High-Speed Police Chase Leads to Fatal Accident, Fuels Debate

webfact

image.jpeg

A high-speed pursuit by the police in Nakhon Ratchasima resulted in a tragic accident on the night of April 23. The officers from Chaloem Phra Kiat Police Station were chasing a theft suspect when his motorcycle collided with a tree. The passenger, reported to be the suspect's girlfriend, died instantly, while the suspect succumbed to his injuries the following day.

The police chase started behind a school in Ban Song Kuru Prachasan and continued along the Tha Chang-Nong Hua Raet road. The fatal crash occurred when the police vehicle encountered the motorcycle during an attempt to overtake it.

The deaths have raised questions over police chase protocols, leading to a formal investigation. Police Colonel Bandit Chatuwat, from the Chaloem Phra Kiat Police Station, stated that the case is being treated as a traffic accident.

Investigators are currently gathering evidence where CCTV footage is limited. Forensic Science Centre 3 officials are expected to inspect the crash site and involved vehicles.

Though the victims' families are yet to make statements, the investigation is believed to conclude within a week.

Superintendent of Johor Police Station, Police Colonel Natheer Sukhunya, highlighted the jurisdiction of Chaloem Phra Kiat Police Station over this investigation due to the accident's location. He confirmed that the officers involved have provided their accounts. 

Despite the tragic event, the theft case prompting the chase continues under separate investigation by Johor Police Station, expediting a report for higher authorities.

The accidental deaths have prompted an inquiry into police conduct during high-speed pursuits, highlighting a need for careful scrutiny of the gathered evidence and a detailed understanding of the fatal incident's circumstances.

Picture: Creative Commons License via Google

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-04-26

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 2

Wait for.........Dicky Smith to give us the break down, cause and probably solution ( oh and maybe a story about a police chase he, or someone he knows, was involved with ).

I wait with baited breath.

• Haha 2

i was going to just type they could have pulled over,
but i suspect this part is the bit that is concerning people

32 minutes ago, webfact said:

The fatal crash occurred when the police vehicle encountered the motorcycle during an attempt to overtake it.

"to overtake it" ........., 

22 minutes ago, patman30 said:

i was going to just type they could have pulled over,
but i suspect this part is the bit that is concerning people

"to overtake it" ........., 

In other words, cut the bike off!

• Agree 1

32 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Yeah, let people get away, and let them stop police from doing their work, right? Nothing wrong with the police in this case, if you are not going after European way of thinking. Sorry, this is Thailand. Get used to it. The person who died, should have stopped. Then the person would still be alive.

The pillion passenger had little choice in the matter

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

57 minutes ago, itsari said:

The pillion passenger had little choice in the matter

I will take it, the person know what 1di0t was driving the bike. Otherwise the driver would have been sensible and stopped if the person would have asked for it.

• Sad 1

It is always going to be a very dangerous situation when a motorcycle cop chases a guy on a motorcycle or in a car. It's always going to be very difficult for him to pull the guy over unless other police can intercept the suspect, with some sort of roadblock.

So the question comes down to should they chase or not? I suppose it depends on the nature of the crime, if it's relatively petty shoplifting, I would say don't chase. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

The passenger, reported to be the suspect's girlfriend, died instantly, while the suspect succumbed to his injuries the following day.

Good news.

6 hours ago, ChipButty said:

The police should have backed off if the pursuit looked to be dangerous then nobody would die, 

The perps could have stopped too.

Being Thailand, I think one can safely assume that there is no “high speed pursuit training” for the Police. The same as there is no “high speed driver awareness” courses for ambulance or fire brigade drivers. 

In many civilised european countries, unlike the US, the police are specifically told not to engage in high speed pursuits for minor offenses like petty theft or even purse snatching. For obvious reasons to avoid such tragedies in highly congested and populated urban areas. A different story if it's at night and more quiet, but definately not recommended by many european departments in broad daylight.

Rules of engagement are different in Europe compared to trigger happy USA. Police cannot shoot somebody in the back and cannot engage with firearms, if there is not a factual display of means (knife or gun) that could lead to serious physical threat to the officer or bystanders.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Your second bizarre conclusion of the day, if he had stopped there would be no reason for this post. This article is not about what criminals should do in the face of law enforcement, the topic is about what police should do when giving chase to a suspect? Chase, or not?

It would really be wonderful if you could stay on point. 

It would also be wonderful, if you stop making assumptions on this forum, that has no foundation in reality. Just stop now Mike the Spider. You are embarrassing yourself.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think it's important to take into consideration that high speed pursuits can lead to deaths, not only of the suspected criminal but also the police officers and the general public who may, quite innocently, get in the way.

Sometimes the "crime" may be of an insignificant nature, but the consequences of the pursuit could be very grave.

Of course, nobody wants criminals to go unpunished, but there must be a risk assessment decision in such pursuits, and it should not be made by the pursuing police officer, whose adrenaline rush impairs his judgement.

In the UK a pursuing police officer is required to give constant updates about the chase, and the senior officer in the control room makes the decision whether the pursuit is justified, or should be called off. I'm sure this is the same policy in many western countries.

10 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

I think it's important to take into consideration that high speed pursuits can lead to deaths, not only of the suspected criminal but also the police officers and the general public who may, quite innocently, get in the way.

Sometimes the "crime" may be of an insignificant nature, but the consequences of the pursuit could be very grave.

Of course, nobody wants criminals to go unpunished, but there must be a risk assessment decision in such pursuits, and it should not be made by the pursuing police officer, whose adrenaline rush impairs his judgement.

In the UK a pursuing police officer is required to give constant updates about the chase, and the senior officer in the control room makes the decision whether the pursuit is justified, or should be called off. I'm sure this is the same policy in many western countries.

Same as Australia if the pursue gets to dangerous it will be called of