Expat living in los

Oh Dear, the poor boy.

Outside of the tourist areas, Bangkok, Pattaya, and the islands.

If you you got dumped in any northern, northeastern city you could be anywhere in Thailand.

They are almost indistinguishable

Pick any of them  and you won't know where you are

4 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

Oh Dear, the poor boy.

Outside of the tourist areas, Bangkok, Pattaya, and the islands.

If you you got dumped in any northern, northeastern city you could be anywhere in Thailand.

Sounds like u never been

28 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

That can of worms is a problem.

My son, born in Singapore. We spoke English ,Thai and Issan Lao, which really is Lao, go to Vientiene and you're understood.

He never did get his head around why at school he needed to speak Thai, when as soon as he left the school he was good in Lao and English.

As some kinds backlash to this, he lives in the US now, and a point of principle he won't speak Thai to either me or his Mom.

I speak Thai and Lao and obviously English but he will never speak to me  Thai, only Lao or English

Edited by GinBoy2

2 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

That can of worms is a problem.

My son, born in Singapore. We spoke English ,Thai and Issan Lao, which really is Lao, go to Vientiene and you're understood.

He never did get his head around why at school he needed to speak Thai, when as soon as he left the school he was good in Lao and English.

As some kinds backlash to this, he lives in the US now, and a point of principle he won't speak Thai to either me or his Mom.

I speak Thai and Lao and obviously English but he will never speak to me  Thai, only Lao or English

Thai is official language

Isaan is 80% Lao not exact

2 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Thai is official language

Isaan is 80% Lao not exact

That is true.

When we lived in Singapore my wife taught me Isaan Lao.

When we lived in Isaan my my wife's grandmother, perfected my lao to be true Lao.

We've been many times to Laos, and my better true Lao than my wife's, is equally understood.

I don't think folks understand that is if you speak both languages, they really are kissing cousins

8 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Gotta largely agree, except Ubon has a little bit of a downtown and Nong Khai has the river.

But going to Udon and KK is like ordering French fries and curly fries at the same meal.

• Like 1

On 8/5/2022 at 8:36 AM, LaosLover said:

Gotta largely agree, except Ubon has a little bit of a downtown and Nong Khai has the river.

But going to Udon and KK is like ordering French fries and curly fries at the same meal.

Says the laoslover ????????????????. <deleted> me hows the irony.