Can I please get some clarity on the Thai Teaching License???

On 10/30/2022 at 1:14 PM, Barnet1900 said:

I've heard that you now need to do a QTS course to get a license if you graduated after 2019, even with an education degree.

Is that true?

Not quite.

If you undertake one of the more reputable PGCEi courses then you will be able to sit the TCT exams. If you pass those, then you will get a permanent license.

Let's face it, the rules regarding applying for a full licence have been in effect for many years. Sure, some tweaks have been made but the end result has generally been the same.

Anyone who is on the end of a 3rd waiver has had 6 years to get sorted. Rather foolish to wait until 3 months from unemployment to make your move.

Edited by puchooay

7 hours ago, puchooay said:

Let's face it, the rules regarding applying for a full licence have been in effect for many years. Sure, some tweaks have been made but the end result has generally been the same.

Anyone who is on the end of a 3rd waiver has had 6 years to get sorted. Rather foolish to wait until 3 months from unemployment to make your move.

Going back quite a few years, the rules were constantly changing.  I think a fair number of people really thought they would eventually go away.   There is no doubt that in the past number of years, the reality is that the regulations would not go away.  

In my experience, those who really found teaching to be a calling, they started upgrading.  Unfortunately, for some that meant taking courses that didn't quite fulfill the requirements -- including those who returned to school and got degrees that didn't qualify for the TL. 

Quite a few people also fell into teaching after falling in love either with Thailand or one of its many alluring people.  They then had used up precious time. 

The other issue is that those who changed schools also used up waivers.  The waiver actually belongs to the school and permits the school to employ you as a teacher.  If you leave the school and go to another school, they have to apply for a new waiver.  The waiver does not follow the teacher.  

• Thumbs Up 1