Can someone coming in on a 30 day stamp go to Suvannakhet to get t a retirement visa?

Financial proof would be needed but the 800k baht can be any bank. Or proof of income.

See: https://savannakhet.thaiembassy.org/th/publicservice/non-immigrant-visa-o-visa-retirement-in-thailand?page=5d84a44c15e39c26b400453e&menu=5d84a44c15e39c26b400453f

Apply the morning of one day and pick it up the next afternoon.

He can also apply for a non-o visa at immigration.

See: https://www.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/9.FOR-RETIREMENT-PURPOSES-50-YEARS-OLD-NON-O.pdf

• Like 2

1 minute ago, rak sa_ngop said:

Joe, does this mean you can then apply for a  1 year retirement extension in the normal manner in Thailand within the last 30? days of the 90 day non immig O visa?

Tks

Yes....however the 800k would need to have been in Thai bank account in your name only for 2 months on day of application 

Unless you are in a rush to go to Thailand, I would suggest you do as I am and apply for 90 day non-o immigrant retirement visa in your home country, and then change this to a 1 year retirement visa extension in thailand.

Otherwise, you will need to change the tourist visa to a 90 day non-0 immigrant visa in thailand and then change the 90 day visa to a 1 year extension.

5 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Yes....however the 800k would need to have been in Thai bank account in your name only for 2 months on day of application 

Thank you. If the applicant only wants to stay for 4 months and not show the 800000 Baht would a 90 day tourist visa be an option? 

17 minutes ago, drronnie said:

Thank you. If the applicant only wants to stay for 4 months and not show the 800000 Baht would a 90 day tourist visa be an option? 

By 90 day tourist visa you mean a 60 day tourist visa with a 30 day extension.

If someone only wanted to stay 4 months there are plenty of simple options.

Just couple of examples..

Enter visa exempt and obtain extension and do one border bounce with visa exempt entry. 

Has option to obtain 30 day extension.

OR 

Tourist Visa entry + extension+ border bounce.

So many combos for stays approx 4-5 months.

Longer stays can involve non O . 

Edited by DrJack54

yes, there was a flaw in my application for the 90 day non-o immigrant visa from my home country because I did need to provide proof of insurance which was a major irritant. My goal was to get the 1 year extension asap as I wanted to travel outside of Thailand and meet some friends in other countries. If I was in no particular hurry, I would just get a tourist visa, change it to a 90 day visa extension and then change it to a 1 year visa extension. Also, I already have the 800K in the bank for a significant amount of time.

3 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Can even enter Thailand visa exempt and do the "conversion" to non O. 

And as long as this route is open and you fulfill the financial requirements I would always suggest it.

8 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

And as long as this route is open and you fulfill the financial requirements I would always suggest it.

For me it's a no brainer.

The small catch is for those that do not Thai bank account in place. 

Makes time tight. 

The other thing is that for the non O retirement to be obtained in Thailand the applicant needs show funds came from abroad.

If obtaining the non O outside Thailand that is not a requirement. 

Edited by DrJack54

Is Savannakhet the best location to apply for this non -immig O visa in the region?

What about Vientianne? Or Cambodia and Vietnam?

I recently read a thread that Hanoi (or was it HCMC) was offering non-immig O visas for applicants married to Thai partners, but no mention of non immig O visas for people over 50  intending to retire in Thailand.

7 minutes ago, rak sa_ngop said:

What about Vientiane? Or Cambodia and Vietnam?

Vientiane will issue one for retirement. Cambodia may issue one but not sure about now.

I don't recall any reports of one being done at the consulate in HCMC or the embassy in Hanoi.