Applying for Non-B visa in Vientiane, or enter visa exempt and get Non-B at immigration?

I'm currently on a Non-ED extension, but might not be able to get a letter from the school to cancel my current extension and I might also run into hurdles when trying to apply for a work permit while still holding the ED extension, so I will probably have to void it by leaving Thailand and then have those two options.

What has your experience been with applying for a Non-B visa at Vientiane vs. applying for it at immigration? What is easier? Will be a regular job, no teacher.

The requirements on the embassy website: https://vientiane.thaiembassy.org/en/ประเภทวีซ่า-types-of-visa/

Does somebody have the requirements for the conversion at the immigration office? I once saw a PDF file with them, but couldn't find it now.

Can somebody clarify which of these documents listed on the embassy website are required in my case, because it seems like some of them are only required if teaching.

A few points where I don't know how to do this:

- A police certificate or a criminal record clearance issued by authorities of the applicant’s country of nationality or residence (issued within three months prior to the date of visa application and should be notarized by an authorized body or a diplomatic or consular mission)

How to do this if I'm in Thailand now?

- Evidence of the applicant’s professional qualifications and work experience

How does this have to look like?

- Approval by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Thailand is required prior to submitting a visa application.

How to get this?

Edited by FriendlyFarang

You write that this is not teacher, so I assume you will be working for a Thai company. If the company has employed foreigners before, they should already know what is required. If not, you should try to visit the local labour office with someone from the company, and have them explain what is needed to get the provisional confirmation that you qualify (a key document when applying for the Non B visa). Unlike most sectors of Thai officialdom, the labour department tends to be helpful.

In most first world countries, it is now possible to apply for a criminal records check online. What is your nationality?

• Like 1

necessary

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Are you working for a company or will you teaching a school?

Company

You might want to look here for Vientiane's visa requirements. https://thaivisavientiane.com/#

This looks way less than in the link which I posted in the OP.

Did anybody here recently apply for a non-B in Vientiane and can confirm which documents are actually required? I will also try to contact them to ask them.

A list of the non immigrant visas that immigration does is here. https://www.immigration.go.th/en/?page_id=2537

Thank you

2 hours ago, BritTim said:

If the company has employed foreigners before, they should already know what is required. If not, you should try to visit the local labour office with someone from the company, and have them explain what is needed to get the provisional confirmation that you qualify (a key document when applying for the Non B visa).

They never had a foreigner, I'm the first. I already talked with their accountant or lawyer or whatever, who manages these kind of things, he also doesn't sound like he has experience with it.

I think the part at the labour office should be no big deal, this he can figure out, and if he is missing a document from me I can just send it to him and he can try it again, until he gets the WP3 done for me.

But before I head out of Thailand to apply for a visa at Vientiane, I would like to be prepared and be sure that I have all the required documents, I don't want to be turned away at the embassy because something is missing.

Is it required to make an appointment at the embassy through the website which ubonjoe posted, or can one just show up?

Edited by FriendlyFarang

well we all know the list they provide on their website or other places is usually very different then what they really want at the immigration or the embassy.

If i were you, i would let the HR or the lawyer reach the embassy and found out whats needed. Via telephone is the best. They usually answer sending the link so it might not help again if you email them

good luck

Edited by problemfarang