Doesn’t the TAT want tourists here in Thailand?

webfact

6 hours ago, ukrules said:

They could make it simple and just issue 90 day stamps for everyone

Agreed in point, but what tourist comes for 90 days? 

The majority of tourists visit for 14 days - possibly a month. 

Why not make the SE Visa 90 days, elevating the need for real tourists to visit to the immigration office.

A 90 day exempt or to a lesser extent VOA is just open to abuse.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, pomchop said:

Having just gone through the absurd online app for a tourist visa this would be a major help...the current application process and required downloads along with mostly worthless instructions/faq  was obviously done/approved by some who want to make it as frustrating/difficult as possible to get an online visa..the only thing that happened quickly and easily was charging the credit card for the $40 fee. (non refundable).

Yip, it's a brick wall for the non-technical that online visa portal...utter mess for those that don't find online workaround vids/typed workarounds.

Malaysia app was actually just as bad regarding covid stuff with 2 portals doing the same job kind of just to muddy the waters.

6 hours ago, bluebluewater said:

Until I can fly in under the same situation that there was 10 years ago I will not make any plans to visit.

I kinda think that will never be the case.  So be it . . . . .

And what was that situation 10yrs ago ? Just flew in last weekas tourist,  no restrictions , just show passport. Stamped with a Smile.  I was happy to return !

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Antiparovian said:

THere is no such thing as a Visa on arrival. No wonder the author of ASEAN NOW opinion/drivel remains anonymous.

Yes there is.

https://www.thaiembassy.com/thailand-visa/visa-on-arrival

Securing Visas upon entry in Thailand

The VISA ON ARRIVAL allows passport holders of 19* countries to enter Thailand under this rule provided that they meet these requirements:

1. The visit is strictly for tourism purposes.
  2. The passport must be genuine and should be valid for at least 30 days.

However, persons who are not eligible to enter Thailand under the VISA ON ARRIVAL and VISA EXEMPTION RULE are advised to obtain visas with the Royal Thai Embassy prior to their visit.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, trainman34014 said:

Just one small problem; Thailand is totally incapable of 'Getting its act Together'.   And; never forget the Xenophobia factor !

The unelected PM and his junta spring to mind again.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Bottom line is Thailand is competing with Vietnam, Singapore and Cambodia and other countries in the region,

I disagree personally, think these countries all have different things to offer so not comparable....and then for me you add in the major religion difference, enforcement of laws, P4P scene, and now cannabis

Thailand grew its tourism industry way too fast, not improving infrastructure, allowing any Thai with a few baht to get a taxi or songthaew licence, and now a severe shortage of employees who want to work at hotels and resorts is limiting the number of tourists Thailand can actually welcome properly IMO

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SiamAndy said:

Only good thru December of 2022 if approved? What's the sense of even proposing and offering it if it is only good for such a limited time? Idiocy at its finest!

The Committee to discuss this proposal, and the subcommittees needed to analyse it, will be reporting back on November 30th 2022 ????

7 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

With Cha Cha moving the nation backwards, we seem to be moving in the opposite direction of progressive and innovative. Regressive, is more like it. As much as the  sabateurs talk about wanting the tourists back, they are not offering much in the way of concessions or sacrifices to get them.

Tourism will never be the same again here. My heart goes out to those dependent on the industry. 

Maybe tourism will not be the same, but it will still be there. If no Westerners come then tourists will come from Asian countries (eg India) 

Visa that lasts too  long are subject to abuse and cease to be a holiday issue and become  an immigration issue. Which in turn become a petty crime issue which turns into an organised  crime issue. 

In Britain Albanians, Turks, Kurds Kosovans run prostitution, sex trafficking , women selling , target burglary, extortion etc.  The Thai authorities  are naturally cautious as are the authorities in the Middle East.

Edited by The Hammer2021
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Neeranam said:

There is a big problem here with illegal immigrants. There are even agents in Pattaya that help them bypass immigration requirements for £500. As a result, we get undesirables, who have fake year visas. 

We have the same kinds of people in the UK helping illegals, except they're called human rights lawyers over here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Singapore boring? Really, think again as they have many attractions that Thailand does not and people go there for those:

https://traveltriangle.com/blog/singapore-tourist-attractions/

54 Remarkable Places To Visit In Singapore In 2022 Where A Wandering Heart Finds Peace

Aside from Tiger Balm Gardens, which isn't even on that list, there is nothing there I would want to make a special journey for. The Botanical Gardens are like a ship in a bottle. Everything else is overly antiseptic, like being in a hospital.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

Luckily i have a pink card and a hospital card for a few hospitals,when i had to stay at Chonburi for 3 nights,when i t came time to pay ,our son went and they even asked if i wanted time to pay,like a few instalments, we never have had to pay upfront in any Thai hospital ,even Bangkok Pattaya.

Must be lucky 

Yes you are lucky. i was at Bangkok Pattaya Hospital   just yesterday, & about to have minor surgery, in  a weeks time  and was told i will have to pay in advance, maybe you have an more honest face than me  lol 

2 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

Foreigners have a other view on the Thai Culture and politics and they are afraid that they will influence the THai people or open their eyes. Foreigners are a threat for the Government,

No foreigner (and I think you mean Westerner) is a threat to Thailand. It isn't as if planeloads of Aristotles, John Lockes and Thomas Jeffersons are pouring in. And, besides, no Thai would take notice if there were.

Edited by John Drake
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Actually they do. In fact those countries make it so that Thai people can gain citizenship, are able to vote and even buy property!

Thailand allowed this Scotsman to gain citizenship, vote and buy land. 

The fact is that is is very hard for my wife(Thai) to get a long term visa to the UK. It is easy for foreigners to get a long term visa in Thailand, especially if retired. Even easier if married to a Thai.  Many illegals who don't qualify just pay $500 to buy a fake visa and the authorities do nothing. However, If I want to retire to the USA, I must invest 17 million baht. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

Should be 60 days on arrival... end of.

End of my **** 

Why should it be 60 days when your country probably doesn't do it?

Some countries, like Russia allow Thais to travel to with no visa, so Thailand helps them. Switzerland?NZ. 

9 minutes ago, John Drake said:

No foreigner (and I think you mean Westerner) is a threat to Thailand. It isn't as if planeloads of Aristotles, John Lockes and Thomas Jeffersons are pouring in. And, besides, not Thai would take notice if there were.

I understand why you say Aristotle but why the other 2?

Just now, Neeranam said:

Thailand allowed this Scotsman to gain citizenship, vote and buy land. 

The fact is that is is very hard for my wife(Thai) to get a long term visa to the UK. It is easy for foreigners to get a long term visa in Thailand, especially if retired. Even easier if married to a Thai.  Many illegals who don't qualify just pay $500 to buy a fake visa and the authorities do nothing. However, If I want to retire to the USA, I must invest 17 million baht. 

That is for an EB5 visa and after 5 years you could become a Citizen, so isn't 500K USD worth that?

https://www.immigrationintoamerica.com/retire/

Yet you can also do an E2 visa which is less investment, and can be renewed every 5 years

https://www.visaplace.com/usa-immigration/us-work-visas/e2-visas/

There is no minimum amount of investment necessary to obtain an E-2 visa. The investment just has to be “substantial”. What is considered a substantial amount will depend on factors such as the type of business involved, the number of jobs created by the investor’s personal assets, etc. In most cases, the investment should be at least $100,000USD, but sometimes it may be less than this.

8 hours ago, ukrules said:

They could make it simple and just issue 90 day stamps for everyone

That might exacerbate the problems associated with certain foreign nationals who tend to indulge in Love Scams, Online Scams, Boiler Room Scams, Illegal Drug Dealing and who are prone to Monkey Pox...However, it seems most of them don't need extended visas as they tend to overstay anyway???

Not naming any country in particular! :thumbsup:

Hopefully not a racist comment, but purely observational!

I don't care anyway because I am expecting a $1m cheque any day soon from an exiled Prince to help him move his cash and I only had to pay a $10,000 dollar transfer fee!....I have been waiting a bit longer than I expected.....I hope I gave them my correct Bank Details?:goof:

Edited by Troy Tempest

17 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Aside from Tiger Balm Gardens, which isn't even on that list, there is nothing there I would want to make a special journey for. The Botanical Gardens are like a ship in a bottle. Everything else is overly antiseptic, like being in a hospital.

Yet that is your opinion, while many younger families do travel there and spend 2 to 3 weeks and then return whence they came from.  The theme parks are a reason for families to go and take kids.  Sentosa is great. My sister and her family wanted to come and visit here for two weeks but with the flights etc... it was double of what their Hawaiian trip was, and also double for the trip to Fiji.  4 weeks in total as that is what they are able to cobble together as time off from work for the entire year.  School summer break is 6 weeks, 1 week at Thanksgiving, 2 weeks at Christmas over New Years, and a week at Easter is what the kids are given from the schools (10 weeks). The 1 week vacations are to short for travel outside of the US and those are generally spent at home or Skiing.  Not all families can take 45 days off, or 60 days off.....

5 hours ago, Purdey said:

I noticed that Singapore is the only country that doesn’t care what you want, in terms of visa length, but gives what they think you deserve. Clearly they are not dependent on tourists as one of the region’s most boring destinations (never understand why people go there except for business). They have developed their business without much heavy manufacturing.

If Thailand could get its act together, investing in education and business, perhaps this would not make the length of stay such an issue.

Flew recently there, for reasons other than tourism. While I agree that Singapore being basically a city doesn't offer as many choices as other destinations, for those who go for the first 1-2 times it can be quite entertaining. Very safe and easy in terms of transportation and language. Though it annoys me that there's a queue for everything. Also consider that SIA, unlike TG, has managed to recover their strategic hub for Europe-E.Asia-Australia travellers, and offers incentives for a brief stop-over.

And indeed, Singapore is back full steam. My flight was full to the last seat (direct from/to CM).