Cheapest (prefer new) phone (Pattaya)

law ling

I post this in the Pattaya forum as I need to know where to go, as well as what to buy.

I want to give someone a basic, workable (prefer new) phone (while they save up to buy their dream phone). Budget is up to B1,500 (if such a thing exists).

1. Cheapest (new) one I found at Tukcom was B1,700 "apro" brand (described as "from Thai"). Is that any good? (Only reviews I found - Youtube - were in Thai only.)

2. Saw B500 and B900 phones in 7-11 - but my understanding with those was (is this right?): you MUST sign up for an ongoing monthly plan (with True), which is an expense I do not want. What's the deal with those 7-11 phones?

3. I have neither the skills to buy online, nor the knowledge to properly assess second-hand phones.

Many thanks for any tips.

A sub 2k phone will all be pretty similar, no/unknown brand name, basic functionality etc. The branding means nothing as its usually the importer who buys 1,000 of them straight from the Chinese factory. I don't think you will find any reviews or recommendations.

You can see these generic phones on sites like Alibaba, buy 100 and they are 1,000 baht each, buy 500 and they are 800 baht each.

A phone from 7/11 isn't 500 baht, the ongoing contract is paying off the phone at so much per month, or they are giving you the phone and making money from the ongoing contract.

You may do better putting the 1500 baht down on the phone your friend wants and they can pay it off via a contract.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

yeah, go the little extra and buy a phone that will enable the user to learn/do what phones these days can do...

you don't want to give them a bicycle w/no wheels that can't be ridden... make it a gift they can use and enjoy, even if that means taking the person with you, assuming they are old enuf to know what a phone does...

good luck.

• Thanks 1

I would not recommend to get an Apro as I have a similar device based on the specs. It is not a good beginner phone.

Specs : 1 - 2 GB RAM, below 32GB storage are phones meant for Android GO edition - the super light Android which is what my device has. It is usable but really <deleted> to uses day to day. The main camera even struggles to capture QR codes, unless perfect lighting. Limited to 1 or 2 heavy apps that will be sluggish. If use for calls and SMS only, then it is fine as the most basic phone.

Better to up your budget for specs with at least 3 - 4GB RAM, storage 32 - 64GB with the regular android. This should be the minimum specs as apps are getting bigger and heavier.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HarrySeaman said:

You can buy an Oppo A57 on Lazada for 1,497 Bt or an Oppo A83 for 1,589 Bt.  You should be able to find similar prices at Tuk Com or at the phone shops in the malls like Bic C Extra, Pattaya Klang and 3rd Rd or on Sukhumvit., or at a Lotus's on Pattaya Nua or on Sukhumvit.  Those stores also have their own phone shops so you can compare prices.

If you don't want to buy a new phone I'll second the advice to go to Tuk Com to buy a second hand phone.  Be ready to spend about 2000 Bt on one from Oppo, Asus, Xiaomi, Samsung, One Plus, Sony, or Lenovo.  Ask for a 1 year replacement guarantee, which you won't get, but if they give you at 6 month guarantee then buy.

Notice these are all Android phones.  If you want an iPhone, which are way overpriced in my opinion, you are on your own.

Confusing post. You state that you'll find similar prices at Tukcom, but then you go on to quote higher prices from Tukcom and poorer guarantees ???? 

That OPPO A57 to which you linked is from 2016 and runs Android 6. That might be an issue. The A83 is a bit better with Android 7.1. They don't seem to get any OS updates.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

That OPPO A57 to which you linked is from 2016 and runs Android 6. That might be an issue. The A83 is a bit better with Android 7.1. They don't seem to get any OS updates.

Not only can not be updated that A57 is full of Chinese text when you try to do anything, even with data turned off and settings seem to change on a whim.  That said if really want to learn smart phone probably a good learning tool (I failed).  Mine has returned to factory reset and put back in box until I feel 20 years younger.  The one thing that did seem to work well was the finger print scanner.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Not only can not be updated that A57 is full of Chinese text when you try to do anything, even with data turned off and settings seem to change on a whim.  That said if really want to learn smart phone probably a good learning tool (I failed).  Mine has returned to factory reset and put back in box until I feel 20 years younger.  The one thing that did seem to work well was the finger print scanner.

Sounds terrible ???? 

We assume this is for young person and must be smart phone - but if we are wrong the 300-500 baht Nokia  clones (real Nokia much more expensive) work well for phone and SMS use.  

Another option would be contract for phone they want from AIS/True/DTAC.  Some offer very good deals to attract new customers (even free phone) with a contract (which may be within means as any phone is going to require some payment plan).

• Thanks 1

On 8/9/2022 at 5:03 PM, Bruno123 said:

Confusing post. You state that you'll find similar prices at Tukcom, but then you go on to quote higher prices from Tukcom and poorer guarantees ???? 

Similar  does not mean same.