Messed up my marriage visa?

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone could shed some light on this...

My spouse visa is up for renewal on September 26th 2022.

I was under the impression that I could apply for a yearly extension up to 45 days before it expires.

Problem is... I have a flight booked out of the country on October 5th.

I had planned to apply for my extension on August the 15th and get the new visa granted on September 15th (3 weeks prior to my flight)

I think I may have messed this up because looking at my passport it looks like even if I apply on August 15th, I will still need to go back to immigration for my stamp on October 26th (at which time I will no longer be in the country) I thought I could go back for my stamp 30 days later on September 15th.

1. Is this accurate?

2. If I leave the country and return in November can I reapply?

3. Can I do a border run (auto cancel my marriage visa) and come back in on a 30 day exception and then apply when I get back to Thailand?

4. Can I mail my passport from my home country and have an agent go to immigration to get my stamp?

Many thanks!

Edited by nailbrains8

5 minutes ago, timendres said:

It is pretty rare that the "under consideration" period is longer than one month.

So you should be fine if you can apply by Sept 1.

When I've done previous extensions, for example, last year I applied on September 2nd.

They put a stamp in my passport saying "the applicant must contact this office again in person on 26th October" (the day my visa expired)

Are you saying that I can go back and get my new stamp days or weeks before?

There is a not in the footer of the list of requirements document that I receive today that says:

** The consideration is 30 days since expired of visa **

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, nailbrains8 said:

* The consideration is 30 days since expired of visa *

They mean after expiry of extension.

For some office applying early does not help.

The under consideration period can start from your current expiry.

Edit: cut my post when uj posted.

His suggestion of obtaining a 60 day extension to visit wife is what I was about to suggest that you check out. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, timendres said:

It is pretty rare that the "under consideration" period is longer than one month.

So you should be fine if you can apply by Sept 1.

See number one in my post.

Many offices start the 30 days on the under consideration stamp from when the current extension ends.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

1. Apparently the office where you apply for your extension start the 30 day under consideration period from the end of your current extension.

2. No Have you applied for a 60 day extension to visit your wife since your last entry with a non-o visa? If not that may be your best option. It would be valid for entry until November and you could apply for your one year extension then. You would to get a re-entry permit that would be valid to the day the 60 days end.

3. If you left without  a valid re-entry permit your extension be finished when you leave the country. And you could get a visa exempt entry and the apply for a new non-o visa at immigration.

4. Not if you have a departure stamp in your passport.

Thanks ubonjoe.

Would the extension based on marriage not still cause the same issue? They'll give me a consideration stamp and then ask me to come back a month after my current visa expires?

11 minutes ago, nailbrains8 said:

Thanks ubonjoe.

Would the extension based on marriage not still cause the same issue? They'll give me a consideration stamp and then ask me to come back a month after my current visa expires?

Prior to expiry of current permission of stay apply for 60 day extension to visit wife.

That permit will start from end of current permit.

You would need purchase reentry permit.

When return you can apply for 12 month extension.

All depends on how long you need before you return.

15 minutes ago, nailbrains8 said:

Are you asking about the 60 day extension or the one year extension of stay.

There is no under consideration period for the 60 day extension.

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Are you asking about the 60 day extension or the one year extension of stay.

There is no under consideration period for the 60 day extension.

Ok got it. I will go to immigration and apply for a 60 day extension. ????????????

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

See number one in my post.

Many offices start the 30 days on the under consideration stamp from when the current extension ends.

Nakhon pathom immigration dated my 30 days under consideration from the date of the application... not from the expiry of my extension.... I was 10 days early from my ext'n expiry date.

The new visa I guess will run from my application date too.

I go tomorrow to get the stamp so I'll know for sure.

2 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Nakhon pathom immigration dated my 30 days under consideration from the date of the application... not from the expiry of my extension.... I was 10 days early from my ext'n expiry date.

The new visa I guess will run from my application date too.

I go tomorrow to get the stamp so I'll know for sure.

1st it isn’t a visa.

2nd the extension of the same kind never dates from the application date, the extension is always from the date of expiry

3rd the under consideration period can be as long as 75 days depending on the office you use (application up to 45 days before the extension finishes, under consideration 30 days after the extension finishes)

clearly Nakhon pathom is not one of those.

I am in UK during my under consideration period. I was stamped till Aug 12th and done the renewal on Aug 2nd, and was given under consideration till 11 Sept, I applied re-entry permit till 11 Sept.

Agents are known to be able help renew your permission to stay much earlier than the general rules.