Foreigners who come to Thailand to smoke marijuana for recreational purposes are strongly discouraged, Public Health Minister says

webfact

wind blows every direction with these clowns. Weren't they touting the massive increase in tourists due to legal pot. Did they assume the tourists would just sit and watch performers get high like at a tiger zoo?

And in recent days they've been crowing about boost if psychedelic drugs were legalized.

I've been deeply stoned in my youth, but never as nutso as the group in charge here....

2 hours ago, freedomnow said:

Lip service to appease the uptight govt. crowd segment.

Let the smoking in public fines begin - come high season.

Nice little earner front shop, back shop and BiB.

Yep.

We don't mind you smoking, it will come in handy for us when you grab a smoke in public in a place we decided we can go tonight and make a few baht.

1 hour ago, Bruno123 said:

Something for everyone. Just don't go to Thailand to abuse it, make a fool out of yourself and make Thailand look bad, is what I think they are trying to convey.

But we all know that is exactly what they will do, and the Thais will enthusiastically help them...

Huh?  I read the expected revenue from Marijuana tourism as part of the reason!  ???? 

There must be a Thai Minister of Contradictions office where officials get together to work out conflicting public announcements.  I am confused.  Maybe if I indulge in enough Hash cookies ???? it will all make sense ????

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, monkfish said:

Interpret that as you want but for me it does.

Title = Pot-smoking tourists not welcome in Thailand, says health minister
Quote = But those smoking in public risk facing a three-month jail sentence or fines of up to 25,000 baht ($705.82).

Thank you for confirming my interpretation. No smoking in public is what I wrote and no smoking in public is what you have reiterated. You can smoke as much as you want as long as you don't force others to do so. Sensible.

If you are looking to Troll or to get into an argument, you failed.

2 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

But we all know that is exactly what they will do, and the Thais will enthusiastically help them...

If my brothers and sisters get in to trouble, I try to help them....but sometimes they are too far gone.

8 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

Minister Anutin is up to his hips in the new marijuana trade, and will make himself a bundle, but he has built a political career, saying whatever the Big Kahuna wants him to say. That is his job. He will say that today and tomorrow happily sell to low quality tourists who come specifically for the marijuana.

He is not a moron, he is a successful Thai politician & businessman.

One of the biggest farms in Thailand owned by a close relative no doubt... ????

6 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

There are huge vested interests behind this but Anutin is playing  to the gallery to head off the backlash from the anti-legalization lobby which includes Thaksin whose party will probably win the next election. Anutin knows he needs to get into the next government or his sponsors’ cannabis businesses will be wrecked. I am sure they want tourists to smoke as much as they can.

Correct assessment imo

• Like 1

I kind of feel a little sorry for this guy a little bit. I think on this one subject he is correct. All the garbage he came out with about covid, no he was an uninformed fool. But in legalizing marijuana he is correct. Unfortunately in much of the world this plant has been illegal for as long as people can remember. Instead of asking why it was made illegal in the first place some people just assume it must have been for a good reason and buy into all the old reefer madness rubbish.

He was talking to foreign press when he made this statement so no doubt he was concerned about them writing negative stories. Which they probably will anyway because that's what they do.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

Yes indeed, but when these people return to their home country, then possibly a different experience:-

Sniffing dog at the airport

That dog has just finished eating the animals  that the Indian smuggled in ????

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bruno123 said:

Thank you for confirming my interpretation. No smoking in public is what I wrote and no smoking in public is what you have reiterated. You can smoke as much as you want as long as you don't force others to do so. Sensible.

If you are looking to Troll or to get into an argument, you failed.

Yea just because he didn't say smoking in private is Ok doesn't mean it is. The government made it clear from the start that Ganja was being made legal for MEDICAL use ONLY and recreational use was and is still ILLEGAL and smoking it is definitely recreational use. Now don't get me wrong I'm all for it and have a couple of plats myself but just watching how this will all pan out as it's still all very up in the air. Many powerful people have invested in medical Ganja and legislation is causing them to lose a lot of profit. I recommend making the most of whilst you can as I don't think it will last.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/19/2022 at 8:12 AM, bendejo said:

No, this has been rectified: there is no prostitution in the country, the PM said so himself.

So when the pretty lady tells me she wants 1000 baht it is to sit and blow balloons with me.