Foreigners who come to Thailand to smoke marijuana for recreational purposes are strongly discouraged, Public Health Minister says

webfact

1 hour ago, Thailand said:

Ei hought that was exactly the plan to get more quality tourists?

That was and still is the plan I suspect as opposed to thousands of potheads in ill fitting T-shirts who do anything to improve the reputation of the country, quite the reverse.

• Confused 4

11 minutes ago, Denim said:

Meanwhile, alcohol drinking sex tourists always welcome.

If weed tourists could just prove they also drink and indulge in prostitutes maybe they would be more welcome.

Visit the hub of dissipation. Get high , get drunk , get laid then lauded and praised for it.

Perfect recipe to fill the empty coffers.

I was thinking the dope heads would boost a different sector than the boozy, girlie, nightlife..... after all their habit has rendered them incapable of doing it justice. So something where they can lie around and contemplate skies and ceilings....the massage, tattoo and beach-chair vendors might be making a killing. 

• Like 1

"Strongly discouraged".

Is that a legal term?

I can't figure out if he's playing chess or underwater checkers sometimes. He seems to have different messages for different audiences on different days. Obviously no one can press him on his claims.

Even after the Cannabis Control Act is gazetted it may be a few years before we understand what the rules are in practice.

Edited by bamnutsak

6 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

Guys, this is how they roll. When he says that, he doesn’t mean that. It’s the face saving way of saying he wants as many foreigners as possible to come here and have a toke. Folk that have been here a long time would get this. 

And accept that it is illegal and if we decide to clamp down sometimes on smoking in public  and hit you with fines, deportation and blacklistings don't say we didn't warn you.

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

I was surely under the view that Anutin wanted Marijuana Tourism to flourish.........silly me and all of you others who thought this was true.......

Not sure how or why you concluded that. My impression was that Anutin wanted marijuana legalised in Thailand to allow unlimited supplies for medicinal use which by and large would be grown and sold by companies which he either had an interest in or his cronies had in order to maximise his own business stream income at prices which could be controlled. I can't think for one moment he considered that loads of independent growers/suppliers would pop up pushing prices to very low levels and hence having a big impact on his projected income. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, overherebc said:

The bill in for 2nd reading says no more than 15 plants but you must register, be Thai and over 20 years old.

Looks also like no advertising or selling on line allowed, and a lot of restrictions on who can process and sell.

Just read that in the B.P. 

No online sales or advertising along with a host of other measures