https://aseannow.com/topic/1268621-police-checks-are-already-heavy-even-before-the-seatbelt-rule-starts/Police checks are already heavy even before the seatbelt rule starts

webfact

The problem is not the law, but enforcing of it....Seatbelt in the back are obliged almost in all European countries and childrens seats also. If you don't do it the police will fine you and not some peanuts in fact they are heavy fines. Here in Thailand they make laws.. introduce them and then, especially if not a foreigner, they don't do anything. Sitting in the back of a pick up is forbidden, but look around how many even speeding are on the road without that the police is doing anything. Same for seatbelts. On checkpoints they check if you paid the taxes and that is all, black smoke? no problem. Drunk? no problem as you don't need to open the window. Stoned? probably they don't see it either.  No driverslicence? I have never need to show it. and than we just don't talk about no helmets on a motorcycle. and the cars who are driving on the sideroad to avoid the checkpoint as they don't stop the traffic there. It is just a farce... I know people don't like it to pay fines, but if you want a safer country with less accidents, start with a good check and eforcing the rules, and not for a certain group, or a few days.

8 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Seatbelt on a motorbike !!!

Thats the funniest sht ive read this week.

It is funny,  I agree but think about it!  Why do you require a seat kid strap in a car but allow a person on a bike to carry the child in one arm babies riding insecure in a sidecarts!  

Just stirring the pot,  not trying to change anything I can't but asking one party they must while another get a past is mix messaging. It is practice what you preach  85% of accidents death here in Thailand are motorbikes is it some safe way riding a bike holding a child safer? 

What is funny is someone with an IQ questioning the suggestion?  The response would be typical from  Thailand?

2 hours ago, petertucker48 said:

What about the people in the back of a pickup truck.

Well presumably there will be a loophole in the new law that states if seat belts aren't fitted then they don't need to be worn.

That's certainly the case with the law in the UK.

For example many vintage and classic cars weren't fitted with seat belts particularly in the rear when they were first manufactured but you can still travel legally in them without having to belt up.

They tried and failed to ban people from riding in the back of pickup trucks some years ago. 

Although in my humble opinion pickups carrying passengers in the back should be banned from all major highways and should also adhere to a lower speed limit than the rest of the vehicles on the road.

But as we know, rules of the road don't mean anything here...

I can understand the seat belt laws and it will certainly stop some fatalities. I will not stop the number of accidents from incompetent drivers. many people think the fines go into the police pockets i don't think this is the case maybe I'm wrong ?  

39 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

It is funny,  I agree but think about it!  Why do you require a seat kid strap in a car but allow a person on a bike to carry the child in one arm babies riding insecure in a sidecarts!  

Just stirring the pot,  not trying to change anything I can't but asking one party they must while another get a past is mix messaging. It is practice what you preach  85% of accidents death here in Thailand are motorbikes is it some safe way riding a bike holding a child safer? 

What is funny is someone with an IQ questioning the suggestion?  The response would be typical from  Thailand?

Sidecarts are not legal and you will find it against the law to carry a child in your arms whilst operating a motorbike.

You misguided pot stirring should be angled more towards why aren't existing laws policed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, thailand49 said:

Seat and belt for a kid as required for a car! 

You want to get tough serious then set up each morning during school hours and days 1 Km from entrance to the factory of death. 

The way they inspect by the time vehicle get up to the front to be inspected parents and kids would get out and walk by the time vehicle is inspected parent would be back into the car all buckle up. ????

Except for the underaged kids who use a motorbike to get to and from school maybe.

26 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Sidecarts are not legal and you will find it against the law to carry a child in your arms whilst operating a motorbike.

You misguided pot stirring should be angled more towards why aren't existing laws policed.

Even worse, some members will no doubt recall the photos of a tour bus driver holding his very small baby and giving the baby a bottle of milk while he's steering the moving bus with his knees. 

2 hours ago, worgeordie said:

hear the sirens of Police cars most nights

especially when its raining ......

more likely ambulances/rescue going to get people who have crashed because of blacked out windows and excess speed, not taking into account the road conditions.

happens a lot where I am, at the foot of a mountain road, 2 lanes up and 2 down built with painted "ghost islands" to save money and lots of blind corners, you know how Thai's like to overtake on blind corners.

Edited by foreverlomsak
Clarification
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, foreverlomsak said:

more likely ambulances/rescue going to get people who have crashed because of blacked out windows and excess speed, not taking into account the road conditions.

happens a lot where I am, at the foot of a mountain road, 2 lanes up and 2 down built with painted "ghost islands" to save money and lots of blind corners, you know how Thai's like to overtake on blind corners.

So because of Blacked out windows they crashed? I will agree with excess speed, but how do you blame blacked out windows?  Are you saying because it was dark out, with no lights over the roadway they could not see because of the darkened windows? or are you trying to say they were driving faster than the conditions allowed.  Or was it because they corner? You seem to have thrown in everything but the kitchen sink as to why they crashed.  How about inattention to detail, impaired driving, sleepy fatiqued, and so many others.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Where you live got your head in the sand now that is so funny. 

I think we agree in why or why not laws are practiced here but someone like yourself trying to justify your position by citing the law in regards to sidecarts as to children just shoes how out of touch you are to reality. 

Just like allowing kids to use motorbikes so they have access to schooling a past has also been given to Thais who need and use sidecarts to make a living. 

Thanks for the hypocrisy comment and laugh for the year Illegal! ????

8 hours ago, webfact said:

the last time they stopped me was in Trang province and there they fined us as my passengers in the back were not wearing a seat belts. In those days I was new in town, so paid up as I didn’t know the rules.

You were obliged to pay the fine as wearing of seat belts for rear seat passengers has been mandatory for a few years now, it is not a new law that is just being introduced now.

3 hours ago, Photoguy21 said:
4 hours ago, Orinoco said:

Lot;s of new business will be created for blacked out windows.

It's an attitude thing in Thailand when it comes to road safety.

Also a great excuse to bring back the check points.

Amazing Thailand, again and again.

Expand  

I think, but not sure it is a maximum of 30%.

It's not, there are no window tint regulations here.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, spermwhale said:

It's about time this law is implemented. They should have done this 20 years ago and they could have saved the lives of many lovely Thai kids who flew through their parents' car's windshields in accidents. 

Even the Richie riches at my kids' international school had BMWs with chilnseats for their kids, but they never strapped them in. I saw one of them have to lock the brakes up and her kid flew into the back of her seat and got a bloody nose. That was going 5kph. 

Bang on. Why would you not wear a seat belt? And riding a bike or driving a car or just being a pedestrian, there is no way of telling if the car driver has seen you with blacked out windows. In UK you can acknowledge each other etc. So dangerous here.

1 hour ago, PEE TEE said:

many people think the fines go into the police pockets i don't think this is the case maybe I'm wrong ?  

The police get 95% of all fines issued. The government get the remaining 5%. The 95% is divided between all police staff within the confines of the station of the issuing officer. It's pooled so that officers that remain at their office get an equal share.

24 minutes ago, thailand49 said:
1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Except for the underaged kids who use a motorbike to get to and from school maybe.

Yes,  and that is why I call this exception the Factory of death by the government.

"I call this exception the Factory of death".

The law (government as you refer to it) does not exempt anyone from riding unlicenced. 

10 minutes ago, Orinoco said:

Oh forgot to block your nonsense again.

now sorted,  bye, ha ha. 

Back up your "nonsense" (your word) allegation with some evidence, then.  There are no window tinting laws in effect in Thailand.     

You know that blocking my comments only affects you, right, not me?    "Ha ha", to quote you.

Edited by Liverpool Lou