What are your health rules you live by?

On 8/7/2022 at 11:20 AM, Lacessit said:

Noted you have not answered my question re BMI. Your reticence says it all.

If you are one of those individuals that can get away with no diet and exercise, that's the genetic luck of the draw. However, you may be paying a price later on.

I wouldn't say I am extreme in my diet. I still have my toast and Vegemite in the morning, and the occasional treat of ice-cream and cake. I also enjoy being creative, making tasty dishes out of low carb ingredients. Olives, pesto, chili and various cheeses or yoghurt are my friends in the kitchen. Macadamias and Brazil nuts, it's a matter of making good choices in every food group. I certainly don't starve.

Assuming you are not 79 yet, it would be interesting to see how you scrub up if you do get there.

You should read up on the latest news about BMI being no longer an appropriate measure. 

22 minutes ago, BigStar said:

On the contrary, opponents of low carb merely wish to believe so. That's cause they've never read any of the low carb gurus and don't really know anything about low carb theory and research.

So your "authority," McDougall, claims that Vietnamese won The War because they were subsisting on rice.???? Can't make this stuff up. What a nutcase.

So, more hot air on your part. If you knew anything about it, then you'd know that the so-called Asian Paradox was already explored and accounted for in the 1950s. Asians and the other primitive carb-based societies ate relatively low-calorie diets (fewer carbs), the carbs were until more recently unrefined, and people got lots of physical activity.

The combo counteracts the trigyceride-raising effect of carbs and tends to raise HDL. Turns out that the triglycerides are an extremely important marker in the risk of heart disease, more so than LDL. (You might publish your TG/HDL ratio; I'd also get an oral glucose tolerance test if I were you.)

As Asians etc started eating more sugar, unrefined carbs, and got less physical activity they also started getting as fat and unhealthy as their Western counterparts until you get what you're seeing today.

Another myth you're spreading: eating no fats means you stay lean no matter how many carbs you eat. No.???? Ironically dieters following The Starch Solution themselves find it out. Couple of random testimonials:

I went plant-based about six years ago. Lost 120 pounds. Look and feel great. I discovered The Starch Solution and it sounded good. Since I had already lost weight, I thought it would at least be good for maintenance. Followed it to the T and gained back 30 pounds. I am active both at the gym and 3x a week training BJJ.

I eat more than 90 percent the way Dr. McDougall recommends, though I do make some exceptions. I know he doesn't recommend calorie counting, however I wasn't successful in my weight loss until I started tracking calories. It is easy to overdo calorie dense whole foods . . . .

as i said before it's about what works, you can argue about this stuff forever, it's really simple and works, i do my version of it incl meat, but stick doing whichever fad one you prefer

2 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

as i said before it's about what works, you can argue about this stuff forever

But you said a lot besides "it's about what works" and much of it is misinformation and nonsense. Be great if you'd stop doing that. Then I wouldn't bother correcting it.????

Maybe key the phrase "it's about what works" to a hotkey on your computer and just tell yourself to autotext it whenever you feel compelled to respond.

'Course, people often think something's working when it really isn't as well as they think, one reason I suggested you publish your TG/HDL ratio and take an OGTT.

Somewhere between 16 – 25% of normal weight American adults are insulin resistant without even knowing. More than 80% of those with prediabetes don’t know they have it. And while we’re at it, about 20% of the American population have diabetes and don’t know it. No, a fasting glucose test and even HbA1c aren't sufficient to know for sure.

Insulin sensitivity varies at least 6-fold in apparently healthy individuals, with physical fitness and body fat both playing a role.

--Insulin Resistance: the Link Between Obesity and Cardiovascular Disease

“Apparently healthy.” Whoops.

We often have assertions here that glucose spikes don't matter in the healthy. In this thread one self-satisfied member professed to track his insulin reactions after eating. But it seems nobody is using a CGM (continuous glucose monitor) to tell the true story. ????

The covert spikes . . . can contribute to cardiovascular disease risk and a person’s tendencies to develop insulin resistance, which is a common precursor to diabetes, he said.

Often people who are prediabetic have no idea they’re prediabetic. In fact, this is the case about 90 percent of the time. It’s a big deal, Snyder said, as about 70 percent of people who are prediabetic will eventually develop the disease.

—Diabetic-level glucose spikes seen in healthy people: A study out of Stanford in which blood sugar levels were continuously monitored reveals that even people who think they’re “healthy” should pay attention to what they eat.

A bodybuilder with 8% body fat ate lots of chicken breast and white rice.

He told me when he got a CGM, he found out that the rice was spiking his blood sugar to 180, and it stayed there for hours.

If that can happen to him just think of what it does to others in less good shape.

—P. D. Mangan

22 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

stick doing whichever fad one you prefer

The only fad we've heard about here comes from you following Dr. McDougall. I don't follow it.????

5 minutes ago, BigStar said:

But you said a lot besides "it's about what works" and much of it is misinformation and nonsense. Be great if you'd stop doing that. Then I wouldn't bother correcting it.????

Maybe key the phrase "it's about what works" to a hotkey on your computer and just tell yourself to autotext it whenever you feel compelled to respond.

'Course, people often think something's working when it really isn't as well as they think, one reason I suggested you publish your TG/HDL ratio and take an OGTT.

Somewhere between 16 – 25% of normal weight American adults are insulin resistant without even knowing. More than 80% of those with prediabetes don’t know they have it. And while we’re at it, about 20% of the American population have diabetes and don’t know it. No, a fasting glucose test and even HbA1c aren't sufficient to know for sure.

Insulin sensitivity varies at least 6-fold in apparently healthy individuals, with physical fitness and body fat both playing a role.

--Insulin Resistance: the Link Between Obesity and Cardiovascular Disease

“Apparently healthy.” Whoops.

We often have assertions here that glucose spikes don't matter in the healthy. In this thread one self-satisfied member professed to track his insulin reactions after eating. But it seems nobody is using a CGM (continuous glucose monitor) to tell the true story. ????

The covert spikes . . . can contribute to cardiovascular disease risk and a person’s tendencies to develop insulin resistance, which is a common precursor to diabetes, he said.

Often people who are prediabetic have no idea they’re prediabetic. In fact, this is the case about 90 percent of the time. It’s a big deal, Snyder said, as about 70 percent of people who are prediabetic will eventually develop the disease.

—Diabetic-level glucose spikes seen in healthy people: A study out of Stanford in which blood sugar levels were continuously monitored reveals that even people who think they’re “healthy” should pay attention to what they eat.

A bodybuilder with 8% body fat ate lots of chicken breast and white rice.

He told me when he got a CGM, he found out that the rice was spiking his blood sugar to 180, and it stayed there for hours.

If that can happen to him just think of what it does to others in less good shape.

—P. D. Mangan

The only fad we've heard about here comes from you following Dr. McDougall. I don't follow it.????

You do bang on, the wife must avoid starting a conversation.

What's your BMI? I presume your other key blood tests are all good based on whatever fad diet you're doing?

14 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

You do bang on, the wife must avoid starting a conversation.

What's your BMI? I presume your other key blood tests are all good based on whatever fad diet you're doing?

We've done BMIs before. Now I'm wondering if your fad diet isn't contributing to cognitive decline as it seems to be for Dr. McDougall.

Blood markers are good across the board. BP optimal, VO2 max superior. Waist/height ratio .48.

A systematic review of waist-to-height ratio as a screening tool for the prediction of cardiovascular disease and diabetes: 0·5 could be a suitable global boundary value

And that important TG/HDL ratio you've yet to reveal was .71 not long ago. I stay consistent. A common chart:

image.png.1933446f546e4a2e2abd98b974eab833.png

Claims to health here are suspect, as I discovered recently. One of the members was feeling smug about his BP number for his age and claimed he'd never been in a hospital.

Yeah, right. Digging deeper, it turned out he was taking a handful of meds daily (prescribed, of course) including a BP med. Metabolic syndrome.

You aren't "healthy" because meds are masking your conditions.

• Like 1

Gave up smoking decades ago.

Still drink beer, but very much under control, don't drink before sunset, and don't drink every night, usually drink alternate nights, and don't drink spirits.

Cut out eating all meat long ago, eat mostly vegetarian food, but do eat fish, so I'm pescatarian.

Go for long walks every morning (unless it's pouring down rain) average 6km a day walk.

On 8/9/2022 at 5:42 PM, ozimoron said:

My mother is about to turn 94 this week. She drinks a bottle of wine a day easily and smoked until 50. She has always been an alcoholic. Her secret? Never eat any processed food at all, not even bread. She cooks absolutely everything from basic ingredients.

My nana 96

Ate anything

1 hour ago, norbra said:

You should read up on the latest news about BMI being no longer an appropriate measure. 

True enough, AFL footballers are all muscle. They would be classed as obese on BMI, which is why skin fold testing is used instead.

Having said that, if someone who is not an athlete has a BMI of 35, it's fair to say they are a lardass.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

True enough, AFL footballers are all muscle. They would be classed as obese on BMI, which is why skin fold testing is used instead.

Having said that, if someone who is not an athlete has a BMI of 35, it's fair to say they are a lardass.

Yet they could live to 95

3 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Yet they could live to 95

They could also drop dead at 55 from a heart attack, which is statistically far more likely. But I forgot, you are dedicated to quoting outliers.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lacessit said:

They could also drop dead at 55 from a heart attack, which is statistically far more likely. But I forgot, you are dedicated to quoting outliers.

Nope just facts. Chubby people live longer.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/could-a-few-extra-pounds-help-you-live-longer/%23:~:text%3DPeople%20who%20are%20slightly%20overweight,to%20a%20new%20Danish%20study.&ved=2ahUKEwiRw4KxkL35AhUIumMGHeMlA48QFnoECAkQBQ&usg=AOvVaw3CNY0Bs44DHZbRR9nynXpA

On 8/11/2022 at 3:38 AM, Sparktrader said:

Meaningless, as you'd know if you read and understood the article--more work than just googling up some links.

At this point, “it’s almost indisputable that the correlation exists,” Allison says. “What is disputable is what the correlation means.” . . . .

“These epidemiological studies do not give us an answer,” says Tapan Mehta, a biostatisticianat the UAB, who was not part of the study. “They give us interesting questions to go after.”

Other studies showing a correlation share similar flaws, which is why no one knows it means. What it ultimately means is that the Longevity Through Obesity plan ain't gon' work.

You've been told this before but of course stay in denial.

On 8/11/2022 at 3:38 AM, Sparktrader said:

You have obviously never heard of confounding variables. In this case, the high quality of the Danish healthcare system.

Eat up, and let me know if you make it to my age without hypertension, Type 2 diabetes and a fatty liver.

On 8/10/2022 at 5:52 PM, Sparktrader said:

Genes mostly

Dont smoke

Dont drink heavily

Dont binge on sugar

Everything else overrated 

Health and fitness advice from old fat out-of-shape guys self-overrated. Genes, overrated on the forum. Might only be 7% inheritance, according to one study. A few genes seem to control longevity, and seem to vary, but you have no guarantee you've inherited them anyway.

Hence nothing to base anything on and the rational course is to attempt to mimic the good effects of those genes by avoiding chronic diseases that shorten lifespan. "Good" diet and exercise, fairly rated.

We do have some faithful followers here of Genetics Voodoo, however, for whom it's a kind of religion. Fate is another fave. Relieves one of personal responsibility.

Mark Baker says it memorably in Gang Fit: Part 2:

All the while make sure you keep healthy, because health is your supreme asset. If you’re ill your life is f***ed. Most people don’t become ill for no reason; it’s the consequence of being a w_a_nker, not caring about their physical condition or what they eat. Your life is f***ed anyway because you’re going to die; but don’t accelerate the d_a_mn process!  Leave that to the morons who blame their genetics or hormones for their illnesses.

35 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

You have obviously never heard of confounding variables. In this case, the high quality of the Danish healthcare system.

Eat up, and let me know if you make it to my age without hypertension, Type 2 diabetes and a fatty liver.

My fat relatives lived longer than skinny ones

36 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Meaningless, as you'd know if you read and understood the article--more work than just googling up some links.

At this point, “it’s almost indisputable that the correlation exists,” Allison says. “What is disputable is what the correlation means.” . . . .

“These epidemiological studies do not give us an answer,” says Tapan Mehta, a biostatisticianat the UAB, who was not part of the study. “They give us interesting questions to go after.”

Other studies showing a correlation share similar flaws, which is why no one knows it means. What it ultimately means is that the Longevity Through Obesity plan ain't gon' work.

You've been told this before but of course stay in denial.

Mostly nonsense. Genes matter most, lack of stress, dont smoke,dont drink too much.

Minerals keep u alive too. Magnesium etc

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Health and fitness advice from old fat out-of-shape guys self-overrated. Genes, overrated on the forum. Might only be 7% inheritance, according to one study. A few genes seem to control longevity, and seem to vary, but you have no guarantee you've inherited them anyway.

Hence nothing to base anything on and the rational course is to attempt to mimic the good effects of those genes by avoiding chronic diseases that shorten lifespan. "Good" diet and exercise, fairly rated.

We do have some faithful followers here of Genetics Voodoo, however, for whom it's a kind of religion. Fate is another fave. Relieves one of personal responsibility.

All the while make sure you keep healthy, because health is your supreme asset. If you’re ill your life is f***ed. Most people don’t become ill for no reason; it’s the consequence of being a w_a_nker, not caring about their physical condition or what they eat. Your life is f***ed anyway because you’re going to die; but don’t accelerate the d_a_mn process!  Leave that to the morons who blame their genetics or hormones for their illnesses.

Sugar causes illness. Do some research.

https://www.esquireme.com/sports/health-and-fitness/15484-5-serious-diseases-caused-by-sugar

Edited by Sparktrader
  • Confused 1

25 minutes ago, BigStar said:

https://scitechdaily.com/gene-regulation-might-be-the-key-to-a-longer-lifespan/

• Haha 1

Figure 1: Studies associate higher levels of magnesium with a 34% improved longevity and reduced death rates when compared to lower levels of magnesium. Optimal magnesium levels lower risk of death from all causes by 40%, cancer by 50%, all forms of heart disease by 40% and sudden cardiac death by 77%.24 Mar 2015        

Figure 1: Studies associate higher levels of magnesium with a 34% improved longevity and reduced death rates when compared to lower levels of magnesium. Optimal magnesium levels lower risk of death from all causes by 40%, cancer by 50%, all forms of heart disease by 40% and sudden cardiac death by 77%.24 Mar 2015  

https://wholefoodsmagazine.com/columns/vitamin-connection/magnesium-factor-longevity-live-longer-and-healthier-magnesium/#:~:text=Figure 1%3A Studies associate higher,sudden cardiac death by 77%.

To address the topic. ????

The rule is to stay lean and fit by:

1. Sticking to a low carb diet, almost no sugars or starches
   +a few vitamins & supplements, protein powder, creatine
   +black tea, black coffee, dark chocolate (85% Lindt), daily glass of Cabernet
   +max 2 drinks when out
+occasional cigar and shot o’ bourbon (could be omitted, ha ha)

2. Exercising efficiently and consistently: strength training, intervals, walking on beach ('D' etc., soft sand aids balance), stair climbing
   +sleep ~7 hours nightly
   +avoid needless stress and tedium, live pleasantly by the sea
  +keep brain active via reading widely, writing, computer work, and playing up to an hour daily of a challenging video game

And I have a yearly checkup to verify the plan is still working and to feel good about the numbers and the need for no meds.

4 hours ago, BigStar said:

1. Sticking to a low carb diet, almost no sugars or starches

And I have a yearly checkup to verify the plan is still working and to feel good about the numbers and the need for no meds.

Not a big believer in the low carb thingy.   I don't think it's the carbs, as I eat a lot, probably my main caloric intake.  It's what you put on, in & over them that is the issue.

Yearly checkups ... hell yea, too easy, accessible, and inexpensive.  Beats the hell out of wasting your money on insurance that may or may not be there when you need it.

Know your body ... Catch stuff early, doesn't get any better than that.  Don't wait till you have symptoms.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

It's what you put on, in & over them that is the issue.

If you look into it, I think you'll find that low carb has the advantage when it comes to the visceral fat and the TG/HDL ratio and the LDL particles tend more towards the smaller. We have the idea it's all about weight. There's more.????

11 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Not a big believer in the low carb thingy.   I don't think it's the carbs, as I eat a lot, probably my main caloric intake.  It's what you put on, in & over them that is the issue.

Yearly checkups ... hell yea, too easy, accessible, and inexpensive.  Beats the hell out of wasting your money on insurance that may or may not be there when you need it.

Know your body ... Catch stuff early, doesn't get any better than that.  Don't wait till you have symptoms.

I agree, no way I'd do a low carb diet, but then again I haven't got a weight problem, lean and eat whenever i want, high carb diet, if i eat and not full i have more carbs until full, works for me