Return ticket required for no-o based in retirement

I'm retired here in Thailand on  a non-o based on retirement. I may have to travel back to the U.S to take care of some business. I plan on getting one way tickets as I'm not sure how long I'll be in U.S, then getting one way back to Thailand. My thinking is - since I'm retired here I shouldn't have any problems returning-  Any info on the matter would be helpful-

Even a valid re-entry permit is no guarantee of a smooth passage in boarding a return flight to Thailand after a trip to foreign parts in my experience. A few years ago I had a devil of a job in persuading a check-in assistant at LGW after a trip to the UK that my re-entry permit was good to go. In particular she was obsessed with the fact that my original non-OA visa had long expired! Thankfully she eventually relented and allowed me to proceed to the boarding gate.

Should the OP have the misfortune to encounter a similar experience for his eventual return flight with a check-in assistant who proved rather more obstinate, my advice to him would be to summon their supervisor - who will, hopefully, be rather more clued-up on the vagaries of Thai immigration processes!

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, OJAS said:

Even a valid re-entry permit is no guarantee of a smooth passage in boarding a return flight to Thailand after a trip to foreign parts in my experience. A few years ago I had a devil of a job in persuading a check-in assistant at LGW after a trip to the UK that my re-entry permit was good to go. In particular she was obsessed with the fact that my original non-OA visa had long expired! Thankfully she eventually relented and allowed me to proceed to the boarding gate.

Should the OP have the misfortune to encounter a similar experience for his eventual return flight with a check-in assistant who proved rather more obstinate, my advice to him would be to summon their supervisor - who will, hopefully, be rather more clued-up on the vagaries of Thai immigration processes!

Ask to speak to the Duty Officer. The D/O is God.

Had a problem  with a one way ticket to Thiland in US at a small airport in my city.  Asked for the station mgr, showed him my retirement ""visa"" and a certificate of residency, he OKed my boarding and called the station mgr at my transfer point.  That station mgr ( transfer point ) advised his people I was cleared to board.

Station managers rule the roost, remember that IF you are in the right!

Edited by edwardflory
spelling
  • Like 1

Do not make my mistake and let your visa expire while you are away.

past experience is that re-entry plus valid visa has always been OK at UK airports.

I believe that if you know you are going to be away when your visa expires, you can ask for an early extension/renewal.  I did this a BKK once, pre-Covid.  Depend on your local I/O but worth asking.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

I was refused entry  to a flight from Delhi to Bangkok and the next day I came back with an additional cheap ticket from Bangkok to Kuala Lumpur.....The Indians tried to stop me again but then I could convince them that the Thai Immigration would be responsible and not them....Once arrived in Bangkok no problem at immigration

• Like 1

thanks for all the input, and info. read somewhere that as long as you have a non o- it shouldn't be a problem, just wanted to check with you guys. Going to check with my IO here in Sisaket before I go, just to make sure- Thanks again-

7 hours ago, OJAS said:

Similar experience with LH check in agent in Munich. Have a return ticket. She had never seen a re entry permit nor a retirement ext. & LH system "doesn't recognise this type of visa".  In the end it got sorted out. 

I’ve come to Thailand from Canada on a one-way ticket before. My shock was buying the one-way return ticket to Canada from Thailand. It was almost the same price that I would’ve paid on a round-trip from Canada.

You might be better off buying a round-trip ticket with the ability to change your departure date. Additional fees required. 

• Like 1

On 8/12/2022 at 12:07 AM, PolarAttack said:

I’ve come to Thailand from Canada on a one-way ticket before. My shock was buying the one-way return ticket to Canada from Thailand. It was almost the same price that I would’ve paid on a round-trip from Canada.

You might be better off buying a round-trip ticket with the ability to change your departure date. Additional fees required. 

I agree.

I haven't been back to the UK since Pre-Covid times for obvious reasons and so my return ticket back to the UK expired.

I want to go back to the UK soon and was thinking of buying a one-way ticket as I am not sure how long I will stay....But, the prices are almost the same as a return ticket so I will just pay the premium for a Flexi-Return.

It works out a lot cheaper!

• Like 1