What are your health rules you live by?

4 hours ago, Lacessit said:

In terms of carb load, there is zero difference between the two.

Yes, I try to avoid white bread. I do eat a little white rice which is the same carb wise but doesn't have the same effect on me. The difference is the rate at which sugar levels climb.

30 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Yes, I try to avoid white bread. I do eat a little white rice which is the same carb wise but doesn't have the same effect on me. The difference is the rate at which sugar levels climb.

Sugar is good for you unless you're insulin resistant, sugar phobic people will have a drop in immune function as cortisol will be too high, sugar lowers cortisol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

Sugar is good for you unless you're insulin resistant, sugar phobic people will have a drop in immune function as cortisol will be too high, sugar lowers cortisol

Thais add sugar to everything and I live on restaurant food so not in much danger of not enough sugar.

Milk is the what I want to cut from my diet. All the research I do turns up no harmful effects but I think it's still not good. I normally drink upwards of a litre a day.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Thais add sugar to everything and I live on restaurant food so not in much danger of not enough sugar.

Milk is the what I want to cut from my diet. All the research I do turns up no harmful effects but I think it's still not good. I normally drink upwards of a litre a day.

Yes dairy is not good for you, i only have a little bit in tea and coffee now. Soy milk in porridge, cereals and milkshakes

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Yes dairy is not good for you, i only have a little bit in tea and coffee now. Soy milk in porridge, cereals and milkshakes

Disagree, though I only drink 100% milk, no 2% or skim, so no sugar.  Ice cream, butter & cheeses with moderation.  Does account for large part of my caloric & fat intake though. 

Without the milk intake, I probably would have broken a few bones over the years ... as I'm big boned ???? and I seem to bounce really good.  Use to anyway, as a bit more carful now.

Use Olive oil for most cooking/frying, unless deep.  Add a bit of butter when doing eggs.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Most people past age 60 develop insulin resistance, moving on to Type 2 diabetes with all kinds of health problems. Not to mention the daily nuisance of testing.

Sugar is not good for you, it's a key contributor to most inflammatory conditions.

Please post a peer-reviewed link that confirms a lack of sugar affects the immune system adversely.

Why do you think stomach acid is so strong? One of its functions is to hydrolyze complex carbohydrates into simple sugars.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Most people past age 60 develop insulin resistance, moving on to Type 2 diabetes with all kinds of health problems.

They don't have to with the correct diet, fat is the major cause of type 2 diabetes and too many fat farang like the fat

58 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Disagree, though I only drink 100% milk, no 2% or skim, so no sugar.  Ice cream, butter & cheeses with moderation.  Does account for large part of my caloric & fat intake though. 

Without the milk intake, I probably would have broken a few bones over the years ... as I'm big boned ???? and I seem to bounce really good.  Use to anyway, as a bit more carful now.

Use Olive oil for most cooking/frying, unless deep.  Add a bit of butter when doing eggs.

Many people think the same as you, I'll dig out a video if interested, but i appreciate diet is like religion, almost pointless arguing about it

17 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Many people think the same as you, I'll dig out a video if interested, but i appreciate diet is like religion, almost pointless arguing about it

Thanks but not interested.  My diet has apparently served me well.  No health issues, and BP is normal on our yearly-ish health check ups.  Along with all other #s & markers.

3 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

What's your BMI?

Haven't a clue, and it would be inaccurate anyway, as I stated, I'm big boned.  BMI = marketing, considering all the different body size & shapes, bone density, and muscle mass or lack of.

Remember the 'old' insurance ht/wt charts, and I was always borderline obese.  Right out of boot camp, in prime condition, and overweight ????  New charts barely squeeze me in to 'healthy'.

Add those charts to polls & surveys - useless.

I look & feel good.  Docs and hosp. check up numbers all agree, apparently healthy and going to be around for a while longer.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Haven't a clue, and it would be inaccurate anyway, as I stated, I'm big boned.  BMI = marketing, considering all the different body size & shapes, bone density, and muscle mass or lack of.

Remember the 'old' insurance ht/wt charts, and I was always borderline obese.  Right out of boot camp, in prime condition, and overweight ????  New charts barely squeeze me in to 'healthy'.

Add those charts to polls & surveys - useless.

I look & feel good.  Docs and hosp. check up numbers all agree, apparently healthy and going to be around for a while longer.

Big boned 555 ok we'll just class you as overweight. If you wanted to check BMI

https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/healthy-weight/bmi-calculator/

Edited by scubascuba3

For me its keeping fit ! Stretching exercises everyday. Stair exercise 3x a week!  No sodium diet, Staying away from process foods  and drinking 3 liters of water everyday !

Unfortunately I like to bake but  I try to use healthy ingredients! Substitute  Coconut oil for butter and use coconut milk instead of dairy products.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

They don't have to with the correct diet, fat is the major cause of type 2 diabetes and too many fat farang like the fat

Having reduced my body mass from 92 kg to 80 kg on a low carb diet, I'd agree the correct diet is essential. Having said that, my fat intake has probably increased, in the form of cheeses. My blood sugar has dropped from 124 mg/dL to 100 mg/dL, IMO due to banning sugar from my diet.

Noted you have not posted any link confirming your assertion sugar is good for us, or low sugar intake affects the immune system adversely.

Here's a link to a medical professional's explanation of why sugar is bad, perhaps you could post your own qualifications.

18 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Big boned 555 ok we'll just class you as overweight. If you wanted to check BMI

https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/healthy-weight/bmi-calculator/

Here's fine example how silly BMI is for me.

Bottom (present), 80 kgs

Other 2, are my weight out of boot camp, talking prime condition.

Went in at 75 kgs came out at 75 kgs, just rearranged a bit.  Moved 

mid baby fat to upper body & arms mass.

So in prime condition, I'd be borderline overweight.  

I have 18" neck, wear a 48 jacket, and been riding bicycles my whole life.  In boot camp, I ran a < 6 min mile, with combat boots on.  Let that sink in.

Untitled.png

Laying down (gravity), but damn I look good.

242747654_168518332130336_6630541967757215603_nDN.jpg

Edited by KhunLA

6 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Having reduced my body mass from 92 kg to 80 kg on a low carb diet, I'd agree the correct diet is essential. Having said that, my fat intake has probably increased, in the form of cheeses. My blood sugar has dropped from 124 mg/dL to 100 mg/dL, IMO due to banning sugar from my diet.

Noted you have not posted any link confirming your assertion sugar is good for us, or low sugar intake affects the immune system adversely.

Here's a link to a medical professional's explanation of why sugar is bad, perhaps you could post your own qualifications.

Here you go, I'll doubt you'll watch them though

https://youtu.be/rUWcgh5Ju9g

here's a good one on your deadly low carb diet

https://youtu.be/Z6N8CJ_Wy9c

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Here you go, I'll doubt you'll watch them though

https://youtu.be/rUWcgh5Ju9g

here's a good one on your deadly low carb diet

https://youtu.be/Z6N8CJ_Wy9c

Wrong. I watched each video all the way through,  then Googled the name of the presenter, who is characterized as extreme on Wikipedia.

I quote: " Reviewing The McDougall Program: 12 Days to Dynamic Health, doctor Harriet Hall wrote that the book is filled with anecdotes and questionable statements, and that it makes many claims which are not supported by science.[12]"

On the other hand, you probably did not watch Dr. Berry's presentation right through, where he gives the links to peer-reviewed research on each count.

Saying my low carb diet is deadly is completely false equivalence, I am not eating like an Eskimo. I eat plenty of fruit, vegetables, nuts and dairy products, which Eskimos don't.

Perhaps Dr. McDougall can explain to me how I am completely off all the medications I was taking 6 years ago, via diet and exercise. Lowest body weight since I was in my twenties, lowered blood sugar, improved kidney function. IMO it's not just dumb luck.

TBH, I think the advice you are posting itself is quite dangerous, especially to older people. Your claim low sugar weakens the immune system is still unsupported by any meaningful evidence.

Edited by Lacessit
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Wrong. I watched each video all the way through,  then Googled the name of the presenter, who is characterized as extreme on Wikipedia.

I quote: " Reviewing The McDougall Program: 12 Days to Dynamic Health, doctor Harriet Hall wrote that the book is filled with anecdotes and questionable statements, and that it makes many claims which are not supported by science.[12]"

On the other hand, you probably did not watch Dr. Berry's presentation right through, where he gives the links to peer-reviewed research on each count.

Saying my low carb diet is deadly is completely false equivalence, I am not eating like an Eskimo. I eat plenty of fruit, vegetables, nuts and dairy products, which Eskimos don't.

Perhaps Dr. McDougall can explain to me how I am completely off all the medications I was taking 6 years ago, via diet and exercise. Lowest body weight since I was in my twenties, lowered blood sugar, improved kidney function. IMO it's not just dumb luck.

TBH, I think the advice you are posting itself is quite dangerous, especially to older people. Your claim low sugar weakens the immune system is still unsupported by any meaningful evidence.

Anyone interested can watch Dr McDougalls many videos or look at his website where he posts research, his 1000s of patients think he's very good, i do too. I'm slowly going through his videos which i prefer to people like Dr Berg and the like. It's early days to judge your diet, Atkins died obese and with heart disease

5 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Interesting 

59 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Anyone interested can watch Dr McDougalls many videos or look at his website where he posts research, his 1000s of patients think he's very good, i do too. I'm slowly going through his videos which i prefer to people like Dr Berg and the like. It's early days to judge your diet, Atkins died obese and with heart disease

I am not on an Atkins diet, how many times do I have to explain that before it sinks in?

I eat meat, cheese, yoghurt, fresh vegetables, fruit, nuts. The latter three are selected for LOW carb, not ZERO carb.

You said in another post diets are like religion. It seems to me you are an acolyte of Dr. McDougall, who I find less than credible with his narrow focus on a racial group of 150,000 Inuits in a total population of 8 billion people.

You still have not come up with any credible evidence sugar is good, or that it weakens the immune system. You refuse to address those comments, which is why I am putting you on ignore.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Lacessit said:

In terms of carb load, there is zero difference between the two.

The glycemic index of white and whole wheat bread is the same but the glycemic load is quite different.

glycemic load is more important than index. 

• Like 1

Minimal amounts of sugar. I try to avoid processed flours and use only good oils for cooking (rice bran, olive and sunflower), and always request food without MSG and sugar when eating out. No soft drinks. Plenty of water. 

I use alot of herbal supplements, and very little <deleted> from Big Pharma. 

No smoking. Drinking in moderation. Exercise as often as I can. Low stress. Pursuing my passions. Living in Thailand. All good! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sheryl said:

The glycemic index of white and whole wheat bread is the same but the glycemic load is quite different.

glycemic load is more important than index. 

True. However, there are so-called whole wheat breads that are actually whjte bread doped up with caramel coloring. A more accurate term would be whole GRAIN bread.

10 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

use only good oils for cooking (rice bran, olive and sunflower),

Olive,yes.

But I think the others are bad to cook with due to being unstable when heated and creating oxidization more easily (which is a greater concern, when cooking with oil, than saturated fat content).

Coconut oil also remains stable when heated quite well compared to other oils.

Even lard and palm oil are healthier to cook with than most other vegetable oils (due to handling heat better and remaining more stable).

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, 2009 said:

Olive,yes.

But I think the others are bad to cook with due to being unstable when heated and creating oxidization more easily (which is a greater concern, when cooking with oil, than saturated fat content).

Coconut oil also remains stable when heated quite well compared to other oils.

Even lard and palm oil are healthier to cook with than most other vegetable oils (due to handling heat better and remaining more stable).

You're better off avoiding oil altogether

6 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

You're better off avoiding oil altogether

Almost impossible to do.  Unless eating a lot of oil / deep fried food, I wouldn't worry to much about oil intake.  Olive is supposed to be one of the better ones, so I use that most of the time.   Unless using very high heat, then peanut oil.

I think we use canola or sunflower for deep fry, which we do very little of.  Maybe French fries couple times a month.

Moderation moderation moderation

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Almost impossible to do.  Unless eating a lot of oil / deep fried food, I wouldn't worry to much about oil intake.  Olive is supposed to be one of the better ones, so I use that most of the time.   Unless using very high heat, then peanut oil.

I think we use canola or sunflower for deep fry, which we do very little of.  Maybe French fries couple times a month.

Moderation moderation moderation

or what I'm doing is no oil, using non stick, but when I'm out i have no choice, fair enough, avoiding fatty oily foods as much as possible but that's another story