3.3 million foreigners traveled to Thailand since January 2022: report

snoop1130

47 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Your Malaysian and Laos numbers are going to be for migrant workers not tourists.

That would be my guess for most of the Laotian travellers too, while a good number of the Malaysians might be doing business in Thailand, staying just for a day. - So, yeah, almost 700,000 Indians, Singaporeans, and Brits. Perhaps, a few hundred thousand other Europeans (I just read somewhere that 76,000 Russians travelled to Thailand this year, well off the 1 million target set by the government), Americans, Aussies, and Arabs...

Hardly reminiscent of 2019 numbers.

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

I know several people who live in THailand and flew in and out.. They are counted too as tourist so it looks a lot but the real number of tourists.............. Oh we know this is Thailand

That would explain the relatively high numbers of travellers from the UK and the U.S. (#5 in recent news articles, while Laotians were not even mentioned)... ????

Guess, Laotian, British, and American tourists spend long holidays here.

Edited by StayinThailand2much

10 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Your Malaysian and Laos numbers are going to be for migrant workers not tourists.

Indeed. 

Or if they were "day-traders", the same person may have been counted a hundred times.

Also, transit passengers and airline crew may have been counted as "foreigners entering".

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Rmac442 said:

Guess many like myself, after 3 years, finally travelled to Europe and back .... Definitely not a tourist 

Yet they counted you as one...same with myself and the GF who flew to the US and back...

2 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

The obsession with tourism and it's numbers continues on.

You forgot to mention the false, over-inflated numbers reported by TAT.  Everyone who enters and is not a Thai is counted as a tourist.  Foreign workers, people visiting family and transit passengers just for starters.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

That would explain the relatively high numbers of travellers from the UK and the U.S. (#5 in recent news articles, while Laotians were not even mentioned)... ????

Guess, Laotian, British, and American tourists spend long holidays here.

Laotions pass the border in the north with almost no flying......same Myanmar and Cambodia and even Malaysia

• Like 1

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

1.) Malaysia, 4.2 hundred thousand; 2.) India, 3.37 hundred thousand; 3.) Singapore, 1.83 hundred thousand; 4.) The United Kingdom, 1.67 hundred thousand, and; 5.) Laos, 1.57 hundred thousand, TAT Governor Yuthasak Supasorn told the Associated Press

My eyes hurt reading the number formatting. Perhaps the TAT is on the way to recreating their own arcane numerical system to avoid the criticism that they are always wrong, every time.

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) reveals that a total of 3.3 million foreign tourists have traveled to Thailand between January and July 2022.

A percentage of those were tourists.

But hey why spoil a good fantasy.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, ikke1959 said:

Laotions pass the border in the north with almost no flying......same Myanmar and Cambodia and even Malaysia

Your point is what? That they only count fliers....try again travelers cross land borders as well and Laos, Cambodians and Malaysia do not generally fly...

• Like 1

https://m.thaiwebsites.com/tourists-nationalities-Thailand.asp

The bar stool detectives are not doing great work...in 2019 Thailand counted 4 mil Malaysians and almost 2 mil Laotians tourists out of 39 mil arrivals. The methods of counting seems to be consistent. Whether these are full blown tourists is questionable, but the proportions are mostly in line with the pre-covid times.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Caldera said:

<Snip

How many returning expats included?

<Snip

I'm one, lived here for 20+ years and returned on a "Re-Entry Permit" mid July after a month away. I'll bet (illegally) TAT has salted their figures mine and others like my return!!!

• Like 2

3.3 Million may have indeed travelled to the Kingdom.

But of those there will be a probably around 40 / 50 % who were on a single night stopover before flying onward.

There will also be a high number of Fi-Fo travelers, and returnees to their Families

The actual number who stopped and vacationed in the Country will be about Half the published number ( if that )

Good old TAT, can always be relied upon to big things up

• Like 1

20 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Also, what do tourists from Laos like to see and do in Thailand, I wonder? Savour spicy food, see a temple, or get a sun tan?

The latter. Have you not heard of sun tan Laotions? 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Caldera said:

Most from neighboring (and nearby like Singapore) countries, presumably for short trips. 

How many returning expats included?

Underwhelming figures IMHO.

I wonder if Singaporeans are coming to smoke weed. A lot of Singaporeans I know have visited Amsterdam when in Europe for that reason. Rebelling against the strict rules in SG?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

True. But I reckon, the overland travellers are included in the tourist arrival tally. Or have you ever heard of the TAT underreporting tourist arrivals?

Can you give me 1 publication from Thailand that is not maipulated??

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Ah, here we go again. No different  Please show me some evidence that they count people who are transiting and don't pass immigration.

There is none.

No different than the TAT, can you supply evidence that the TAT numbers are correct,  doubt it.