RTP accepts that mass shootings are not just a US thing: Run-Hide-Fight advice from FBI

webfact

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Pol Col Siriwat Deephor acknowledged that such events were not just a US phenomenon. It could happen in Thailand.

It has happened in Thailand. But, anyway, nice of him to acknowledge that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mahtin said:

Fight?

A well regulated militia in Thailand?

There isn't one in any country.

It is possible that a mass shooting can and has occurred in Thailand but they will never see a pattern of them . There isn't a cult machine gun loving community that conflates its love of assault rifles with racial animus and grievance, backed by religion. Furthermore, Thailand is blessed not have the Murdoch press pouring gasoline onto the fire.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, ChrisKC said:

very much less likely in Thailand.

Have you any idea how many illegal guns, never mind legal ones, are in Thailand?

No!

Neither do I or anybody else!

How many reports about Thai school kids being shot in school gun violence have you read about in the last five days?

Too many!

• Like 2

Mass shootings in Thailand have little resemblance to that in the US.

Yes, there are far too many shootings here, but they are mainly domestic, road rage or drug or gang related.

The only one I can think of that follows the American model is the soldier who killed about 16 in a Korat department store  a few years back. (mentioned in the article)

Another attention seeker looking for a step up the ladder by sensationalizing something unnecessarily.

3 hours ago, ChrisKC said:

Mass shootings in Thailand are extremely rare

I think I can count about six this year without searching.  IMO, not "extremely rare".  

Another poster brought up a good point, USUALLY it's people shooting people they know.  In America, they are trying to get some high numbers to send a message or become infamous or something ridiculous.  But murder is murder, and one missile from Russia kills hundreds and hundreds and we just say "oh that's war, not same same."

and in China and N. Korea and the Philippines, mass murder simply isn't something people want to talk about......Americans like talking about it.  Thais, nope.   

The FBI is the last agency that I would want to receive advice from. The FBI is a total failure at preventing shooting deaths. They are not the first responders to mass shootings anyway. That would be local police and the local SWAT team. Like in Texas.

Thailand shouldn't be taking any advice from The Mild Bunch.

6 hours ago, ChrisKC said:

Mass shootings in Thailand are extremely rare, in USA not so - and this is to do with the gun laws that allow just about anybody to own one or even more!

I think it has more to do with the people's mental state.

3 hours ago, Iamfalang said:

I think I can count about six this year without searching.  IMO, not "extremely rare". 

I an't think of any, after searching. 

Scotland had one mass shooting. After, we banned guns and haven't had another since, it's decades now. The US should follow our wisdom, it's not rocket science. 

12 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I an't think of any, after searching. 

Scotland had one mass shooting. After, we banned guns and haven't had another since, it's decades now. The US should follow our wisdom, it's not rocket science. 

Weren't guns also banned in Scotland BEFORE that mass shooting ?

7 hours ago, DezLez said:

Have you any idea how many illegal guns, never mind legal ones, are in Thailand?

No!

Neither do I or anybody else!

How many reports about Thai school kids being shot in school gun violence have you read about in the last five days?

Too many!

"Anybody else" does have a pretty good "idea":

Gun Ownership by Country 2022 - World Population Review