New phone purchase

superal

I have delayed renewing my old phone because I could not make my mind up with so many on the market but in a moment of weakness my lady convinced me to buy a modest VIVO  on a 1 year contract whereby the phone cost is billed alongside your monthly subs . All ok until I was asked to pick out a new number to which I said that I wanted to retain my old number . The shop ( DTAC ) said that is OK but I would have to pay an additional 200 baht a month to keep my old number . Not understand because I have been with the DTAC shop with the same number for 2 or 3 years . Is the additional 200 baht charge the norm ?

Sometimes phone network companies won't transfer the number, just the way it is based on the sim you bought before.

If you've already sealed the deal, hopefully you have a 2 sim phone so put old and new sim in phone, no need for monthly 200 baht, just top up occasionally 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Sometimes phone network companies won't transfer the number, just the way it is based on the sim you bought before.

If you've already sealed the deal, hopefully you have a 2 sim phone so put old and new sim in phone, no need for monthly 200 baht, just top up occasionally 

In Thailand the phones are unlocked so using a SIM from any company in any phone is not an issue

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

i know, that's not the point, sometimes they won't transfer the number which is different 

It is the point. They don't need to transfer the number you use the network of the SIM card. If, which is not what you say, you want to use a different carrier then obviously you need to buy a suitable SIM card. The post is just about the phone not the SIM card.

• Thanks 1

I’d walk away from this.

Go with a different operator who will take your original number. 

I’ve never had issues switching number to a new operator (no extra charges).

Currently we have our package (internet / TV / Cell-Sim), I was able to keep my original number.

Expected hassle, there was none.

Try True -  they may offer a better arrangement in transferring your number for no extra cost. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Have not sealed the deal because I did not like the 200 baht a month charge to keep my old number . I am already with DTAC and they want to hit me with 200 baht a month for keeping my existing number . This is the reason for my post , asking why is it ? and already using my sim with DTAC . So it is the principle of charging me 2400 baht for the 1 year , using my existing sim card . Where is the sense or justice ?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, superal said:

Have not sealed the deal because I did not like the 200 baht a month charge to keep my old number . I am already with DTAC and they want to hit me with 200 baht a month for keeping my existing number . This is the reason for my post , asking why is it ? and already using my sim with DTAC . So it is the principle of charging me 2400 baht for the 1 year , using my existing sim card . Where is the sense or justice ?

Go to a competitor - they’ll likely have the same phone deal Trx your number across for free. 

For what it’s worth, my Wife got a good deal (DTAC - iPhone 12 - monthly contract) and could use her existing number with no extra charges. So I don’t know why they won’t allow you to do the same. 

24 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

It is the point. They don't need to transfer the number you use the network of the SIM card. If, which is not what you say, you want to use a different carrier then obviously you need to buy a suitable SIM card. The post is just about the phone not the SIM card.

It is about my existing DTAC sim card that DTAC wanted to charge me 200 baht a month to keep , so I declined the deal as I have many contacts with my old number . This has to be a rip off which is taking advantage of the customers panic into retaining all established contacts .

40 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

you've missed the point again, he wants to use his old number, often you can just port number to a new network, same network sometime they say no

12 minutes ago, superal said:

It is about my existing DTAC sim card that DTAC wanted to charge me 200 baht a month to keep , so I declined the deal as I have many contacts with my old number . This has to be a rip off which is taking advantage of the customers panic into retaining all established contacts .

Yep, as you declined then buy a phone only and put your existing sim in if happy with the data etc you are receiving. As a suggestion Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 will be fine, about 5k baht, i have the Note 9 and it's been good

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, superal said:

Sometimes same networks have you over a barrel. I called my network said i planned to leave and asked what they could offer me, got the best deal available.

If you don't fancy that just buy a Lazada sim deal and use both new and old in your phone

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

If you don't fancy that just buy a Lazada sim deal and use both new and old in your phone

That will probably cost him more extra than the 200 THB/month plus some extra hassle.

Edited by JimmyJ

3 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

18 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Yep, as you declined then buy a phone only and put your existing sim in if happy with the data etc you are receiving. As a suggestion Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 will be fine, about 5k baht, i have the Note 9 and it's been good

Did you buy from  Lazada and are they to be trusted as selling the real thing as opposed to copies that they seem to be known for ?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, superal said:

Just buy a phone and put the SIM card in. It will work.

• Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, superal said:

Did you buy from  Lazada and are they to be trusted as selling the real thing as opposed to copies that they seem to be known for ?

I have no problem with buying both from Lazada, just look at seller reviews, how many followers etc, just don't buy from people with no history

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, superal said:

Maybe you misunderstood what they were saying, Did they want to charge 200 baht to your existing number as well as a monthly co payment for the phone? 

If so walk away

Edited by norbra
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, norbra said:

Maybe you misunderstood what they were saying, Did they want to charge 200 baht to your existing number as well as a monthly co payment for the phone? 

If so walk away

You are correct . 200 baht a month for 12 months = 2400 baht and that is on top of the monthly payment for the new phone and line . I could not believe it and had it confirmed in writing and put my money back in my wallet and walked away . It had me thinking if it was a farang extra levy because the serving girls all looked at me sheepishly .

Suspect you are talking about the special offer to new customers of phone for as little as 5 baht?  This is not for current customers from my reading and conditions clearly state a new DTAC number is required to purchase discounted phone - item 4 of terms and conditions:

Customers open a new dtac number on a monthly basis. Must register a monthly number for a natural person first. Get the right to buy the device at a special price. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, superal said:

Sounds very unreasonable to me ..... I've had the same number with AIS for 14 years, and in that time changed from a business contract to personal and several different plans and 3 or 4 sim cards.  No additional costs to keep my number.

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

you've missed the point again, he wants to use his old number, often you can just port number to a new network, same network sometime they say no

You also missed the point. You cannot port to the same network.

In addition to this, it is unclear if the existing number is Prepaid or Postpay.