Forum upgrade in progress! ×

What are your health rules you live by?

21 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Vegan propaganda and a myth up there with our beloved "exercise killed James Fixx."

How come you're not mentioning H. Jay Dinshah, the "American veganism activist and natural hygiene proponent who was the founder and president of the American Vegan Society" who died at age 66 of a heart attack? Amazing how hard it is to find info about that early death.

Maybe he had a heart condition, who knows, never heard of him, probably depends on his diet history

On 8/8/2022 at 2:12 PM, scubascuba3 said:

Here you go, I'll doubt you'll watch them though

https://youtu.be/rUWcgh5Ju9g

here's a good one on your deadly low carb diet

https://youtu.be/Z6N8CJ_Wy9c

The first can be thrown out as he neglects to mention the combo of fats/carbs as I noted.

The second posits a straw man argument. No low carb guru says "eat like an Eskimo." None say "eat only meat." Eskimos never went into ketosis.

And he seems to confuse early observations of Eskimos a century ago with more recent. He neglects mention of Eskimo healthcare system vs that enjoyed by modern vegans. And he cites a study of two female mummies a thousand years old whose arteriosclerosis can be explained by smoke inhalation; and the vitamin deficiency in part by sedentary living in an igloo.

Meanwhile we have an impressive study authored by McDougall here that lacks a control group:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25311617/

and a further impressive three paragraphs here "refuting" the idea that vegans can be nutrient deficient.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3854817/

Why not read some real researchers or watch an objectively informative video by real researcher?

I leave you with a proud modern vegan, Lizzo, as pinup for the day. Lots of these in the States. ????

image.png.073784da7c12c8da3dd34dbb26094e25.png

Edited by BigStar

2 minutes ago, BigStar said:

The first can be thrown out as he neglects to mention the combo of fats/carbs as I noted.

The second posits a straw man argument. No low carb guru says "eat like an Eskimo." None say "eat only meat." Eskimos never went into ketosis.

And he seems to confuse early observations of Eskimos a century ago with more recent. He neglects mention of Eskimo healthcare system vs that enjoyed by modern vegans. And he cites a study of two female mummies a thousand years old whose arteriosclerosis can be explained by smoke inhalation; and the vitamin deficiency in part by sedentary living in an igloo.

Meanwhile we have an impressive study authored by McDougall here that lacks a control group:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25311617/

and a further impressive three paragraphs here "refuting" the idea that vegans can be nutrient deficient.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3854817/

Why not read some real researchers or watch an objectively informative video by real researcher?

I leave you with a modern vegabn, Lizzo, as pinup for the day. Lots of these in the States. ????

image.png.073784da7c12c8da3dd34dbb26094e25.png

if she's vegan she eats a load of fat. You can argue about this stuff forever, it's about whether it works or not, I'm lean so I'm happy it works, plus i eat whenever i want, no need for a starvation calorie restriction diet

17 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Maybe he had a heart condition, who knows, never heard of him, probably depends on his diet history

Yes, but you see the enemies of the diet will always blame a death on the diet, as you did Atkins. Gary Taubes talks about this ironically in one of his books. Whatever he dies of, when he dies, a large audience of followers of other diets will attribute the cause to his low carbs, even though they dunno and even his doctors probably won't know.

Edited by BigStar

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

Screenshot_2022-08-09-19-08-57-837_com.android.chrome~2.jpg

But, predictably, you've failed to delve into the details of how he came to weigh so much at the autopsy. Reading little news reports by hack journalists, as we often do here (cf. Twinkie diet), to fit a convenient narrative doesn't get you to an objective view of a matter.

• Haha 1

Just now, BigStar said:

But, predictably, you've failed to delve into the details of how he came to weigh so much at the autopsy. Reading little news reports by hack journalists, as we often do here (cf. Twinkie diet), to fit a convenient narrative doesn't get you to an objective view of a matter.

Maybe he ate chocolate last 2 years. Fat is overrated anyhow.

People who were overweight, but not obese, actually lived longer than people whose weight was considered normal, based on body mass index (BMI). The research is not the first to suggest that those who carry a little, but not too much, extra weight tend to survive longer than people who don't.25 June 2009

https://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20090625/study-overweight-people-live-longer#:~:text=People who were overweight%2C but,than people who don't.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, BigStar said:

if he was eating Twinkies, then that's junk with fat, everyone should know you get fat with that. Now if he'd been eating just carbs i would be shocked

11 hours ago, 2009 said:

Olive,yes.

But I think the others are bad to cook with due to being unstable when heated and creating oxidization more easily (which is a greater concern, when cooking with oil, than saturated fat content).

Coconut oil also remains stable when heated quite well compared to other oils.

Even lard and palm oil are healthier to cook with than most other vegetable oils (due to handling heat better and remaining more stable).

Rice bran oil is very stable when heated. It is a very healthy choice. Lard is very hard on the liver. Almost indigestible. Olive oil is great for frying vegetables and other stuff, but with fried eggs the flavor is too much. Has that morning in Sicily taste. 

Edited by spidermike007

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

i eat loads of bread and I'm lean, usually it's the butter etc people put on it and other fatty junk they eat

I agree.

Asians eats loads of carbs too: rice.

Irish, potatoes

Europeans, pasta and bread

Always were lean people.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, 2009 said:

I agree.

Asians eats loads of carbs too: rice.

Irish, potatoes

Europeans, pasta and bread...Always were lean people.

Not a fan of rice at all.  Taters & pasta ROCK.

I'll do 'fusion' with pasta and Thai curries/sauces.  Works a treat.

Probably why I love Khao Soi, since using egg noodles instead of rice noodles.

Eat lots of bread also, so the carb thing doesn't ring true with me.  Intermittent fasting takes care of all those extras.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Intermittent fasting takes care of all those extras.

Intermittent fasting seems to work but the guys i know who do it don't eat the best diet at all but get away with it until they stop fasting. Personally i don't like starving myself, prefer eating whenever i want 

2 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Intermittent fasting seems to work but the guys i know who do it don't eat the best diet at all but get away with it until they stop fasting. Personally i don't like starving myself, prefer eating whenever i want 

Intermittent fasting ... not fasting.   It's an everyday thing.  Half of which is done overnight while I'm sleeping.  Never do I feel hungry.

4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I eat meal #1 at about 9am - meal #2 by 2pm.....

On some days (once every 2 weeks?) my daughter will make some popcorn/french fries for a snack & I will grab some.....

After establishing this initial routine/habit I found myself not craving food/snacks....

As a result I have lost about 24 kilos & my BMI is sitting right at 2.....

I'm 6'4"/195cm so I wasn't sporting a gut when I started, but I was more rounded....

If I took it to the next stringent levels I probably lose more weight, but right now I feel good and eat anything I want....

The man in the mirror also looks improved...

No starving/cravings 98% of the time....

• Like 1

Usual intermittent fasting schedule goes something like this; wake about sunrise or before 8 am. Have large cup coffee, and catch up on internet, FB/family, news, research whatever.

1st meal, noon-ish, after taking dog to the park or surfside everyday, is usually lite, just a bowl of cereal.  Burn some fat / energy before that 1st meal.

2nd meal when hungry, lite or heavy. Try to keep busy, errands, torrents, shopping, everyday BS.

3rd, last & heavy meal, before sunset 5 or 6 ish, depending time of year. Feed dog, then off to surfside for her evening walk.
7 ish pm, torrent watching, till sleep. Internet after, catch up on anything. Snack before 9pm, very lite, as can't sleep on empty stomach.  Usually sleep midnight-ish.  So half of those fasting hours (6-9hrs) are while I'm laying in bed or actually sleeping. 

Wife pretty much same schedule, separate hobbies, but try to keep busy, tending to the house and what not.

So always at least 12 hour fast, (9pm till noon) usually 15 hours.  Lost 10+ kgs over couple months with no effort, and ate pretty much what ever, and as much as I liked. Kind of surprising actually.  I enjoy my breads, dough, pizza & pastries, with some moderation. Eat a lot of sandwiches though.

Lower blood pressure and blood sugar was a plus. More in the normal range. Weight stays constant now. Really couldn't, wouldn't want to lose much more than 5 kg more. That would put me down to lean weight as when I got out of basic training in Army.

Edited by KhunLA

4 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Usual intermittent fasting schedule goes something like this; wake about sunrise or before 8 am. Have large cup coffee, and catch up on internet, FB/family, news, research whatever.

1st meal, noon-ish, is usually lite, bowl cereal. After taking dog to the park everyday or surfside everyday.
2nd meal when hungry, lite or heavy. Try to keep busy, errands, torrents, shopping, everyday BS.
3rd, last & heavy meal, before sunset 5 or 6 ish, depending time of year. Feed dog, then off to surfside for her evening walk.
7 ish pm, torrent watching, till sleep. Internet after, catch up on anything. Usually sleep midnight-ish.  So half of those fasting hours are while I'm sleeping.  Burn some fat / energy before the 1st meal.

Wife pretty much same schedule, separate hobbies, but try to keep busy, tending to the house and what not.

So always at least 12 hour fast, (9pm till noon) usually 15 hours.  Lost 10+ kgs over couple months with no effort, and ate pretty much what ever, and as much as I liked. Kind of surprising actually.  I enjoy my breads, dough, pizza & pastries, with some moderation. Eat a lot of sandwiches though.

Lower blood pressure and blood sugar was a plus. More in the normal range. Weight stays constant now. Really couldn't, wouldn't want to lose much more than 5 kg more. That would put me down to lean weight as when I got out of basic training in Army.

Your 3 meals are similar to just a normal diet timing wise, many people would do that but not call it intermittent fasting

5 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Intermittent fasting ... not fasting.   It's an everyday thing.  Half of which is done overnight while I'm sleeping.  Never do I feel hungry.

Being consistent, eating fresh and good quality food with the needed nutrients  and never eat to you are full, is the best tip. 

Little bit of everything.

Exercise enough

• Like 1

7 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Very true, the low carb fanatics ignore that

On the contrary, opponents of low carb merely wish to believe so. That's cause they've never read any of the low carb gurus and don't really know anything about low carb theory and research.

So your "authority," McDougall, claims that Vietnamese won The War because they were subsisting on rice.???? Can't make this stuff up. What a nutcase.

So, more hot air on your part. If you knew anything about it, then you'd know that the so-called Asian Paradox was already explored and accounted for in the 1950s. Asians and the other primitive carb-based societies ate relatively low-calorie diets (fewer carbs), the carbs were until more recently unrefined, and people got lots of physical activity.

The combo counteracts the trigyceride-raising effect of carbs and tends to raise HDL. Turns out that the triglycerides are an extremely important marker in the risk of heart disease, more so than LDL. (You might publish your TG/HDL ratio; I'd also get an oral glucose tolerance test if I were you.)

As Asians etc started eating more sugar, unrefined carbs, and got less physical activity they also started getting as fat and unhealthy as their Western counterparts until you get what you're seeing today.

Another myth you're spreading: eating no fats means you stay lean no matter how many carbs you eat. No.???? Ironically dieters following The Starch Solution themselves find it out. Couple of random testimonials:

I went plant-based about six years ago. Lost 120 pounds. Look and feel great. I discovered The Starch Solution and it sounded good. Since I had already lost weight, I thought it would at least be good for maintenance. Followed it to the T and gained back 30 pounds. I am active both at the gym and 3x a week training BJJ.

I eat more than 90 percent the way Dr. McDougall recommends, though I do make some exceptions. I know he doesn't recommend calorie counting, however I wasn't successful in my weight loss until I started tracking calories. It is easy to overdo calorie dense whole foods . . . .

Edited by BigStar