UK workers suffer biggest hit to their wages since records began

Scott

53 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

So you don’t understand inflation.

Do you understand that prices  go up and prices can come down, especially when they are being compared at the top of comparatively large spikes.

Is the the Armageddon that George Osborne predicted and prices will soar forever as you would like us to believe?

2 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

You might have noticed the price of oil and gas has gone up recently, it’s been in the news.

…..

Please don’t come back telling us the lockdowns caused the hikes in the price of oil and gas.

So oil is the one and only reason that there is inflation. Amazing.

I have a surprise for you. Oil has been declining in price for the past 2 months,

The reason for inflation is because demand was greater than supply, and why was there a shortage of supply?

Guess what, because factories were closed because of the lockdowns

image.png.a3783b15b70387a489932af9b78baa3b.png

Edited by peterfranks
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, peterfranks said:

So oil is the one and only reason that there is inflation. Amazing.

I have a surprise for you. Oil has been declining in price for the past 2 months,

The reason for inflation is because demand was greater than supply, and why was there a shortage of supply?

Guess what, because factories were closed because of the lockdowns

image.png.a3783b15b70387a489932af9b78baa3b.png

The ONS begs to differ, identifying high food prices as the main contributor:

35 minutes ago, placeholder said:

UK inflation hits 10.1 percent, highest in 40 years

U.K. consumer price inflation hit 10.1 percent in the 12 months to July, jumping from 9.4 percent in June to its highest point since February 1982, according to data released today by the Office for National Statistics (ONS).

High food prices were the main driver of the spike, rising at an annual rate of 12.7 percent in July, up from 9.8 percent in June. According to the ONS, the annual rate of inflation for food and non-alcoholic beverages was last higher in August 2008, during the global financial crisis, when it reached 13.2 percent.

https://www.politico.eu/article/uk-inflation-escalates-to-double-digits-a-new-40-year-high/

I checked other European European countries with fully developed economies. Only Netherlands had a higher inflation rate in July: 10.3% The UK comes in second. France's rate was 6.1%. Germany's was 7.5%.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, James105 said:

Who have proven without doubt their approach was the correct one, as we can see from the financial repercussions being felt from taking the wrong one i.e locking up healthy people who were at next to zero risk from serious illness.   Of course if your goal was to put as many people into abject poverty as possible then you would of course think that Sweden took the wrong approach.   

What makes you think that Sweden took the right approach. Did it perform better economically than its neighbors, Finland and Denmark?

"Sweden’s economic performance has been more or less average, too. Its gross domestic product declined at an annualized real pace of 0.1%, better than most of Europe but worse than Denmark and Finland (and worse than the annualized 0.6% gain for the U.S., which I didn’t include in the chart because Eurostat doesn’t calculate U.S. GDP in constant Euros as it does for non-Euro-using Denmark, Norway and Sweden)."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/so-was-sweden-a-covid-success-or-failure/2021/10/14/fe2747f6-2cb8-11ec-b17d-985c186de338_story.html

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, peterfranks said:

But in your previous post you said it was oil and gas.

So food is now mainly produced from crude, right?

Energy and Food Security: Linkages through Price Volatility
"How do oil prices affect the price of food?
Energy price (oil price) has a significant impact on food prices. Agricultural food prices respond positively to any shock from oil prices. Results show, 64.17% of food price variance is explained by oil price movement. Inflation in oil price is harmful for energy security and threatening food security."

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, placeholder said:
Energy and Food Security: Linkages through Price Volatility
"How do oil prices affect the price of food?
Energy price (oil price) has a significant impact on food prices. Agricultural food prices respond positively to any shock from oil prices. Results show, 64.17% of food price variance is explained by oil price movement. Inflation in oil price is harmful for energy security and threatening food security."

The chart I have posted shows that oil has been declining in price since begin of June, and is actually at the lowest price in the last 6 months.

June was 2 months ago

23 minutes ago, peterfranks said:

But in your previous post you said it was oil and gas.

So food is now mainly produced from crude, right?

You are misquoting me, I gave ‘oil and gas’ by example.

Which I pointed out is, among other things, used in transportation, the production of fertilizers and to power farm machinery (all of which have direct impacts on the cost of food production and food distribution, which are contributors to the cost of food to consumers.

Have you noticed that the members who claimed the lockdowns were the cause of the inflation the Uk is suffering have not been back with any evidence to back their assertions?!

2 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Let me drive a bus through that for you.

1. I have not denied the lockdowns caused inflation, I have asked those who claim they have to back up their claims with evidence.

2. “Inflation is rampant in each and every country in the world, unless you gonna deny that also, and the one and only thing all those countries have in common with the UK is that they had extended periods of lockdown caused by Covid.”

Quite clearly all these nations have many other things in common, by example (you’ll like this):

They all rely on oil and gas to fuel their economies, transport systems, for the production of fertilizers, and to power the machinery of industry and agriculture.

You might have noticed the price of oil and gas has gone up recently, it’s been in the news.

…..

Please don’t come back telling us the lockdowns caused the hikes in the price of oil and gas.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, peterfranks said:

The chart I have posted shows that oil has been declining in price since begin of June, and is actually at the lowest price in the last 6 months.

June was 2 months ago

But everything that was produced prior to the drop in price was subject to higher energy costs.

And the energy costs are still way higher than the same time last year.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Have you noticed that the members who claimed the lockdowns were the cause of the inflation the Uk is suffering have not been back with any evidence to back their assertions?!

Surely I did, and another thing I noticed that you still haven't countered them with any evidence.

Over and out.

• Haha 1

Just now, peterfranks said:

Surely I did, and another thing I noticed that you still haven't countered them with any evidence.

Over and out.

Clearly, having googled the meaning of ‘debating’ you have no idea how it actually works.

You have produced zero evidence that the lockdown has caused inflation.

Unsubstantiated claims to back an unsubstantiated claim is not evidence.

• Like 2

And now for something completely different. You see the word Covid, aka lockdowns, in the title?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-02-16/oil-prices-near-100-as-global-economy-struggles-to-balance-post-covid-crash#xj4y7vzkg

Oil’s Spectacular Covid Crash Set the World Up for $100 Crude

The energy industry cut back during the pandemic, paving the way for a runaway rally that has huge implications for the global economy.

11 minutes ago, peterfranks said:

And now for something completely different. You see the word Covid, aka lockdowns, in the title?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-02-16/oil-prices-near-100-as-global-economy-struggles-to-balance-post-covid-crash#xj4y7vzkg

Oil’s Spectacular Covid Crash Set the World Up for $100 Crude

The energy industry cut back during the pandemic, paving the way for a runaway rally that has huge implications for the global economy.

COVID is not lockdowns, price manipulations are nothing new.

Don’t embarrass yourself with this nonsense.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chomper Higgot said:

COVID is not lockdowns, price manipulations are nothing new.

Don’t embarrass yourself with this nonsense.

OK, there were no lockdowns for 2 years BECAUSE of Covid.

Welcome to my ignore list mate, can't be bothered with your "knowledge" any longer.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, peterfranks said:

OK, there were no lockdowns for 2 years BECAUSE of Covid.

Welcome to my ignore list mate, can't be bothered with your "knowledge" any longer.

There were indeed lockdowns.

However those claiming the lockdowns are the cause of inflation have failed to come back with evidence to back their assertion, and it seems you are have dodged the gaping hole in the assertion too.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

There were indeed lockdowns.

However those claiming the lockdowns are the cause of inflation have failed to come back with evidence to back their assertion, and it seems you are have dodged the gaping hole in the assertion too.

I enabled this post, only to counter your last claim.

I have now provided you with an article from a credible source, that explains how the lockdowns paved the way for the high oil prices, which are the cause of inflation according to yourself.

What else do you want?

5 minutes ago, peterfranks said:

I enabled this post, only to counter your last claim.

I have now provided you with an article from a credible source, that explains how the lockdowns paved the way for the high oil prices, which are the cause of inflation according to yourself.

What else do you want?

Welcome back.

The article you posted does not link lockdowns to inflation.

Though I do note that you have accepted that the price of oil is a root cause of the inflation the UK is suffering.

Perhaps a war has something to go with that?!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

Never has one government created so many problems in such a short period time....

Collapse of the water system

Prices of gas/energy out of control

NHS - in crisis -

No Dentists

Queues at A&E

Trained and skilled workers sent back to EU

Inflation over 10% - inflation is caused by businesses and banking - the wages haven't gone up yet.

Foodbanks serving people who actually have jobs because of low wages

PM having a sulk

WAR IN EUROPE.

This is a government elected on one issue alone "Get Brexit done" - they have no idea how to actually govern

They didn't anticipate any of the consquences

Now they just cover up after cover up and blame Covid

Now the dust is settling they are running out of excuses and things they can blame.

e.g. -Energy price cap in UK is over £4000 by the new year - in France it's 4%

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Thunglom said:

Never has one government created so many problems in such a short period time....

NHS - in crisis -

No Dentists

Queues at A&E

Inflation over 10% - inflation is caused by businesses and banking - the wages haven't gone up yet.

PM having a sulk

WAR IN EUROPE.

This is a government elected on one issue alone "Get Brexit done" - they have no idea how to actually govern

Now the dust is settling they are running out of excuses and things they can blame.

Pretty glum all round and things to get worse, far worse for them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thunglom said:

NHS - in crisis -

No Dentists

Queues at A&E

PM having a sulk

WAR IN EUROPE.

Care homes also facing severe staff shortages. 

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2022/aug/19/overseas-hiring-spree-planned-for-care-homes-in-england-amid-winter-fears?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

• Like 2