Why Do Australians Come Long-time to Places Like Thailand?

1 hour ago, Excel said:

I suspect, but don't really know, that the Aborigines may very well share that viewpoint.

Billions of dollars have been shovelled into welfare for them, the woke term is Kooris.

I don't know what the answer is, but what is being done for them now is not working.

Anyone who thinks Aboriginals are victims should pay a visit to Bourke, Murrum Bridge, Wentworth, or Fitzroy Crossing. It's like being in a war zone, or a white man taking a walk through Harlem.

The smarter or more gifted ones make it in mainstream Australian society, but they always seem to go back to their roots. The ones who don't get out of the settlements sit on their bums with their hands out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Excel said:

Oh dear, what I said in a light hearted manner appears to have brought out the extreme prejudice you have towards the indigenous peoples. Sorry about that.

not really prejudice more like a statement of fact

5 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Blame him then.

Probably means I have an aboriginal somewhere in the family tree.

I must investigate this notion as it could bring all those benefits proven aborignality brings. 

Edited by norbra
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, norbra said:

Probably means I have an aboriginal somewhere in the family tree.

I must investigate this notion as it could bring all those benefits proven aborignality brings. 

All you need is one in thirty-two of your forebears.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, G Rex said:

Do you , or have you lived in Australia?

The Indigenous people have a loud voice , and are doing very nicely , living off of the White mans’ feelings of guilt for past occurrences.

Ther's good reasons why 'white' Austraians should feel some guilt in respect to the earlier treatment of the first citizens of Australia and even now there's many cases of poor treatment of aboriginal folks who end up, for whatever reason in jail (long-term or overnight).

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Ther's good reasons why 'white' Austraians should feel some guilt in respect to the earlier treatment of the first citizens of Australia and even now there's many cases of poor treatment of aboriginal folks who end up, for whatever reason in jail (long-term or overnight).

Makes no sense. Nobody alive has anything to do with 250 years ago.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Makes no sense. Nobody alive has anything to do with 250 years ago.

Whatever. There's been events and attitudes much more recently which are shameful. Do some reading about Queensland (and other states), still to this day incidents of violence against aboriginal teens in custody

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Billions of dollars have been shovelled into welfare for them, the woke term is Kooris.

I don't know what the answer is, but what is being done for them now is not working.

Anyone who thinks Aboriginals are victims should pay a visit to Bourke, Murrum Bridge, Wentworth, or Fitzroy Crossing. It's like being in a war zone, or a white man taking a walk through Harlem.

The smarter or more gifted ones make it in mainstream Australian society, but they always seem to go back to their roots. The ones who don't get out of the settlements sit on their bums with their hands out.

Sure, there's also the situation of dozens of western style houses being built inplaces like Wilcannia, but with no ongoing support/guidance. Within a couple of years all in very poor repair. 

3 hours ago, Excel said:

I am very sorry to hear that and the reason I asked is because I know what it is like to lose a loved one too early in life to illness and many thanks for your reply. Good to hear also that your family is doing well. 

Thank you.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, scorecard said:

. Many sources report over-representation of Indigenous offenders at all stages of the criminal justice system. As of September 2019, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander prisoners represented 28% of the total adult prisoner population, while accounting for 3.3% of the general population  

Lawlessness is a major issue with the Koories. They are able to flaunt the law in many cases because in many areas there seems to be laws for them and laws for us. The police are hesitant to enforce the law because they know they will be accused of being racist.

In Eastern Victoria where I lived and worked for 35 years, they are a major problem. 

I know this sounds racist - but it is a fact.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Sure, there's also the situation of dozens of western style houses being built inplaces like Wilcannia, but with no ongoing support/guidance. Within a couple of years all in very poor repair. 

Wilcannia is an ideal example of the Law Of Unintended Consequences. Or Murphy's Law, if you will.

The 2000 Olympics in Sydney was a big deal for the State Government. They  wanted to avoid any disruption from the large Koori population in Redfern. So they offered very generous incentives to get them to move to Wilcannia.

The bureaucrats who designed the scheme assumed Aboriginals are one big happy family. They are still distinctly tribal. Result when they shifted to Wilcannia was tribal warfare.

I drove through Wilcannia about 7 years ago. There were still bars on the windows and doors of all the houses and shops.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

Whatever. There's been events and attitudes much more recently which are shameful. Do some reading about Queensland (and other states), still to this day incidents of violence against aboriginal teens in custody

Most violence is done within their own communities. You do some reading.

https://theconversation.com/factcheck-qanda-are-indigenous-women-34-80-times-more-likely-than-average-to-experience-violence-61809

Edited by Sparktrader
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Wilcannia is an ideal example of the Law Of Unintended Consequences. Or Murphy's Law, if you will.

The 2000 Olympics in Sydney was a big deal for the State Government. They  wanted to avoid any disruption from the large Koori population in Redfern. So they offered very generous incentives to get them to move to Wilcannia.

The bureaucrats who designed the scheme assumed Aboriginals are one big happy family. They are still distinctly tribal. Result when they shifted to Wilcannia was tribal warfare.

I drove through Wilcannia about 7 years ago. There were still bars on the windows and doors of all the houses and shops.

OMG! The 2000 Olympics. Wasn't John Howard the PM?

How could I have missed that?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Hows real estate there these days.... I heard a million dollars will only purchase a shoebox !!

Varies a lot, you might be able to find a lot cheaper in Tasmania, or far away from capital cities, beaches, etc.

In 1984 I bought my first 3 bedroom home in Melba, a nice Canberra suburb, for 73000. That was less than our combined yearly income.  This place actually, check the asking price.

2 hours ago, G Rex said:

. Many sources report over-representation of Indigenous offenders at all stages of the criminal justice system. As of September 2019, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander prisoners represented 28% of the total adult prisoner population, while accounting for 3.3% of the general population  

Lawlessness is a major issue with the Koories. They are able to flaunt the law in many cases because in many areas there seems to be laws for them and laws for us. The police are hesitant to enforce the law because they know they will be accused of being racist.

In Eastern Victoria where I lived and worked for 35 years, they are a major problem. 

I know this sounds racist - but it is a fact.

And who rounded them up and dumped them at Lake Tyre's? 

The major problem is of course alcohol the root of most of the violence in aboriginal camps and settlements 

Edited by norbra
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, norbra said:

Wow what a red neck. You forgot to mention other delights that the migrants provided, STD, alcoholism cigarettes and of course massacre

As for finding a spot in the outback their previous " hunting grounds" have been overrun by land developers, miners, Forrester's and the list goes on

Well, what do you suggest they do?

Red neck? Lol

They can live in the new and improved Australia, or you can live how they please. 

Up to them.

What's the whinging about?

13 hours ago, 2009 said:

Well, what do you suggest they do?

Red neck? Lol

They can live in the new and improved Australia, or you can live how they please. 

Up to them.

What's the whinging about?

Australia's not improving, it's devolving. thanks in part to the rednecks but also the newcomers. this is why I left the godforsaken part of Sydney that I was living in...

https://www.news.com.au/national/nsw-act/crime/two-women-found-dead-after-shooting-in-southwest-sydney/news-story/d13d6ca80f6a35fea3dca6231095d615

• Like 1

23 hours ago, simple1 said:

an authoritarian State with repressive laws regarding freedom of speech, minimal rights etc.

imho you'll only encounter that sort of stuff here if you go looking for it. or you're poor and can't grease the wheels. or have a chip on your shoulder about "corruption" even though the place you just came from is corrupt as all get out but is hidden to the average Steve-o.

1 hour ago, Lemsta69 said:

Australia's not improving, it's devolving. thanks in part to the rednecks but also the newcomers. this is why I left the godforsaken part of Sydney that I was living in...

https://www.news.com.au/national/nsw-act/crime/two-women-found-dead-after-shooting-in-southwest-sydney/news-story/d13d6ca80f6a35fea3dca6231095d615

Yes, the newcomers are not the same as before.

Before the migrants came to work, now they come for social security payments.

• Like 1

On 8/13/2022 at 12:04 PM, G Rex said:

Australia used to be referred to as ‘The Lucky Country’.

It is a safe, clean diverse country. Plenty to see and do - and the people are generally friendly - especially in the rural areas.

The cost of living is much higher than LOS. This is driven mainly by wages - Aussies don’t mind working, but will not work for a pittance like many Thai.  They value their time a lot higher.

What annoyed me enough to leave Australia is that over the last few decades the country has become a ridiculous Nanny State. We are over policed and over governed. It seems you need a permit or a certificate to do almost anything. This occurred because the Government creates jobs by creating more & more tiers (tears?!) of officialdom.

Australia used to feel like a fun country. Now it has become so politically correct and woke that people are scared of doing or saying the wrong thing.

To me , Thai society feels more fun - like Australia was 50 years ago! 

An Australian I was talking to some years ago would sum up what this post is all about. I certainly would not like to live in Australia the way it is today.

Here in Thailand I have known quite a few Australians over the years and have never met an undesirable one, the same would apply to Americans, pity the same could not be said about a very small minority of European and British people.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

imho you'll only encounter that sort of stuff here if you go looking for it. or you're poor and can't grease the wheels. or have a chip on your shoulder about "corruption" even though the place you just came from is corrupt as all get out but is hidden to the average Steve-o.

Correct, you have to abide by opression of free speech laws in Thailand, As you will know foreigners and Thais have received significant jail sentences for not complying, though foreigners eventually get released after pressure by their Embassy. Again as you know we are not permitted to comment on this matters any further due to the laws. Defamation law in Thailand is also a signifcant contributor to repression of truth and free speech in Thailand.  Corruption in Thailand is endemic, there is no comparison whatsoever to Australia.

Edited by simple1
  • Like 1

On 8/13/2022 at 4:45 PM, Boomer6969 said:

Varies a lot, you might be able to find a lot cheaper in Tasmania, or far away from capital cities, beaches, etc.

In 1984 I bought my first 3 bedroom home in Melba, a nice Canberra suburb, for 73000. That was less than our combined yearly income.  This place actually, check the asking price.

Yeah crazy over there.

I sold my mothers house in 2019 for 800k, it sold again last month for 1.4 with no improvements.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Correct, you have to abide by opression of free speech laws in Thailand, As you will know foreigners and Thais have received significant jail sentences for not complying, though foreigners eventually get released after pressure by their Embassy. Again as you know we are not permitted to comment on this matters any further due to the laws. Defamation law in Thailand is also a signifcant contributor to repression of truth and free speech in Thailand.  Corruption in Thailand is endemic, there is no comparison whatsoever to Australia.

only silly people come a cropper of the lèse-majesté laws here. there's no reason to bring it up unless you've got an axe to grind. 

as for corruption in Australia well I think you should take a closer look at the place. corruption isn't simply the paying of bribes and embezzling of funds. I'd give you examples but the last time I did that the response was "oh that's alright for that ripoff to happen, it's just business" ????

• Like 1