What are your health rules you live by?

4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

You've done very well, how did you get that big originally? seriously over eating junk?

I had a sedentary job and I traveled weekly by plane for 20+ years and had an expense account which allowed me to eat wherever I wanted whenever I wanted. I never ate junk, but a combination of being able to eat and drink at the best restaurants and having a job where I sat on my a** all day in meetings or in my office pretty much did me in. I'm well on my way back to my target weight now though and I'm honestly amazed I can walk as much as I can at 260 lbs,but I was 376 when I started and that was tough. This morning I walked 11.7 miles, it took me just over 3 hours and I feel great. Adverse conditions like heart disease, cancer nor other illnesses do not run in my family.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, DBath said:

I had a sedentary job and I traveled weekly by plane for 20+ years and had an expense account which allowed me to eat wherever I wanted whenever I wanted. I never ate junk, but a combination of being able to eat and drink at the best restaurants and having a job where I sat on my a** all day in meetings or in my office pretty much did me in. I'm well on my way back to my target weight now though and I'm honestly amazed I can walk as much as I can at 260 lbs,but I was 376 when I started and that was tough. This morning I walked 11.7 miles, it took me just over 3 hours and I feel great. Adverse conditions like heart disease, cancer nor other illnesses do not run in my family.

Dr John McDougall (on YouTube) puts it a good way, we all eat like Kings and Queens now, that's the problem, well it is until you change it

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Yes some people are scared of white bread, really no need, i switched back to white bread last year, much prefer it

Diabetics should not eat white bread. If I eat white bead (not a diabetic) It blocks up my esophagus and I can't even swallow water until I either throw it up or drink some soda which makes me burp. It's highly uncomfortable and distressing.

Edited by ozimoron

6 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

If I eat meat every day and die with 70 or be vegetarian and die 10 years later, I know what I eat. Meat!

upset-disgusted-latin-kid-sitting-table-

maxresdefault.jpg

Yip, those last 10 years are a <deleted>STORM in care home fees.

My dad knew, or rather he knew NOTHING for 5 years.

Suck up the beer, ciggies, weed, meat and anything thit will give you a glass ceiling of 70.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Diabetics should not eat white bread. If I eat white bead (not a diabetic) It blocks up my esophagus and I can't even swallow water until I either throw it up or drink some soad which makes me burp. It's highly uncomfortable and distressing.

of course people have all sorts of intolerances 

40 minutes ago, freedomnow said:

Yip, those last 10 years are a <deleted>STORM in care home fees.

My dad knew, or rather he knew NOTHING for 5 years.

Suck up the beer, ciggies, weed, meat and anything thit will give you a glass ceiling of 70.

People should be allowed to make choices that are NOT dictated based on YOUR circumstances.

Edited by DBath
  • Like 1

After pouring through this thread it is clear to me that diet and a healthy lifestyle are not the only things that determine whether or not we will live a long, happy and healthy life. Harvard University did an 80-year study that confirms the way to a healthy and happy life, here's the link (and it has little to do with diet and or exercise - IMO, it is spot on and I live my life by this):

https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2017/04/over-nearly-80-years-harvard-study-has-been-showing-how-to-live-a-healthy-and-happy-life/

Edited by DBath

4 minutes ago, DBath said:

After pouring through this thread it is clear to me that diet and a healthy lifestyle are not the only things that determine whether or not we will live a long, happy and healthy life. Harvard University did an 80-year study that confirms the way to a healthy and happy life, here's the link (and it has little to do with diet and or exercise - IMO, it is spot on and I live my life by this):

https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2017/04/over-nearly-80-years-harvard-study-has-been-showing-how-to-live-a-healthy-and-happy-life/

Interesting

Any practical tips?

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Lacessit said:

In other words, it is very likely you will live as long as your parents, unless you get hit by a bus. You probably won in the genetic lottery.

Six years ago, my total daily kidney load from medications was 675 mg. Now it is 3 mg.

As 53% of the elderly die of acute kidney failure, it's like tossing a coin.

Both my parents died at age 83, after a lifetime of cigarettes and alcohol.

Actually, if they died at 83 after a life of cigs and alcohol, they probably had something else going for them - like a loving and long-term relationship. My grandparents were the same - sans alcohol - they both died at 86.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DBath said:

Actually, if they died at 83 after a life of cigs and alcohol, they probably had something else going for them - like a loving and long-term relationship. My grandparents were the same - sans alcohol - they both died at 86.

Not really, they separated in their early seventies. Having said that, I am not discounting your hypothesis for some couples. The surviving partner seems to lose the will to live.

38 minutes ago, 2009 said:

Interesting

Any practical tips?

I'm no expert and I was lucky to find a partner whose company I enjoy and never get tired of. I think it's a tall order for most people to find. I was lucky, especially after being married for 30 years to a woman who I thought was my 'soul mate' (I hate that word). I never imagined I would find someone who I could spend 24/7/365 with and not get tired of them, but I wasn't looking when I found her, either.

Edited by DBath

6 minutes ago, stoner said:

i know right because its so bad right. 

I've never been a fan, it makes me extremely paranoid and all of my 'friends' who are addicted have done literally zero with their lives, but hey...you do you, dude.

3 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Why no coffee?

Many people have sugar in their coffee, to offset the bitterness.

There is a doctor on YouTube claiming two coffees a day is beneficial for heart health.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DBath said:

I've never been a fan, it makes me extremely paranoid and all of my 'friends' who are addicted have done literally zero with their lives, but hey...you do you, dude.

its not the weed its your friends. ????

im addicted as you would put it and have done a whole lot with my life. 

10 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Why no coffee?

I'm not the person you asked, but I don't drink coffee because I simply can't stand the taste of it .....

But, don't worry, my wife loves it enough for both of us.....

1 minute ago, DBath said:

I've only just started trying the edible stuff, in small doses, once a week. I find it relaxes me completely, and alleviates osteoarthritis for up to 24 hours. Not interested in smoking it, gave up tobacco in 1983.

It's apparently recommended by doctors for terminal cancer patients.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Not really, they separated in their early seventies. Having said that, I am not discounting your hypothesis for some couples. The surviving partner seems to lose the will to live.

I think it depends on the circumstances surrounding the 'surviving  partner'. If one surviving partner finds a great partner, then perhaps the other one will forfeit the will to live - sad I know, but true.

3 minutes ago, stoner said:

its not the weed its your friends. ????

im addicted as you would put it and have done a whole lot with my life. 

Good for you, I was born extremely poor and did a sh*tload with my life, so what's your point?

11 minutes ago, DBath said:

all of my 'friends' who are addicted have done literally zero with their lives

this

1 minute ago, DBath said:

Good for you, I was born extremely poor and did a sh*tload with my life, so what's your point?

you generalize that it makes people do nothing with their life. 

9 minutes ago, stoner said:

this

you generalize that it makes people do nothing with their life. 

I'm sure there are exceptions, I'm just not aware of any. Doesn't mean you were not able to, but how would I know?

My rules - exercise every day , have home gym so treadmill every day, and weights every third day. 

Eat when we are hungry.  No set ‘mealtimes’.

Eat whatever we want - no rules regarding sugars, carbs etc…

Drink alcohol most days - try not to get hammered more than once a week.

I am reasonably fit , and enjoy my life. I intend to maintain my quality of life and not feel like I am depriving myself of anything.

I have no desire to live forever. I want to leave the party while I am still having fun - and I want to be aware that I am still at the party!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, DBath said:

“The surprising finding is that our relationships and how happy we are in our relationships has a powerful influence on our health,” 

Not surprising at all, pretty obvious really, I'm sure those in unhappy relationships, divorcees know that too well.

The study seems to ignore diet, maybe it was before everyone got fat, can't be happy with various illnesses

• Like 1