Police to prosecute Mountain B owner for negligence over locked exits

webfact

6 hours ago, webfact said:

He said all pub owners should think about the safety of customers and not flouting rules with backhanders to the authorities. 

Well, right there is an open admission that these kind of Establishments are are inside the Honey Pot of the Authorities.

Until corruption and all the disgusting side effects of it, and the people that are associated with it are totally eradicated, these kind of terrible events will continue to happen in pursuit of greed.

RIP the poor souls that have lost their lives, in order that just a few people get to say " do you know who I am ? "over the greed issue.

God speed a full recovery to those who have also been badly burned Etc in the incident.

I hope the greedy all have to pay for the rest of their miserable lives for the pain and suffering they have inflicted upon the innocent

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Manageress, not owner.  

You need to inform the Daily Mirror.

There is still speculation as to who the real owner is.  I suggest you read previous posts. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Excel said:

So bank rolled by a Chinese person maybe ? Why would they want a pub anyway unless it was perhaps dual purpose for gambling perhaps

Why not? There are many Chinese small entrepreneurs out there. Many don't look that big, many wouldn't want to touch gambling because it is too illegal and too risky. Running a nightclub on the wrong license is just a little illegal and quite normal, nothing that a bit of corruption money can't fix until it is corrected also in China outside the tier 1 and 2 cities. 

Many entrepreneurs of all nationalities see little wrong in using highly flammable cheap sound insulation and acoustic materials because its half the price. I bet Elon musk is the same, except that he's moved on to thinking the same way about much bigger things. 

Until something like yesterday happens. 

And I bet both a Thai and a Chinese (not confirmed) entrepreneur would think much more about what happened yesterday than Elon musk would. 

Edited by MikeyIdea
  • Like 1

It is odd to me that in this and other threads Nothing has been mentioned about which authority allowed to club to be built as it was with only 1 standard 80cm entry and exit door. Granted there were supposedly 2 fire exits, both it seems locked from the outside.

There should be a record of the club's permit to build signed off by probably 3 people, plus the inspection record with the name and details of the person whose job it was to check the building stages.

I suspect that that paperwork may also have got caught up in the fire also.

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, John Drake said:

The videos are so gruesome I don't see how they can cover it up. The man engulfed in flames crumpling to the parking lot in the background. The young girl with several fires sprouting around her back, neck, and face. The young man walking by calmly apparently unaware that his back has been burnt badly. It was like watching survivors from the Hindenburg. 

that’s the part of this that, rightly or wrongly, is a big deal.

this is a “high-vis” event … kind of like the young lady killed in the crosswalk…  you just can’t have all those videos online and on social media and not have the authorities make arrests… they effectively have to.. they’re in a corner in that respect..

… as such, it’s going to be hard for anyone to effectively make it just “go away” ….  a few people will have to pay the price…. people will have to be arrested.. people will have to go to prison… 

the tragedy in that respect is that i’ll reasonably bet that the true perpetrators, the people who benefited from this venue, won’t be the ones who are paying the price… 

but that’s not unique to Thailand… but i’ll bet that this is how the tragedy will ultimately end.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

What dousing equipment do you think that the pub-goers had to hand?

You just can not let it go, plenty of folks outside may have had water bottles etc.....try and be a good chap and stop taking personal shots at folks. Your day will get better....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Excel said:

Whilst that may seem strange and uncaring then considering the time of day and the type of establishment perhaps many of them were simply blind drunk, high on pot or other drugs and hence had little grip on reality

No it is the mentality to stand there and video with your phone instead of help which is sick

This as the manageress claimed that the exits were not locked at the facility where 14 died and dozens were injured

to paraphrase mr zimmerman; 'she said it so it must be true...'

actually, should be pretty easy to establish if they were locked or not from evidence on site and survivors testimony.

9 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

In my native UK I believe that anyone can look up a register to see who owns a company as well as other info about it. But even if such a system exists in Thailand I doubt that it would be much use as it would only show a pretend owner, a front man, if a VIP was behind it. Thailand excels in smoke and mirrors. Add to that the libel laws whose sole purpose is to protect the guilty.....

The owner is Pongsiri Panprasong, 27 yrs old. Quite young to own a nightclub. Probably well connected. This was posted in the local press. 

9 hours ago, Will B Good said:

You are never going to be protected in Thailand by rules and regulations.......your only option is to take personal responsibility for your own safety.

I mentally have a PEP for every place I go and if I'm not happy I leave. 

Many night clubs, and massage parlors in particular, are death traps

I also have safety measures for that. My wife won't let me go to night clubs or massage parlours.

If there is collusion with the police which wouldn't surprise me then sadly there will always be a danger in these types of establishments

• Like 1

15 hours ago, AndyFoxy said:

The thing that got me is no one is trying to help put the fires on their body out. How about taking one’s shirt off and trying to beat out the flames.

Lack of education on how to handle this situation. I propose that the Thai fire departments make regular visits to schools to teach the students about fire safety. Not optimistic. 

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, Kinnock said:

Real owners name too.  Pretty sure the guy going to jail is not the money.

The police has been very quick distancing themselves, turned 5 of their own over to the district attorney for their investigation, we're probably going to see sentences for criminal negligence in this case (police visited the venue 3 times but allowed it to continue business. 

Depending on how very high up the money comes from, I'd say its quite likely they'll follow the bank transfers and go for the one who financed this. 

What happens depends on the da (District attorney) at the end of the dsy, not the police

Edited by MikeyIdea

12 minutes ago, MikeyIdea said:

The police has been very quick distancing themselves, turned 5 of their own over to the district attorney for their investigation, we're probably going to see sentences for criminal negligence in this case (police visited the venue 3 times but allowed it to continue business. 

Depending on how very high up the money comes from, I'd say its quite likely they'll follow the bank transfers and go for the one who financed this. 

What happens depends on the da (District attorney) at the end of the dsy, not the police

One can only hope that they truly investigate this Shell corporation, pay-off's (Bribes), and then learn from the cause of the fire and institute safety measures and mandate all clubs using the same types of insulation are shutdown and only reopened once they have been fixed with true safety insulation.  But alas this is Thailand, and I have never observed money flowing back into a business to keep it up to codes and safety inspections done regularly and fines levied if they are not.  Sad really when one thinks about it.  My GF and I like to go to clubs and listen to live bands, Hilary 1, and the club next to the LaT Prao Big C where I watched Sek loso and a few others.  After seeing this the GF said sorry but we will not be going to listen to live music anymore unless it is at an outside venue.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, webfact said:

The owner will face the negligence causing death charges and operating without a licence as well as illegally adapting the building.

How many facilities are like this?

The police as we know collect rent money every month, yet this continues to happen.

Operating without a licence should mean it's closed down until a licence is produced.

But as we know a blind eye is turned as long as the money keeps rolling in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

One can only hope that they truly investigate this Shell corporation, pay-off's (Bribes), and then learn from the cause of the fire and institute safety measures and mandate all clubs using the same types of insulation are shutdown and only reopened once they have been fixed with true safety insulation.  But alas this is Thailand, and I have never observed money flowing back into a business to keep it up to codes and safety inspections done regularly and fines levied if they are not.  Sad really when one thinks about it.  My GF and I like to go to clubs and listen to live bands, Hilary 1, and the club next to the LaT Prao Big C where I watched Sek loso and a few others.  After seeing this the GF said sorry but we will not be going to listen to live music anymore unless it is at an outside venue.

There's a lot about following regulations but they concentrate on number of fire exits, they must not be locked (a couple of workers openly said they were locked to stop people leaving without paying), places must be closed until updated.

I miss a discussion about not using materials that follow regulations. That fire really exploded, must have been flammable sound insulation and acoustic material. Thailand has regulations but... (TIS). That would have bought the guests 2 minutes extra, enough for them all to get out. So sad

Hope they get to flammable materials too. Not yet, not yet 

Edited by MikeyIdea
  • Thanks 1

The headline might be wrong and I hence rather suggest to change it against the following: 

Police to prosecute THEMSELVES for corruption, non-adherence to laws, regulations and common sense. 

Will never happen; oncemore again though they cannot stick that onto the dirty farang's back. While there are plenty of crooks of foreign lands roaming Thailand the biggest, by far, impact comes from Thais. 

Thailand's biggest enemy is its own people, latter cheering, clapping hands and handing out little "tokens of appreciation" for building permits, business operations, enrolling kids at schools etc. etc. The list is endless. Do I care - no - it is not my circus and not my monkeys! 

2 hours ago, MikeyIdea said:

I miss a discussion about not using materials that follow regulations. That fire really exploded, must have been flammable sound insulation and acoustic material.

A report I saw said that the people coming out of the building with fires erupting all over them were burning because of the foam insulation catching fire and dripping on them. It wasn't their clothes on fire but liquified foam.

• Sad 1

I'm alright Jack:

#Thai police summoned Mr. Pongpat Rungroj, 22, last night after being seen in a viral photo on social media walking out of the #Sattahip Mountain B nightclub fire that killed fifteen people and injured dozens with a bottle of alcohol and mixers.

https://twitter.com/The_PattayaNews/status/1556093996207722496

6 minutes ago, anchadian said:

I'm alright Jack:

#Thai police summoned Mr. Pongpat Rungroj, 22, last night after being seen in a viral photo on social media walking out of the #Sattahip Mountain B nightclub fire that killed fifteen people and injured dozens with a bottle of alcohol and mixers.

https://twitter.com/The_PattayaNews/status/1556093996207722496

So who is this guy that was seen coming out  and the police felt the need to summons him ? Not the owner as a different name has been reported for him elsewhere together with the fact he is 27, this fellow is only 22 according to the report.