What are your health rules you live by?

2 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I agree, no way I'd do a low carb diet, but then again I haven't got a weight problem, lean and eat whenever i want, high carb diet, if i eat and not full i have more carbs until full, works for me

I've never had a weight problem. Did the carbs when you were pre-pubescent, did the research as it became available, moved on to something better. Quick "works" check: what's that TG/HDL ratio again?

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

I agree, no way I'd do a low carb diet, but then again I haven't got a weight problem, lean and eat whenever i want, high carb diet, if i eat and not full i have more carbs until full, works for me

My weight is fine.  BP & cholesterol normal, and even my blood sugar, the latter a bit surprising, as I do enjoy my pastries.  Not really a big meat eater, and guessing that helps balance things a bit.

Also eat what I want, with a bit of moderation & common sense.

6 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

My weight is fine.  BP & cholesterol normal, and even my blood sugar, the latter a bit surprising, as I do enjoy my pastries.  Not really a big meat eater, and guessing that helps balance things a bit.

Also eat what I want, with a bit of moderation & common sense.

eating pastries are usually a good way of getting fat, they aren't great on satiety index, sounds like you don't eat enough to be a problem. I try and limit the junk stuff like pastries, chocolate, cake etc to once a week max

XRecorder_23072022_094718.jpg

35 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

if i eat and not full i have more carbs until full, works for me

I might do that, depending on what's available. 'Course, it's easy to get full, or rather, satiated, on low carb. The uninformed think "full" means huge quantity, distended belly, etc.

I'd however choose the nutrient-rich carbs rather than the low value "filler" that'll just spike the insulin. Only rational. ????

image.png.4d1f8a0b709b8266439ffc943dda4d50.png

Edited by BigStar

11 minutes ago, BigStar said:

I might do that, depending on what's available. 'Course, it's easy to get full, or rather, satiated, on low carb. The uninformed think "full" means huge quantity, distended belly, etc.

I'd however choose the nutrient-rich carbs rather than the low value "filler" that'll just spike the insulin. Only rational. ????

image.png.4d1f8a0b709b8266439ffc943dda4d50.png

When i eat at those thai restaurants selling too small portions i always have to eat before or after, rice, bread, potato or even cornflakes. I went off wholemeal, soda type bread, over rated

23 hours ago, BigStar said:

To address the topic. ????

The rule is to stay lean and fit by:

1. Sticking to a low carb diet, almost no sugars or starches
   +a few vitamins & supplements, protein powder, creatine
   +black tea, black coffee, dark chocolate (85% Lindt), daily glass of Cabernet
   +max 2 drinks when out
+occasional cigar and shot o’ bourbon (could be omitted, ha ha)

2. Exercising efficiently and consistently: strength training, intervals, walking on beach ('D' etc., soft sand aids balance), stair climbing
   +sleep ~7 hours nightly
   +avoid needless stress and tedium, live pleasantly by the sea
  +keep brain active via reading widely, writing, computer work, and playing up to an hour daily of a challenging video game

And I have a yearly checkup to verify the plan is still working and to feel good about the numbers and the need for no meds.

Forgot to mention

+stretching - 20 min a day; even more boring than exercise, so I wouldn't do it if I didn't find it helpful. Sometimes combine w/ a bit of foam rolling.

+mobility exercise - maybe once or twice a week on off days. Quite important for older folks, complements strength training well to help maintain good balance and movement control. Falls a leading cause of injury and accidental death; not surprising we see in the news how another expat has hit the ground hard.

17 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

When i eat at those thai restaurants selling too small portions i always have to eat before or after, rice, bread, potato or even cornflakes. I went off wholemeal, soda type bread, over rated

Sounds like the classic issue of insulin not being well-regulated. Now that I think back, I can't remember having that problem w/ small portions in Thai restos for many years.

10 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Sounds like the classic issue of insulin not being well-regulated. Now that I think back, I can't remember having that problem w/ small portions in Thai restos for many years.

Nah it's the classic issue of too small portions in those thai restaurants doing chicken\pork steak ribs fries meals. You know the ones that only have 5 fries

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Haha 1