Download connection is very bad

billd766

I use a 3BB fibre package 1000Mbps download and 100Mbps upload.

I use Opera (+vpn) as my browser.

My download speed seems to be very slow so I rang the 3BB call centre on Thursday evening and reported it and by 10:30am Friday morning the local 3BB team were knocking on my door.

They hooked up their laptop to my router and the download speed was as it should be. We tested my lan cable and their laptop, OK.

We hooked their lan cable to my pc and, fail.

It was worse with the vpn on but that I can understand and accept.

We tried all the combinations once again on my pc using Chrome as the browser, and got the same results.

We were both using Windows 10, mine was the Home edition.

The techie suggested that I take my pc back to the shop and wrote a short note in Thai with his name and mobile number to give to the shop.

My Windows 10 is a legal copy installed when I bought the pc a couple of years ago.

However when I try to update Windows the message reads "Your device is missing important security and quality fixes" and it will not update.

Error code (0x80070422)

I copied that it it tells me to update the windows 10/11 drivers.

Would I be OK in doing that or should I splash out and get Windows 11 Pro?

1 minute ago, KannikaP said:

W11 can be installed on ANY PC. There are many sites telling you how to do it. Allowed by Microsoft.

And if he bypasses the WIN11 requirements by downloading doctored/illegal versions he will be no better off than he is at present!

He has a legal WIN10.  I suggest he solve that first or if not check and then see if the  link says his system is ok!

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=5bdca1fa0eaf96fcJmltdHM9MTY2MDM3ODcxNyZpZ3VpZD0wOTQ4YzBjNS0zMjViLTQ2ZTUtOTc4Ni1lYjdiNzA0MzY2NzgmaW5zaWQ9NTQzOA&ptn=3&hsh=3&fclid=87fafcd5-1ae0-11ed-ad43-4a772fa9784d&u=a1aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cucGFydGl0aW9ud2l6YXJkLmNvbS9wYXJ0aXRpb25tYWdpYy93aW5kb3dzLTEwLXVwZGF0ZS1lcnJvci0weDgwMDcwNDIyLmh0bWw&ntb=1

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, DezLez said:

And if he bypasses the WIN11 requirements by downloading doctored/illegal versions he will be no better off than he is at present!

He has a legal WIN10.  I suggest he solve that first or if not check and then see if the  link says his system is ok!

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=5bdca1fa0eaf96fcJmltdHM9MTY2MDM3ODcxNyZpZ3VpZD0wOTQ4YzBjNS0zMjViLTQ2ZTUtOTc4Ni1lYjdiNzA0MzY2NzgmaW5zaWQ9NTQzOA&ptn=3&hsh=3&fclid=87fafcd5-1ae0-11ed-ad43-4a772fa9784d&u=a1aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cucGFydGl0aW9ud2l6YXJkLmNvbS9wYXJ0aXRpb25tYWdpYy93aW5kb3dzLTEwLXVwZGF0ZS1lcnJvci0weDgwMDcwNDIyLmh0bWw&ntb=1

OK, but I have 2 PCs which do not meet MS requirements on which I did the reg edit and both work and upgrade perfectly

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

OK, but I have 2 PCs which do not meet MS requirements on which I did the reg edit and both work and upgrade perfectly

Until M$ comes with an update and your PC stops working.

But that day may never come but make sure you have a backup plan just in case it does.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Until M$ comes with an update and your PC stops working.

But that day may never come but make sure you have a backup plan just in case it does.

He will get security updates but unlikely to get any major system updates without doing a re-install.  Been there and tried it!

• Like 2

Try to follow this

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-update-troubleshooter-19bc41ca-ad72-ae67-af3c-89ce169755dd

If you get an error code while downloading and installing Windows updates, the Update Troubleshooter can help resolve the problem. 

Select Start  > Settings  > Update & Security   > Troubleshoot > Additional troubleshooters. Next, under Get up and running, select Windows Update > Run the troubleshooter.

When the troubleshooter is finished running, it's a good idea to restart your device.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, DezLez said:

He will get security updates but unlikely to get any major system updates without doing a re-install.  Been there and tried it!

I have done all major updates no problem. If my Windows is registered to my Microsoft account, then all works as it should.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

I have done all major updates no problem. If my Windows is registered to my Microsoft account, then all works as it should.

DezLez seems to laugh at everything I suggest, or tell I have had success with. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

DezLez seems to laugh at everything I suggest, or tell I have had success with. 

Not true!

You have made 7 posts so far on this subject;

I ignored the first and of the remainder I have "laughed" at 3 (including your last pointless post which I am responding to) indicated that 2 posts were "sad" as I believe them to be misleading and confused over one for making no sense!

????

• Sad 1

38 minutes ago, DezLez said:

Not true!

You have made 7 posts so far on this subject;

I ignored the first and of the remainder I have "laughed" at 3 (including your last pointless post which I am responding to) indicated that 2 posts were "sad" as I believe them to be misleading and confused over one for making no sense!

????

OK, you are the expert on Windows. See you didn't laugh at Lacessit who suggested Linux.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Roger That said:

If the laptop is pretty old it could have a 100Mbps ethernet port maybe? Check the link speed in network properties.

It isn't an old laptop, but a 2/3year old Acer All In One desktop.

That could be the problem.

Is this what you are talking about?

Sadly for some reason I cannot do a copy/paste from the page, nor can I even print the page.

Name                                Ethernet 10

Description                       Realtek PCle GbE family Controller #7

Physical Address (MAC)  98:ee:cb:b8:f6:64

Status                               Operational

Maximum transmission   1492

unit  

Link speed (Receive/      100/100 Mbps

Transmit)

It looks as though after doing a Google search this may need upgrading to a 10/100/1000 Mbps module.

The search also threw up this but I think it would come between the 3BB router and the desktop itself.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/fiber-ethernet-media-convertersingle-mode-10100base-tx-to-100base-fx-rj45-to-sc-fiber-transceiver-up-to-25km1-pair-i3921509895-s15088607168.html?exlaz=d_1:mm_150050845_51350205_2010350205::12:17724336665!!!!!c!!15088607168!550678207&gclid=Cj0KCQjwl92XBhC7ARIsAHLl9anB08F7VbinPebTLZRPkM3t-Z9l5u-J3ktjaw1gJds40jGHTfz0X3waAlpHEALw_wcB

3 minutes ago, Roger That said:

In fact, I just noticed that it is listed as Realtek PCle GbE family Controller - GbE means Gigabit Ethernet so it should be capable of 1000Mbps.

Is it connected directly to the router or is something else in between?

That one from Lazada is 494 thb plus 23 thb postage.

My problem is that I have no idea how or where to connect it.

The 3BB tech and I swapped lan cables around between my pc and his laptop but it made no difference. He did leave me his new 1 metre lan cable though.

I had the same problems with windows 10 updates, getting error codes.. Chatted with Microsoft help and they told me to download the Windows Media Creation Tool. Download the tool.

Run it to update your computer. Tell it you want to keep all the files and apps. Let it run it takes a while about 30 minutes in my case.

Solved all the problems I had.

Edited by elfpattaya
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, KannikaP said:

W11 can be installed on ANY PC. There are many sites telling you how to do it. Allowed by Microsoft.

I've heard the same thing.

They we're very stringent hardware and software requirements about 7 months ago.

Supposedly it's easier now. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1