Online ad for teacher shocks Thai social media: 6,000 baht a month

webfact

image.jpeg

Daily News Thai Caption: Is it worth it?

Daily News reported that a Facebook page for civil servants advertised a job for teachers at just 6,000 baht a month.

They said it was the latest in a long line of stories over the years where teachers - who have to train for five years before getting a job - were paid less than 10K a month.

Comments were rife with those who agreed with the salary saying it was good work experience and if someone lived economically they could cope with a low salary such as this.

Others pointed out that it was barely enough for food let alone travel to work costs and other daily expenses. 

Details of the post indicated that formal positions could be taken up after 3 years and in reality it referred more to teaching assistants. 

However, ASEAN NOW notes that even teaching assistants can expect to earn more than this in many schools. 

Thailand's monthly minimum wage currently stands at around 10,000 baht according to information widely available online. 

But there is still great disparity between what is paid in places like Bangkok and out in the sticks. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-08-17

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Sad 4

20 hours ago, webfact said:

Comments were rife with those who agreed with the salary saying it was good work experience and if someone lived economically they could cope with a low salary such as this.

Like to see ole Fatty give it a go.

21 hours ago, webfact said:

teachers at just 6,000 baht a month.

Took my step-daughter for an interview.   The principal was more interested in me; (39 years in teaching much of it as Head of Faculty.)  I agreed to work in the school for free if my step-daughter got the job.  Two days later the offer was withdrawn; another candidate had paid 300,000 to the unprincipled principal.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, pacovl46 said:

That's illegal because the minimum wage for university graduates was raised to 15K/month like roughly 10 years ago, unless it's a part time job.

Or for teachers without the right qualifications. This often happens in private schools (though I don't know too many in that boat). Senior civil servant teachers get quite good pay (and a decent retirement pension). 

• Like 1

On 8/18/2022 at 2:52 PM, Gottfrid said:

How are we supposed to take that. I have both my kids in the best private school in the city.

you don't understand English..let me explain its very simple what i wrote so put down your pen and read again

i stated that its sad for children who are taught by teachers who do not have teaching experience ie Low paid for this reason..as stated in the comments more educated teachers as in real diploma not one from koh san road will get higher wages is that to difficult to understand..by the way my 2  kids are in private schools we are lucky aren't we   many others are not ..have a good day  H

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Harveyboy said:

you don't understand English..let me explain its very simple what i wrote so put down your pen and read again

i stated that its sad for children who are taught by teachers who do not have teaching experience ie Low paid for this reason..as stated in the comments more educated teachers as in real diploma not one from koh san road will get higher wages is that to difficult to understand..by the way my 2  kids are in private schools we are lucky aren't we   many others are not ..have a good day  H

Wow! Have you just arrived. What teacher have their diploma from Khao San Road. That´s a tale from the 1980s

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Wow! Have you just arrived. What teacher have their diploma from Khao San Road. That´s a tale from the 1980s

you living under a rock my farang son could have bought on 5 years ago my maths ain't brilliant but that does not make it the 80s let the right people here know what you want...and you get it 

have a nice day sir  

7 minutes ago, Harveyboy said:

you living under a rock my farang son could have bought on 5 years ago my maths ain't brilliant but that does not make it the 80s let the right people here know what you want...and you get it 

have a nice day sir  

The right people are not on Khao San Road, are they? Also, I think the authorities can spoke a fake degree.

3 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

The right people are not on Khao San Road, are they? Also, I think the authorities can spoke a fake degree.

all people can go where they want my son and his friends are young and adventurous.. obviously you are closer to the grave than the cradle  as they say .Who are the right people  obnoxious people like you perhaps go get a life .. authority spots what they don't get money from ..how have you lasted this long here Sir 

On 8/17/2022 at 3:13 PM, CharlieH said:

more like glorified childminders

6,000 for full-time job as a chldminder still barely survival money. 

Many other jobs where limited / zero advanced educational or serious training not needed getting 15,000 a month as a so called minimum.

Also, by Thai law graduates are entitled to 15,000 a month.

Strange... 

11 hours ago, Harveyboy said:

all people can go where they want my son and his friends are young and adventurous.. obviously you are closer to the grave than the cradle  as they say .Who are the right people  obnoxious people like you perhaps go get a life .. authority spots what they don't get money from ..how have you lasted this long here Sir 

Ops! You miss what you start talk about, and you assume an age on me. First, let´s make it clear, that I am 51 years old. So, that was your first assumption that was way wrong. Never said that people can not go where they want. I just said that you do not find a teacher degree in Khao San road, which was that you tried to state. That was you second wrong.

After that, you are asking med who the right people are? But, you must know that, as you started to talk about them in the post I quoted. Please look below as a memory refresher. 

14 hours ago, Harveyboy said:

have a nice day sir  

Moreover, I am not living under a rock. After almost 20 years here. Yeah, believe it or not I manage to last quite long time, right? Also, I have managed to change that rock, to a 6 bedroom house with great garden and pool. Something that also must mean I already have quite a good life. 

I don´t know how many wrong we have reached now, but at least we have established that I last long and have a wonderful life. Also, I must give you one right. You know, the part where I am obnoxious. There you were 100%. Good on you, Harveyboy!

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

6,000 for full-time job as a chldminder still barely survival money. 

Many other jobs where limited / zero advanced educational or serious training not needed getting 15,000 a month as a so called minimum.

Also, by Thai law graduates are entitled to 15,000 a month.

Strange... 

Do you know where that is actually stated ?

My niece graduated and doesnt get 15k.