Using agent to renew child / parent visa

Won't be doing my next Parent / child extension until August next year (just completed one). Will be cutting it a bit fine on ready cash (400k in the bank) around then. Should be collecting my Superannuation in May so if that goes without a hitch I should be fine but just wondering...should I get caught short and need to use an agent (can you use an agent to do a child extension of an old O/A visa?) Just wondering how late you can leave it to get someone to do it? Right up until the stay until date or do you have to get the ball rolling a week or month etc before?

It would be a last resort and don't really want to do it through an agent but if worst comes to worst maybe not have a choice. 

• Like 1

And by the way I assume a child extension of O/A visa is still money in the bank 2 months before the stay until date? And do you have right up until the stay until date.....I mean as close as the day before to go in and renew your extension or do you have to do it a certain time before? Is there any leeway after the stay until date?

It depends what you are using the agent for: just doing  the running around and paperwork and queueing or borrowing  the money also. If its the latter I would  allow two weeks  but would ask the agent - remember you have to open a bank account and make an appointment for you, the IO and the  agent to  meet, sign  documents,  take photos  etc. Then wait a day  for completion. But you should check with the agent what the  timescale is - definitely  do not leave it to the last minute.

Thai Visa Express in Pattaya is very good and Paul the owner we'll be able to help.  

Great reviews and been around a long time. You may find it easier and more streamlined with an agent in any case.

Good luck. 

22 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

It depends what you are using the agent for: just doing  the running around and paperwork and queueing or borrowing  the money also. If its the latter I would  allow two weeks  but would ask the agent - remember you have to open a bank account and make an appointment for you, the IO and the  agent to  meet, sign  documents,  take photos  etc. Then wait a day  for completion. But you should check with the agent what the  timescale is - definitely  do not leave it to the last minute.

No I wont be doing it in that way with a third party agent, and probably best not to directly mention those sort of specifics. I will have to ask the "agent" for sure. 

21 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

Thai Visa Express in Pattaya is very good and Paul the owner we'll be able to help.  

Great reviews and been around a long time. You may find it easier and more streamlined with an agent in any case.

Good luck. 

Well it's very nice of you to promote  one  particular  agency but I choose not to nor would I take  a recommendation  just because it was  given on line. The agents I deal with are Thais, Thai women, are very efficient.  I use a different  one  for  my DL, my visa and and my passport  renewal- thats three different agents. I avoid the  agents with  expat men having found  them to be a bit rude and abrasive and if I'm honest er...'the tattooed crim type' to whom I'm not inclined to trust my affairs...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Well it's very nice of you to promote  one  particular  agency but I choose not to nor would I take  a recommendation  just because it was  given on line. The agents I deal with are Thais, Thai women, are very efficient.  I use a different  one  for  my DL, my visa and and my passport  renewal- thats three different agents. I avoid the  agents with  expat men having found  them to be a bit rude and abrasive and if I'm honest er...'the tattooed crim type' to whom I'm not inclined to trust my affairs...

Not interested in this sort of stuff or your favorite agent or you don't like someone's agent or any other squabbles please. More interested in specifics I asked and people have experience not motherly advice. threads practically dead / hijacked already

I'll try again....

1) Anyone know / have experience how long you have to give an "agent" to get a parent ext done? I don't mean a farang type visa agent. (If this is too obtuse answers to other questions appreciated)

2) Parent extension need money in the bank 2 months before?

3) Normally with a parent ext if you did have the money in the bank for 2 months....can you apply on the very last day of your stay until date? (I know not advisable but circumstances / timelines may not leave me much choice but to apply maybe a few days before or even the actual day).

4) Is there any leeway on Parent extensions (aka the same as 90 day reports) where you have up to 7 days after the stay until date to reapply for extension or it has to be done before stay until date?

Appreciate specific answers if possible 

7 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

1) Anyone know / have experience how long you have to give an "agent" to get a parent ext done? I don't mean a farang type visa agent. (If this is too obtuse answers to other questions appreciated)

2) Parent extension need money in the bank 2 months before?

3) Normally with a parent ext if you did have the money in the bank for 2 months....can you apply on the very last day of your stay until date? (I know not advisable but circumstances / timelines may not leave me much choice but to apply maybe a few days before or even the actual day).

4) Is there any leeway on Parent extensions (aka the same as 90 day reports) where you have up to 7 days after the stay until date to reapply for extension or it has to be done before stay until date?

1, Cannot answer that since I have never used a agent.

2. Clause 2.18 of the immigration order does not mention the 2 months requirement when applying for extension for being a parent of Thai. Some offices still want it to be in bank for 2 months though.

3. You Can apply for the extension on the day your current one ends.

4. No 

But you could apply for a 60 day extension to visit your child if you have not applied for one since your last entry with a visa.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

1, Cannot answer that since I have never used a agent.

2. Clause 2.18 of the immigration order does not mention the 2 months requirement when applying for extension for being a parent of Thai. Some offices still want it to be in bank for 2 months though.

3. You Can apply for the extension on the day your current one ends.

4. No 

But you could apply for a 60 day extension to visit your child if you have not applied for one since your last entry with a visa.

Thanks Joe. What I am most worried about is losing my current Parent extension and having to start that horrible tedious process again....carting people up to immigration for interviews etc. I am guessing a 60 day extension isn't going to keep my current extension in place. If I did void my current parental extension and go on another extension temporarily, and reapply for parental on my O/A even say a month after this current one expires....do they make the process any easier or quicker as you had one before for 3 years or start from scratch?

I read the requirements on a Parental extension. I always thought it was money in the bank same day you apply, but the requirement doesn't actually say that....it says nothing except 400k in the bank. You could assume either. My IO office (KK) does require 2 months but I wonder how it would go pushing the point that there is no legal requirement? Not too good I would imagine ????

10 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

Just wondering how late you can leave it to get someone to do it?

If you are over 50 an agent would want to do extension based on retirement.

As you mentioned in one of your posts you don't want to jeopardize the extensions based on child.

To gain more time you could apply for 60 day extension to visit child. 

Hopefully the super would become available by then. 

28 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

I am guessing a 60 day extension isn't going to keep my current extension in place.

You current extension will still be valid since you are extending it for 60 days to visit your child. You can apply for the new extension near the end of the 60 days.

30 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

I read the requirements on a Parental extension. I always thought it was money in the bank same day you apply, but the requirement doesn't actually say that....it says nothing except 400k in the bank.

This from clause 2.18 the immigration order.

(5) In the case of parents, the father or mother must maintain an average annual income of no less than Baht 40,000 per month throughout the year or must have deposited funds of no less than Baht 400,000 to cover expenses for one year.

No mention of the 2 months. Only number 6 mentions the 2 months for a extension based upon marriage.

Download: Immigration Order 327/2557 (2014)

29 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

If you are over 50 an agent would want to do extension based on retirement.

That's not correct. I have lots of mates on Marriage extensions using an agent method with no problems at all....and the parent visa is nearly identical to marriage. (An agent without spelling it out doesn't necesarilly have to be a third party farang run visa company or person).

Edited by Kenny202

2 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

That's not correct. I have lots of mates on Marriage extensions using an agent method with no problems at all....

Perhaps they have the funds available to meet the requirements.

In any event you clearly are aware of your options. 

Especially in regards to agents and 60 day extension to visit family..

7 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You current extension will still be valid since you are extending it for 60 days to visit your child. You can apply for the new extension near the end of the 60 days.

This from clause 2.18 the immigration order.

(5) In the case of parents, the father or mother must maintain an average annual income of no less than Baht 40,000 per month throughout the year or must have deposited funds of no less than Baht 400,000 to cover expenses for one year.

No mention of the 2 months. Only number 6 mentions the 2 months for a extension based upon marriage.

Download: Immigration Order 327/2557 (2014)

You current extension will still be valid since you are extending it for 60 days to visit your child.

So what you are saying Joe is I can essentially extend my current extension by 60 days keeping my current parent extension in place. Is that difficult? If so that would be excellent. Is it a leave the country and come back in thing?

In all honesty a lot depends on when my money comes in and having it in the bank for the required 2 months. If anything may be short only a few days or a week so just need to buy some time.

I did read that, and it could be open to dispute. I just don't know how much luck you would have standing on your digs with them though. Although my IO seems to be better than most, things like this seem to be "up to them" and arguing about it only seems to turn things into a smarty pants competition where you are going to lose. I think also these parental / marriage extensions are approved at head office (Korat) and maybe it is their directive to demand the 2 months. 

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

Perhaps they have the funds available to meet the requirements.

Not being argumentative here but for the sake of clarity I know for a fact they don't have funds available, This is why 95% of people use agents this way. It is possible an agent would try and steer you towards retirement as it may be easier for them but with that comes insurance requirements and greater amounts of money in the bank for longer periods.

Only other reason would be you have too much money and happy to throw away 20-30k to avoid a little bit of paperwork (which you end up doing mostly yourself anyway) and someone holding your hand. You still have to provide them with all the copies and documentation, photos etc anyway.

8 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

So what you are saying Joe is I can essentially extend my current extension by 60 days keeping my current parent extension in place. Is that difficult? If so that would be excellent. Is it a leave the country and come back in thing?

Many people have gotten the 60 day extension when they are on one year extension without a problem and then applied near the end of the 60 days for the new one year. Certainly no need to leave the country.

12 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

I did read that, and it could be open to dispute. I just don't know how much luck you would have standing on your digs with them though. Although my IO seems to be better than most, things like this seem to be "up to them" and arguing about it only seems to turn things into a smarty pants competition where you are going to lose. I think also these parental / marriage extensions are approved at head office (Korat) and maybe it is their directive to demand the 2 months. 

Have you asked them about it? I can recall a report of Koen Khean not requiring the 2 months and it was approved by Division 4 headquarters that is now located in KK.

8 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

Not being argumentative here but for the sake of clarity I know for a fact they don't have funds available, This is why 95% of people use agents this way. It is possible an agent would try and steer you towards retirement as it may be easier for them but with that comes insurance requirements and greater amounts of money in the bank for longer periods.

Only other reason would be you have too much money and happy to throw away 20-30k to avoid a little bit of paperwork (which you end up doing mostly yourself anyway) and someone holding your hand. You still have to provide them with all the copies and documentation, photos etc anyway.

If using an.agent and their funds the ins and seasoning dont apply.... and 30k?? 

6 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

This is why 95% of people use agents this way. It is possible an agent would try and steer you towards retirement as it may be easier for them but with that comes insurance requirements and greater amounts of money in the bank for longer periods

Only replying to assist anyone who read your post. 

Insurance is not required for extensions based on marriage (even extensions from a non O-A)

Insurance is not required for extensions from a non O based on retirement or marriage.

As for agents, it's irrelevant how much the financial requirements are.

As for agent assisted extensions the vast majority would use the retirement option. 

In fact many would not even do extensions based on marriage. 

Anyway the good news is that you are now aware of 60 day extension to visit family.

26 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Many people have gotten the 60 day extension when they are on one year extension without a problem and then applied near the end of the 60 days for the new one year. Certainly no need to leave the country.

Have you asked them about it? I can recall a report of Koen Khean not requiring the 2 months and it was approved by Division 4 headquarters that is now located in KK.

Many people have gotten the 60 day extension when they are on one year extension without a problem and then applied near the end of the 60 days for the new one year. 

But if you apply for a new parent extension at the end of the 60 days don't you have to go through all the initial stuff you have to do for the first year of a parental extension? getting 3 people from the moo baan to take photos in your home, come to immigration once or twice for meetings and interviews etc. After the first year no need for any of that. That is what I am trying to avoid by keeping my current extension going. I was wondering if they take into account you have already done all that stuff some time ago or need to start from scratch and go through the rigmoral again.

I will ask them for sure Joe, get my missus to call on Monday. I haven't checked for a year or two but last time I did check (maybe 2 years ago) they were rock solid on 2 years. Didn't want to discuss it at all. Will report back on this thread Monday, Tuesday

3 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

But if you apply for a new parent extension at the end of the 60 days don't you have to go through all the initial stuff you have to do for the first year of a parental extension?

No.

Prior to expiry of 60 day extension you will apply for 12 month extension based on Thai child.

The requirements for the 12 month extension will be exactly the same as the extension that you recently obtained. 

41 minutes ago, Olmate said:

If using an.agent and their funds the ins and seasoning dont apply.... and 30k?? 

Aware of that and yes the 30k is ridiculous but some pay that much and more if uninformed. Knew a Thai lady paid 50k on behalf of her husband a couple of years ago. Obviously didn't do the due diligence and wasn't her money / her concern anyway

7 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

But if you apply for a new parent extension at the end of the 60 days don't you have to go through all the initial stuff you have to do for the first year of a parental extension?

No

You will be extending your current extension not a new entry from a non-o visa.

16 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

No

You will be extending your current extension not a new entry from a non-o visa.

Oh ok, I thought maybe the 60 day extension would void the current parental extension I have now. Sorry for the many questions ???? Really do appreciate the advice from all

2 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

That's not correct. I have lots of mates on Marriage extensions using an agent method with no problems at all....and the parent visa is nearly identical to marriage. (An agent without spelling it out doesn't necesarilly have to be a third party farang run visa company or person).

Little point using an agent on a marriage/family extension as you still have to collect all the copies and certificates bank the required funds and obtain their certificates attend Immigration 2 or 3 times with your wife/children and risk further finance restrictions during the year. You do all the work and the agent gets a sizeable fee. Agent enabled retirement extensions however are relatively painless and a farang principal can explain it to you better.

After 10 yrs of doing my own marriage extensions and due to ill health I have finally succumbed to an agent enabled retirement extension! I think I have earned my retirement!

26 minutes ago, chilly07 said:

Little point using an agent on a marriage/family extension as you still have to collect all the copies and certificates bank the required funds and obtain their certificates attend Immigration 2 or 3 times with your wife/children and risk further finance restrictions during the year. You do all the work and the agent gets a sizeable fee. Agent enabled retirement extensions however are relatively painless and a farang principal can explain it to you better.

After 10 yrs of doing my own marriage extensions and due to ill health I have finally succumbed to an agent enabled retirement extension! I think I have earned my retirement!

You're missing the point. Many use agents as the have no choice, don't have the funds in the bank. I agree if you used an agent thinking you were going to save time and they wave a wand and make all your paperwork appear and forms signed you would be sadly mistaken. Having said that the yearly requirement for marriage / child visa is not a great deal more complicated than retirement (I have had both). The biggest hassle is the first year getting witnesses etc but after that fairly straight forward and routine. I always have the correct forms, photos and copies ready. Never a drama

32 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

if you used an agent thinking you were going to save time and they wave a wand and make all your paperwork appear and forms signed you would be sadly mistaken.

That is exactly why I use an agent for my retirement visa and extensions. At CW this is just what they do. One  and a half hours to convert a work B visa to an O for retirement. Simple. I was there and it came down just as I stated. No under considerations stamps, nothing. Good luck in your quest. 

14 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Good luck. 

Second That ... Paul Always got the Job done for Us regarding Visas Even when so called Easy One ripped Us of .

• Like 1