Why Do Australians Come Long-time to Places Like Thailand?

On 8/13/2022 at 10:12 AM, GammaGlobulin said:

Another thing which still surprises me is that some people confuse Austria with Australia, and I was guilty of this when I was younger.

I was very surprised to learn 'The Sound of Music' wasn't based in Australia. And I had never heard a voice like Julie Andrews before so that was no give away either.

42 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

only silly people come a cropper of the lèse-majesté laws here. there's no reason to bring it up unless you've got an axe to grind. 

as for corruption in Australia well I think you should take a closer look at the place. corruption isn't simply the paying of bribes and embezzling of funds. I'd give you examples but the last time I did that the response was "oh that's alright for that ripoff to happen, it's just business" ????

The point is freedom of speech is suspressed by law in Thailand, not so in Australia. Again corruption is endemic in Thailand, not so for Oz. No further reply

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, simple1 said:

The point is freedom of speech is suspressed by law in Thailand, not so in Australia. Again corruption is endemic in Thailand, not so for Oz. No further reply

Lea Majeste laws exist in other countries including  Holland.

Absolute freedom  of speech  exists nowhere including Australia.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

More widespread than you would think. 

"Other counties of note in which it is a criminal offence include the Netherlands, Spain, Morocco, Brunei, Cambodia and Malaysia.

There are also several countries without monarchies that apply lèse-majesté in other ways.

For example…

..in Denmark it’s treated more as libel"

https://www.commisceo-global.com/blog/lese-majeste-cultural-faux-pas-criminal-offence

2 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

More widespread than you would think. 

"Other counties of note in which it is a criminal offence include the Netherlands, Spain, Morocco, Brunei, Cambodia and Malaysia.

There are also several countries without monarchies that apply lèse-majesté in other ways.

For example…

..in Denmark it’s treated more as libel"

https://www.commisceo-global.com/blog/lese-majeste-cultural-faux-pas-criminal-offence

And I would be careful  in Saudi,  Kuwait,  the Emirates etc etc.

Australia  has a miserable  reputation  recently on freedom of  speech on woke issues, feminism and a whole range  of political correct issues.

Australia has really crazy heat, wildfires like only seen in double hockey sticks, and it's pretty expensive in Sydney.  Plus they went crazy over COVID.  History with aborigines isn't great, but par for the course with most other countries.

I'd bet Australia is fine for most.   Pretty, has everything.......  

Thailand has the edge in weirdness, so that's an attraction.  

Maybe Australia just gets boring to some and they want the LOS.

41 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

And I would be careful  in Saudi,  Kuwait,  the Emirates etc etc.

Australia  has a miserable  reputation  recently on freedom of  speech on woke issues, feminism and a whole range  of political correct issues.

Luckily I've no desires to visit those shi**oles.

Political correctness has definitely gone overboard. 

11 hours ago, simple1 said:

Corruption is endemic in Australia as well, it's just not as blatant. Such as the pork-barrelling of electorates, gas being exported without regard to domestic needs, a Prime Minister's Department that was staffed with 90% of people connected to the coal industry.

Freedom of speech is suppressed by people and companies with deep pockets, who will sue those who speak out. It gets very expensive to defend, even if one has truth as a defence.

14 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

OP is comparing Oz to Thailand, not other countries. Again in comparison to Thailand, Oz citizens have a lot greater "freedoms' than Thailand. If people disagree, so be it, but can't be bothered to reply to disputing  blindingly obvious facts.

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Corruption is endemic in Australia as well, it's just not as blatant. Such as the pork-barrelling of electorates, gas being exported without regard to domestic needs, a Prime Minister's Department that was staffed with 90% of people connected to the coal industry.

Freedom of speech is suppressed by people and companies with deep pockets, who will sue those who speak out. It gets very expensive to defend, even if one has truth as a defence.

Disagree, Oz corruption is no comparison whatsoever to Thailand. e.g. in Thailand reaches down to everyone. in their daily life e.g. want a phone line - hand out. Want timesly response for doco from Amphur - hand out, etc etc etc

1 minute ago, simple1 said:

Disagree, Oz corruption is no comparison whatsoever to Thailand. e.g. in Thailand reaches down to everyone. in their daily life e.g. want a phone line - hand out. Want timesly response for doco from Amphur - hand out, etc etc etc

You are partly correct, the small corruption is more common here. I'm more thinking of Eddie Obeid , John Barilaro, or a Treasurer who hands out $40 billion to businesses that don't need it, and declines to get it back. Guess how many company directorships are waiting for him.

17 hours ago, Iamfalang said:

Australia has really crazy heat, wildfires like only seen in double hockey sticks, and it's pretty expensive in Sydney.  Plus they went crazy over COVID.  History with aborigines isn't great, but par for the course with most other countries.

I'd bet Australia is fine for most.   Pretty, has everything.......  

Thailand has the edge in weirdness, so that's an attraction.  

Maybe Australia just gets boring to some and they want the LOS.

Oz is boring. After 5pm nothing except pubs full of pokies.

People go home watch tv and tv is <deleted>.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, simple1 said:

Corruption is good for small things. 100 baht

7 hours ago, Lacessit said:

You are partly correct, the small corruption is more common here. I'm more thinking of Eddie Obeid , John Barilaro, or a Treasurer who hands out $40 billion to businesses that don't need it, and declines to get it back. Guess how many company directorships are waiting for him.

Never understood why the Covid payments ripoff by corporates was not prosecuted - assume some legal loophole. At the very least the likes of Obeid pay the price for their coruption, little accountability in Thailand. Remember the billions of tablets imported by hospital directors being onsold to yaba producers, don't recall even one conviction or the police murdering a 17 year old, convicted, then released to disappear etc etc

Edited by simple1

5 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Never understood why the Covid payments ripoff by corporates was not prosecuted - assume some legal loophole. At the very least the likes of Obeid pay the price for their coruption, little accountability in Thailand. Remember the billions of tablets imported by hospital directors being onsold to yaba producers, don't recall even one conviction or the police murdering a 17 year old, convicted, then released to disappear etc etc

Obeid etc. is the stuff that is visible, who knows how much is sitting below the surface like an iceberg?

I was quite burnt during the GFC from investments in the property sector. There's no other way to put it, company directors were looting the funds of investors, and were allowed to get away with it.

Remember John Hewson? While he was chairman, he approved a loan of $64 million to one of the directors of Elderslie Finance, Peter Alexis George. After the fund collapsed, George and the money disappeared. Hewson was never even questioned by ASIC, and still writes opinion pieces for MSM like the Financial Review.

8 hours ago, simple1 said:

OP is comparing Oz to Thailand, not other countries. Again in comparison to Thailand, Oz citizens have a lot greater "freedoms' than Thailand. If people disagree, so be it, but can't be bothered to reply to disputing  blindingly obvious facts.

Oh I thought freedom  of speech and les majesty were part of the thread too. But if not one reason is that Australia is a joyless, one dimensional nation- grey monotonous  and bland where grown men in tight shorts chasing a pigs bladder encased in leather passes as culture.

The men are dour and taciturn frequently  believing to show any other emotion is effeminate  or gay.

The women did not improve  under the influence  of feminism and became even more strident.

The sense of optimism,  and belief of being the 'Lucky country' so prevalent 40 years ago  has been drained  away by the relentless lies of the woke/ PC/ environmental/ nanny state and feminist lobbies. Freedom of speech  and thought has also been impacted on. So on a person level there  is more fun and freedoms  here for  Australians and other  nationalities especially  men.

• Sad 1

On 8/13/2022 at 12:16 PM, Sparktrader said:

Oz has 26m not 40m poor research

Plus its boring

Yes.  OK. Either poor research, or, I was seeing double.

Anyway, I think the census is off.

In 1989, the population of Australia was about 22 million.

I recall checking this out, in 1989, because I had sent several inquiries to Australian suppliers.

And so, what have the Australians been doing, since 1989?

Surely, they have been procreating...right?

Therefore, why is it that the population census does not show all these new Australian souls added into Australian society.

aa.  By the way, I can recall so clearly just how refreshing it was for me to contact prospective suppliers in Australia, compared to doing the same fore suppliers in NYC or Chicago, or some place like these.

Australians, at least in 1989 were always polite, friendly, and helpful.

I really appreciated this, so much!

I STILL think that Australians are polite, friendly, and helpful, in fact.

bb.  I have heard so much from a few people from Australia concerning how much Australian society has changed, seemingly for the worse.

cc.  I would chalk this up to gradual loss of homogeneity in Australian culture, for whatever reason.

Years ago, Australia was relatively insulated from much of the world (in terms of social mores), and I thought, being the man I am, that this was just great.  I had often wished that I could leave where I had been living and move to Australia.  Sort of a dream of mine.  And, it would still be a dream of mine if I could ONLY emigrate to the land that Australia once was.

dd.  No place is boring, really.  There are always things to do, no matter where one might be.  I would GLADLY leave here and go to Australia, in a heartbeat, if only I could live in the Australia of the 1970s, but with good internet connection to the more modern world.

Australian people are nice.

I enjoy their niceness.

Even today, quite a few people in Australia are nice.

Not sure about those Australians who have left Australia for other places, long-time, because...

I do not know many.

23 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Yes.  OK. Either poor research, or, I was seeing double.

Anyway, I think the census is off.

In 1989, the population of Australia was about 22 million.

I recall checking this out, in 1989, because I had sent several inquiries to Australian suppliers.

And so, what have the Australians been doing, since 1989?

Surely, they have been procreating...right?

Therefore, why is it that the population census does not show all these new Australian souls added into Australian society.

aa.  By the way, I can recall so clearly just how refreshing it was for me to contact prospective suppliers in Australia, compared to doing the same fore suppliers in NYC or Chicago, or some place like these.

Australians, at least in 1989 were always polite, friendly, and helpful.

I really appreciated this, so much!

I STILL think that Australians are polite, friendly, and helpful, in fact.

bb.  I have heard so much from a few people from Australia concerning how much Australian society has changed, seemingly for the worse.

cc.  I would chalk this up to gradual loss of homogeneity in Australian culture, for whatever reason.

Years ago, Australia was relatively insulated from much of the world (in terms of social mores), and I thought, being the man I am, that this was just great.  I had often wished that I could leave where I had been living and move to Australia.  Sort of a dream of mine.  And, it would still be a dream of mine if I could ONLY emigrate to the land that Australia once was.

dd.  No place is boring, really.  There are always things to do, no matter where one might be.  I would GLADLY leave here and go to Australia, in a heartbeat, if only I could live in the Australia of the 1970s, but with good internet connection to the more modern world.

Australian people are nice.

I enjoy their niceness.

Even today, quite a few people in Australia are nice.

Not sure about those Australians who have left Australia for other places, long-time, because...

I do not know many.

Pop was under 20m in 1989, 18m be my guess

19 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Pop was under 20m in 1989, 18m be my guess

Yes, I know what is said on the internet.

However, I tend to disagree.

There is just NO WAY that this population census is accurate, these days.....Only My Humble Opinion.

Australia is a continent, after all.

How could the population on an entire continent be so low.

For example:

image.gif.9ffe389732b4b158d54fd5775cede1ee.gif

Australia/Oceania has a population of 43 million...

SEEEEE?????

This is what I meant  by 40 million.

But, I think this number is tooo low.

Now you know what I was driving at.

I was speaking of the CONTINENT of Australia.

Got it? (Smile)....

20 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Png, Nz and fiji etc are separate countries

But, actually, they are not.

PNG, NZ, and Fiji, etc, all come under the umbrella of territory which is wishfully controlled by Sydney/Camembert.

It's like saying Mexico, Central America, and South America are separate countries.

Even though we know this is not true.

Washington owns everything from Alaska to Chile.

You see what I mean?

Dare we say, even, that Washington owns Australia?

Subs were sold to Australia...yes...recently.

France is <deleted>....recently.

But, whatever Washington decides, goes.

Whatever Lola wants...
Lola gets...

Edited by GammaGlobulin

43 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

You post a lot of weird stuff

It might be weird, but still, it's just weird SCIENCE.

Washington controls North America, South America, the UK, Taiwan, Japan, etc., etc., etc.

Maybe Africa is still up for grabs, but the US will not let China continue to make inroads there, for long.

Please refer to Chomsky's accurate view of our present-day world.

As for me, I wish I had the wanderlust to take off from here and travel to Australia, because I think I might really like it there.

Australian people are nice, for the most part.

Why Australians are leaving Australia, I do not know.

They have an ENTIRE CONTINENT to themselves.

They are so LUCKY.

Many believe Chomsky is weird.

I have read a LOT of Chomsky, over the years.

He is a great scientist, and an international treasure.

He is weird.

But, in many cases...

He is right.

Nobody wants to hear the truth.

Chomsky is always considered nothing but a wet blanket by those who wish to destroy our world.

It will be too late for Mankind when we wake up and realize that Chomsky was......right.

Here is Nim Chimpsky, also a graduate of at least one Ivy League school...

Nim Chimpsky attended Columbia University.

Noam Chomsky attended The University of Pennsylvania for undergrad work, before moving to MIT, I think.

Which is the better school?

Columbia?

Penn?

MIT?

Just ask Nim...maybe.

I go with Nim.

Penn is second to Columbia.

image.jpeg.aab55b73211e4a3acf51143bf4c0ed19.jpeg

Edited by GammaGlobulin

2 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Oh I thought freedom  of speech and les majesty were part of the thread too. But if not one reason is that Australia is a joyless, one dimensional nation- grey monotonous  and bland where grown men in tight shorts chasing a pigs bladder encased in leather passes as culture.

The men are dour and taciturn frequently  believing to show any other emotion is effeminate  or gay.

The women did not improve  under the influence  of feminism and became even more strident.

The sense of optimism,  and belief of being the 'Lucky country' so prevalent 40 years ago  has been drained  away by the relentless lies of the woke/ PC/ environmental/ nanny state and feminist lobbies. Freedom of speech  and thought has also been impacted on. So on a person level there  is more fun and freedoms  here for  Australians and other  nationalities especially  men.

Spot on

Football n cricket

Yawn