What are your health rules you live by?

listen to your body.  if it craves carbs, get it.  craves a steak, forget it, not in LOS.  lol

no alcohol.  exercise above all else.  only one big meal a day.   yea, try to avoid processed <deleted>.  

sugar is OK if immediately after exercise.   if not, not good.   

fruits are great unless you have some issues (get some blood work).

the no-carbs, no-protein, no-anything stuff never will work for everyone.  never ever ever.

my body is getting tired of digesting tiger meat.  

• Confused 1

35 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Actually on topic:-

Madam cooks well and doesn't use excessive salt, sugar or (any) MSG, we make our own burgers, sausages, bacon and ham so we know what's in them, we really don't do processed food (ok the grandkids like chicken nuggets and pizza but that's a pretty rare treat).

I don't exercise nearly as much as I should and I'm definitely in the "overweight" bracket, I try to swim several times a week but that's really more because I like it than serious cardio.

Today's workout, cutting the grass, trimming the hedges, a bit cloudy so not too hot.

Last paragraph Crossy , with you there.  I have a lawn that needs cutting about every week if rain at night and sun during the day , the hedge which is a block wall covered in growth needs the hedge trimmer over it once a fortnight.  But if I sit outside with a glass or 2 of Red and it is pouring with rain like last evening I think " Damn garden can wait 'til it dries out.".

• Haha 1

As I have got older I take into account my limitations.

I watch what I eat and drink. 

Eat at home mostly. 

Have a exercise session on my multigym. 

Ride my motorbike.

Go to govt hospital every 4months for check up. 

Eat beans often.

Incorporate vegetables into breakfast meals.

Chew your food thoroughly. Focus on gut health.

Early to bed, early to rise.

No fire water, no devil weed, no cigarettes.

Spend time outdoors every day.

Amuse yourself.

2 minutes ago, peterfranks said:

Life is too short to have rules what you can like and what not.

I don't believe that one can prevent to get sick by choosing the right foods.

People I know, who had a healthy lifestyle, have died from cancer, others get hit by a car

Wow, lol 

Tell that to all those who had heart attacks at 60.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 2009 said:

Wow, lol 

Tell that to all those who had heart attacks at 60.

You mean the sportsmen, who obviously led the most healthy life, who dropped dead long before they reached 60?

Edited by peterfranks
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Iamfalang said:

listen to your body.  if it craves carbs, get it.  craves a steak, forget it, not in LOS.  lol

no alcohol.  exercise above all else.  only one big meal a day.   yea, try to avoid processed <deleted>.  

sugar is OK if immediately after exercise.   if not, not good.   

fruits are great unless you have some issues (get some blood work).

the no-carbs, no-protein, no-anything stuff never will work for everyone.  never ever ever.

my body is getting tired of digesting tiger meat.  

What is your body mass index?

Sugar is not good in any circumstances. Ingesting sugar after exercise is undoing the good work done previously.

Fruits are not great for the liver. They contain fructose, which is not metabolized by insulin, and contributes to fatty liver disease. Fruits such as guava, apples and berries are OK, mango, pineapple, bananas and grapes are not.

I have been exercising for several years. I only got my blood sugar under control when I went on a low-carb diet, exercise alone did nothing.

17 minutes ago, peterfranks said:

Life is too short to have rules what you can like and what not.

It's not just about longevity though.  A decent diet and regular exercise will help you feel better every day.

So that could be countered with "life's too short not to feel good every day".

• Like 2

High carb low fat diet, no problem with sugar. Sugar only an issue if you're a fatty and insulin resistant

Bloods all good, blood pressure ideal, fit, 4 days cycling, 2 days golf. BMI 23, it's all working well.

I don't like the idea of those starvation diets or fat\protein diets, not natural to do that body doesn't like it long term.

Atkins died obese with heart disease 

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, peterfranks said:

Your comments about the fruit shows that you're taking it to the extreme.

Higher up in this thread was mentioned that fruit is good for your health, now you even have to watch out which fruits.

I eat and drink what I like. Haven't exercised for years, and had my blood sugar checked a few months ago, with the result shown it was fine.

My point is that as long as you consume everything in moderation, you will be fine. If you have to start with this fruit I can eat, but not that one, then you're making yourself a slave of your own life.

Noted you have not answered my question re BMI. Your reticence says it all.

If you are one of those individuals that can get away with no diet and exercise, that's the genetic luck of the draw. However, you may be paying a price later on.

I wouldn't say I am extreme in my diet. I still have my toast and Vegemite in the morning, and the occasional treat of ice-cream and cake. I also enjoy being creative, making tasty dishes out of low carb ingredients. Olives, pesto, chili and various cheeses or yoghurt are my friends in the kitchen. Macadamias and Brazil nuts, it's a matter of making good choices in every food group. I certainly don't starve.

Assuming you are not 79 yet, it would be interesting to see how you scrub up if you do get there.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Noted you have not answered my question re BMI. Your reticence says it all.

Noted that you asked that question to someone else, so see no point in answering it, and in fact I couldn't care less what my bmi is.

I feel good in my body, haven't seen a doctor for decades, other than for a dirty one

2 hours ago, 2009 said:

As the title says, what are your health rules you live by?

I do what makes me happy.

I am too lazy to exercise, and I like good food. And from time to time a couple of drinks.

I think it's always funny to see people who don't eat certain things because they are not good for their health - and then the people are moaning or at least unhappy about that. Just eat it!

We will all die. I prefer to die happy and maybe a few years earlier and not old and healthy and miserable. 

What I don't eat, mostly because I don't like it, is fast food, food with lots of MSG in it, ready meals or any of that.

Enjoy life, and don't think too much.

Sheraton+Grande+Sukhumvit+Sunday+Jazzy+B

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

All the data says people who are vegetarian, or exercise regularly, live longer.

If I eat meat every day and die with 70 or be vegetarian and die 10 years later, I know what I eat. Meat!

upset-disgusted-latin-kid-sitting-table-

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by OneMoreFarang