Do you have a Thai name ?

Damrongsak

12 hours ago, carlyai said:

We married to the same person?

Lucky both of you. My wife hears me but does not listen to what I say and she will rattle off something until I stop her.

Then I repeat what I said and this time she does listen and tries to understand.

11 hours ago, 2long said:

My wife and her family call me ee-kwai but I don't know what it means.

They said it's a term of great respect but I can't find an accurate translation. 

Shouldn't that be ai kwai (Mr Buffalo).  ai is for men and ee is for women.

I refer to my wife as ee-gaa in front of her family and friends.  ????

Edited by Damrongsak

13 minutes ago, Damrongsak said:

Shouldn't that be ai kwai (Mr Buffalo).  ai is for men and ee is for women.

I refer to my wife as ee-gaa in front of her family and friends.  ????

Thanks.

It was tongue in cheek. I was just joking.

Never had a Thai name but have been called quite a few things.

When I lived in my wife's village some older women called me 'Darling' only because they heard my wife calling me that. ( if only they knew what it meant) 

Similar to when my kids were young, their friends would call me 'Daddy' only because they'd heard my daughters or son calling me that.

On 8/5/2022 at 2:45 PM, sipi said:

Farang.

That used to be my name as well....... but after many years I was granted a last name added,

I suspect because the girls on Soi 7  thought so highly of me ..

ฝรั่ง  รู้มาก   " Farang Rumak"      Since so many others are called Farang....   I just go by Rumak

note:  i will admit,  it wasn't so easy attracting those sweet ladies after a while.   hmmmmm

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, rumak said:

That used to be my name as well....... but after many years I was granted a last name added,

I suspect because the girls on Soi 7  thought so highly of me ..

ฝรั่ง  รู้มาก   " Farang Rumak"      Since so many others are called Farang....   I just go by Rumak

note:  i will admit,  it wasn't so easy attracting those sweet ladies after a while.   hmmmmm

that's the short version isn't it? your full name should be "Farang Rumak Mai Dee" ????

On 8/5/2022 at 9:45 AM, sipi said:

Farang.

I hear you Bro.      As soon as I arrived in the sticks, the villagers wanted to give me a Thai name. Intensive consultations among the villagers ensued. But "the westerner" wasn't fat or thin, not rich not poor, not loud not silent, not frivolous not monk like, just a "bland", scandal free westener.

Due to the lack of any physical or mental peculiarities of mine, the overall consensus was to call me FARANG-U. ("U" is the first letter of my first name).

Coming to know the first name of my Thai neighbors over time, I adressed them with "Hello Thai -A. (or whatever their first letter of their first name was). Lot's of giggles locally. Even made it to a very local newspaper. More giggles.

Fond memories.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, swissie said:

I hear you Bro.      As soon as I arrived in the sticks, the villagers wanted to give me a Thai name. Intensive consultations among the villagers ensued. But "the westerner" wasn't fat or thin, not rich not poor, not loud not silent, not frivolous not monk like, just a "bland", scandal free westener.

Due to the lack of any physical or mental peculiarities of mine, the overall consensus was to call me FARANG-U. ("U" is the first letter of my first name).

Coming to know the first name of my Thai neighbors over time, I adressed them with "Hello Thai -A. (or whatever their first letter of their first name was). Lot's of giggles locally. Even made it to a very local newspaper. More giggles.

Fond memories.

In the real world my name is Phillip, which Thai's manage to butcher to "Piwlip".

Even Phil comes out as Piw.

So "falang" is actually as close as they can get.

Occasionally I still get called Piw.

• Like 1