Why Do Australians Come Long-time to Places Like Thailand?

It was a question that I had also asked myself. I was told on ASEAN that the cost of living is high and could be the answer for many Australians here in Thailand.

In any case, unfortunately, they do not have a retirement visa because if it were possible I would like to go there at least six months a year.

Your message makes it sound like Australia is utopia (and it's not far off that) and it's compulsory to like/live in/remain in Australia.

All folks have different views/different desires (all sorts of desires) which drive their actions.

Right now quite a few Oz folks are leaving  to live in the old East european countries because of the very high cost of living in Oz. (Example: Check the current and ever increasing cost of electricity, I was back in Oz for a while, returned to LOS 6 months ago. During the time I was there many folks indicated they aren't using their air conditioners in summer (Oz has very hot summers) because they just can't pay the bills it generates.)

Others leave (me) because of very good job/career offers. Which long-term provided me a path to snr. executive management and all asia directorships.

Others leave for LOS (and the Philippines and some to Bali etc.) because they have a strong desire to live in an Asian culture/society. I was transferred to Bkk from a posting in Singapore and very willing to go, I had all my life as a kid asked my parents for books/picture books about Asia.

In Thailand I met a wonderful Thai lady, Dr. of Medicine, plus two med. board certificates and a Ph.D. in Sociology, all gained in Melbourne. She spoke very advanced English with a strong Australian accent. She was a devoted and funny partner, good listener and a good mother (we had one son).

She conducted free clinics 2 or 3 times every month in the NE. Always many people came to her clinics because they got to know that she wanted them to talk and share full details of their ailments and she listened, and to see her young son (my son) from about 9 yrs old listening and carefully preparing their medicines and getting them back into a pick up truck or onto the back of the family mo cy etc., plus to see the farang (me) taking care of getting people seated in the shade with a glass of water and speaking to them politely in Thai / returning their wai.  

And my few farang friends (mostly in in Bkk) always asking her to translate a situation etc., knowing that she would give them focused and insightful explanations etc.

What more do you want? 

(I hasten to add: yes Australia is a great country, there's many plusses indeed.) 

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

Staya's a grouse place to live and Aussie kulcha is great too. glad I grew up there instead of my rainy birth country.

so why did I leave? for me it was simply a matter of Thailand being more exotic and more bang for your buck ????

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Excel said:

Oh dear, what I said in a light hearted manner appears to have brought out the extreme prejudice you have towards the indigenous peoples. Sorry about that.

Who is prejudice?

The aboriginals nowadays who don't like Australia as it is now?

The migrant Aussies who personally did nothing to the aboriginals and don't want to accept blame?

The aboriginals want cash compensation for their history. That's pretty much it, right?

I am just stating facts about how Australia has changed for the better, including for the aboriginals alive today.

Edited by 2009
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I find it rather weird for Australians to complain of a 'nanny state', then decide to move to an authoritarian State with repressive laws regarding freedom of speech, minimal rights etc. I moved to Thailand to retire, but got cancer which I couldn't afford for long term treatment in Thailand and had to return to Oz. My wife and I still have a house in Thailand, when end of live gets close will return to Thailand to be near to her family.

To respond to a member, one can obtain a retrement visa for Australia, but it is costly. Australia is increasingly expensive, especially rental accommodation and daily living costs making Thailand economically attractive if one could afford to self insure. The elderly can be socially isolated in Oz, which can be a motivator, but I would view it as jumping from the frying pan into a fire. 

I live in the Noosa area, which is lovely, take a look...

https://www.visitnoosa.com.au/

Edited by simple1
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Boomer6969 said:

I immigrated in 1981, and indeed, it was Utopia. Anyone willing to get off his butt was immediately sucked into the workforce. Real estate was dirt cheap, education was free, etc.

Hows real estate there these days.... I heard a million dollars will only purchase a shoebox !!

4 minutes ago, simple1 said:

I find it rather weird for Australians to com[lain of a 'naany state', then decide to move to an authoritarian State with repressive laws reagrding freedom of speech etc. I moved to T

Cheap rent.

Cheap booze.

Cheap girls.

Cheap petrol/diesel.

Cheap traffic fines.

Cheap etc.

Cheap etc.

Cheap etc.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Cheap rent.

Cheap booze.

Cheap girls.

Cheap petrol/diesel.

Cheap traffic fines.

Cheap etc.

Cheap etc.

Cheap etc.

Doesn't make up for private medical costs for cancer treatment in Thailand, I suggest 'cheap girls' quickly looses it's appeal if you're of retirement age.

Edited by simple1
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, simple1 said:

Doesn't make up for private medical costs for cancer treatment in Thailand, I suggest 'cheap girls' quickly looses it's appeal if you're of retirement age.

Should come with private health insurance then.

• Sad 1