do that?"   Well, whatever.....

Finding that special someone who hasn't spent time with a foreigner ever, or in a very long time.  And here you are.   A match made in ........ ah,.......... anyhow, memories.... 

1 minute ago, Sparktrader said:

Didnt like patts before

Quiet bloke

You'll see  a lot more of the country by bike, even if you ride it like it's stolen.

An eye mask and stripey shirt might help you keep in character, and will be completely over the head (not culturally understood) by the eager plod on your trail.

You might want to publish the journal of your escapades some days in arrears, in case there is a sleuth on your trail.

In grateful anticipation
S Cowboy  

27 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Didnt like patts before

Quiet bloke

You willl like rural Thailand for at least for 6 months. If not attached to a promising young Thai Female, you will return to semi-civilisation. = Pattaya. Because without learning one of the most diffficult languages, you will never be part of "rural Thailand". Unless your wallet helps you to "bridge-over" cultural differences.

Focus on Pattaya.

3 minutes ago, swissie said:

You willl like rural Thailand for at least for 6 months. If not attached to a promising young Thai Female, you will return to semi-civilisation. = Pattaya. Because without learning one of the most diffficult languages, you will never be part of "rural Thailand". Unless your wallet helps you to "bridge-over" cultural differences.

Focus on Pattaya.

Lots of cm thais speak english

• Like 1

I loved Phrae -for a day. Lots of old Teakwood buildings, near coma-chill vibe. Prob the most expat-absent place I've been to here. It's a schlep on the bus from CM tho. Nightlife options seem down to massage parlors. 

My own recent experience (all 4 days of it) convinces me that of what I already knew: A newbie should stick to the beaten path until they can converse in Thai at the level of a 5 year old.

A newbie lookin' for love in all the wrong places will probably be much happier where there's an established scene than trying to woo a karaoke singer in Nan. I'm not seeing how you break through in a nowheresville in a short time. It would be like getting off the bus in Meridian, Mississippi, poised for action.

On the upside, this is the emptiest I remember seeing in Thailand. My first trip was in '86 when there were still spaces between the buildings on Sukhamvit Road. But this current visit feels deader still.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

I loved Phrae -for a day. Lots of old Teakwood buildings, near coma-chill vibe. Prob the most expat-absent place I've been to here. It's a schlep on the bus from CM tho. Nightlife options seem down to massage parlors. 

My own recent experience (all 4 days of it) convinces me that of what I already knew: A newbie should stick to the beaten path until they can converse in Thai at the level of a 5 year old.

A newbie lookin' for love in all the wrong places will probably be much happier where there's an established scene than trying to woo a karaoke singer in Nan. I'm not seeing how you break through in a nowheresville in a short time. It would be like getting off the bus in Meridian, Mississippi, poised for action.

On the upside, this is the emptiest I remember seeing in Thailand. My first trip was in '86 when there were still spaces between the buildings on Sukhamvit Road. But this current visit feels deader still.

I speak lile a 4yo

All Thais speak basic English in Tourist Hot spots. Not so in the "Isaan*. A mixture of Thai and Khmer. No Farang has ever mastered this mix of languages satisfactory.

Therefore, the Swiss Embassy employs "Thai-Speakers" and "Khmer-Speakers" when it comes to any legal translation matters.

After your "bus-trip", covering rural-Thailand, you will probably end up in Pattaya. As the reward/expense  ratio is unsurpassed  within the Kingdom of Thailand.

1 minute ago, swissie said:

All Thais speak basic English in Tourist Hot spots. Not so in the "Isaan*. A mixture of Thai and Khmer. No Farang has ever mastered this mix of languages satisfactory.

Therefore, the Swiss Embassy employs "Thai-Speakers" and "Khmer-Speakers" when it comes to any legal translation matters.

After your "bus-trip", covering rural-Thailand, you will probably end up in Pattaya. As the reward/expense  ratio is unsurpassed  within the Kingdom of Thailand.

Isaan language is like Lao, most common

Not many Khmer speakers unless on border