RTP accepts that mass shootings are not just a US thing: Run-Hide-Fight advice from FBI

webfact

Just now, Mac Mickmanus said:

You don't know, do you ???? 

Wasn't it just farmers who got restricted  in the size of guns they could own for hunting ?

I do know but its vering off topic and its all in the article and the links within the article to the sources so try again and stop the pathetic baiting

Just now, Bkk Brian said:

I do know but its vering off topic and its all in the article and the links within the article to the sources so try again and stop the pathetic baiting

You made a false statement and I pointed that out .

You cannot back up your claims, because they are not true 

Strict Gun control laws were in place before the mass shooting 

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Are you having problems reading? this is what I claimed:

"We all know that and they got a whole lot stricter after the shooting. No mass shootings since"

Since you are finding it difficult to follow links:

By the following year, Parliament had banned private ownership of most handguns, as well as semi-automatic weapons, and required mandatory registration for shotgun owners. There have been no school shootings in the U.K since then.

5 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Are you having problems reading? this is what I claimed:

"We all know that and they got a whole lot stricter after the shooting. No mass shootings since"

Since you are finding it difficult to follow links:

By the following year, Parliament had banned private ownership of most handguns, as well as semi-automatic weapons, and required mandatory registration for shotgun owners. There have been no school shootings in the U.K since then.

The gun ownership laws were very strict in the UK even before the shootings, and they just got even stricter .

As there were not any  mass shootings prior to the stricter  gun ban , its quite likely that the even stricter gun laws were not the reason why there have been no mass shootings since 

4 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

The gun ownership laws were very strict in the UK even before the shootings, and they just got even stricter .

As there were not any  mass shootings prior to the stricter  gun ban , its quite likely that the even stricter gun laws were not the reason why there have been no mass shootings since 

So an apology due on your post below making this false claim, the school mass shooting was 1 year before the stricter laws

22 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

https://www.npr.org/2022/06/01/1102239642/school-shooting-dunblane-massacre-uvalde-texas-gun-control

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/how-1996-dunblane-massacre-pushed-uk-enact-stricter-gun-laws-180977221/

Edited by Bkk Brian

3 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

You misunderstood me 

Strict gun laws were in place already BEFORE the shooting 

When the shooting happened, the strict gun rules got even stricter 

Did you understand ?

Strict >shooting>stricter

10 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

You misunderstood me 

Strict gun laws were in place already BEFORE the shooting 

When the shooting happened, the strict gun rules got even stricter 

Did you understand ?

Strict >shooting>stricter

Goodnight better things to do than deal with tedious trolling

Edited by Bkk Brian

10 hours ago, ChrisKC said:

Difference between USA and Thailand is that in USA just about everyone has a gun and millions have more than one.

This definitely predisposes the risk of any kind of shooting frenzy or otherwise in USA and very much less likely in Thailand.

I think something like 30% of people own guns.

The total count is more guns than people cuz a lot of those 30% own multiple guns.

The stats are not really that reliable as often they are self-report surveys.

Also, some data refers to households with guns which makes it complicated as multiple people in the household may own guns and some household members don't.

But gun killings and woundings in the US are apparently the worst in the world.

But not really true that just about everyone has a gun.

14 hours ago, Neeranam said:

"66% are on prescription drugs. "

Psychiatric drugs or drugs that have side effects that affect emotions or perception?

I mean that if a person is on prescription medication for high cholesterol he probably doesn't have an increased tendency towards violence.

"over 25% have mental illness"

Again, do all mental illnesses increase tendency towards violence?

The fact is clear that the US has a problem with shootings, no argument there, but it isn't clear that all these things are risk factors for violence.

They say it can happen and they say how to respond. In Norway there was a shooting about a month ago and the public brought the shooter down. The police was there after about 6 minutes and the shooter was handed over. 2 dead and numerous wounded. Thanks to the great man and women who interacted no more where killed. Why is it wrong to tell the public how to react? Makes sense to me.

16 hours ago, ozimoron said:

There isn't one in any country.

It is possible that a mass shooting can and has occurred in Thailand but they will never see a pattern of them . There isn't a cult machine gun loving community that conflates its love of assault rifles with racial animus and grievance, backed by religion. Furthermore, Thailand is blessed not have the Murdoch press pouring gasoline onto the fire.

In my view the British Territorial Army definitely counts.  Don't know enough about the US National Guard to judge if that is well regulated.

How about BANNING all weapons, like Australia did, and like Britain did Eons sgo.

There can still be exceptions, Bird Scarers,  Shooting Clubs  !

Oh I forgot, -  it has to be regulated, licenced, and monitored,  there's room for manoevre  !

Edited by rovinman
Spelling
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, ChrisKC said:

You are right, I don't know how many illegal guns in Thailand and neither do the Authorities know! But I think it is very unlikely that illegally owned guns in Thailand amounts to millions!

There is a thread here where it was speculated that one in seven households possessed a gun of some sort.  If this is remotely true it is a great concern.  I agree that most of the guns here are illegal.

I did a search but can't find the thread.

19 hours ago, ChrisKC said:

Your comment isn't comparable to Thailand with USA.

Firstly, there are four times as many people in USA, 

Secondly, there are far more guns in the hands of people that ARE legal in USA as well as yet more illegally owned; as I understand it, about 300 million guns out there in the public sector

You are right, I don't know how many illegal guns in Thailand and neither do the Authorities know! But I think it is very unlikely that illegally owned guns in Thailand amounts to millions!

Mass shootings in Thailand are extremely rare, in USA not so - and this is to do with the gun laws that allow just about anybody to own one or even more!

Yes America has more guns, more people, and far more crazies running around with guns than Thailand, that's what makes Thailand such a great place to live. Why else would we be here?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:
13 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I an't think of any, after searching. 

Scotland had one mass shooting. After, we banned guns and haven't had another since, it's decades now. The US should follow our wisdom, it's not rocket science. 

Expand  

Weren't guns also banned in Scotland BEFORE that mass shooting ?

No, there has never been an overall ban on guns in the UK which legislates firearms in Scotland.

Along the FBI advice to run, hide, fight, the facility where my wife's restaurant is that has a little over 100 individual business', in the United States, had an active shooter exercise.   It was run by the local police department.   The, alleged, police officer active shooter was armed with an AR15 (no, it wasn't an assault rifle) that was loaded with mini paint balls.  Being shot with one you would know you were hit.  It hurt and raised a small welt. 

The shooter walked in the back door, you could hear some shots from the rifle he had.  We had been instructed that the first thing to do was run from the sound of the shots and try to leave the building.  If unable to leave the building then hide.  If unable to hide, the last thing we were told to do was fight!

I ran in the direction of the shots.  Saw the "police officer shooter" walking down an aisle occasionally shooting his rifle, and hid until he walked by.  He shot 3 people he found "hiding" before he reached me.  Less than 5 minutes had passed.   As he walked by me, I pointed my, finger gun, at his head and shouted bang!  He turned quickly and I shouted bang again and yelled head shot, you are dead!

What was the police officer shooters reaction?  He said, you can't have a gun, this is a no gun zone!?!?   I said you are supposedly an active shooter in a no gun zone too!  You are still supposed to be dead from a head shot!   ...  He then shot me in the stomach with his AR15 paint ball gun (which could still shoot real bullets after changing out the bolt). 

The police officer shooter then went on with the active shooter exercise drill that lasted about 45 minutes!  Even though he was shot dead!!

14 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You're really unaware of the RTP's collaboration with the FBI agents in Thailand?

So, why don't you enlighten us all, sharing your profound knowledge on this specific subject and explain with links and confirmatory detail ? Of course if you cannot provide factual and irrefutable information then guess we will all have to draw our own conclusions as to your actual depth of knowledge.

19 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

There hasn't been a mass shooter events in my home nation for 30 years. Why? Because the government in the interest of public safety and oh what else was it ??? ... oh yes sanity .... banned all semi and automatic weapons and placed an amnesty on handing them in as well as hefty fines and jail for anyone who kept one.

Hence zero, yes zero mass shootings since.

I'm sure it will make some here mad as heck but as a reasonably sane person I am loathe to take any, I repeat any American advice about guns, gun death, and prevention.

If your referring to Australia, maybe not mass shootings but still plenty of other shootings, usually between gang members of Middle Eastern origin, so perhaps that’s not a problem.