Prayut’s office is among Thailand’s leading advertising spender during 6-months of 2022

webfact

4 hours ago, Paul Henry said:

Advertising and marketing agencies all over the world are known for their apppreciation of business

put their way. The decision maker is often rewarded handsomely with all sorts of thankyous, generally to the order of 15% of the billing account. Like to know who signs off on the Government advertising.

Probably Prayuth who is the Minister for everything.

10 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

This is probably all paid out from the party coffers or from private political donations. I can't imagine taxpayers' money being used for this.

Since the advertisements are ordered by the government, I very much doubt that they are financed by his party.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, webfact said:

The falling popularity of 2014 coup leader Prayut Chan-o-cha and his mismanagement of the economy over the past few years has prompted the ‘Office of the Prime Minister’ to become one of Thailand’s leading advertisers in the country

Nielsen’s data showed that the office is spending as much as US$57.71 million or close to $10 million each month over the course of this year to drum up support for the premier and the government..

Instead of spending this obscene amount of money on advertising trying to convince people he's doing a good job, why doesn't he spend it ON the people and prove he has some worth?

Its no different to anywhere else, If I remember correctly there was a bit of outrage in the UK when it was revealed that Mp's received an allowance (from public funds) enabling them to employ PR consultants. !

I don't think things here are any worse for the population than anywhere else. its just that the government here don't hide it so well, so   its more overt .   Incompetence and greed seem to be a common theme with all governments and don't forget in the west many have to suffer not only their own governments' failings  but also the incompetence and greed  of the European Union 

13 hours ago, peterfranks said:

Since the advertisements are ordered by the government, I very much doubt that they are financed by his party.

It's beyond my imagination that Prayut and his cronies can just take 58 million baht from the state coffers every month to print fancy posters of themselves.

It is already clear that democracy has been sabotaged and control over government spending is more than inadequate, but such spending, which is actually only election advertising and only serves personal self-interest to burden the taxpayer, is the lowest level of a banana republic.

I'm just amazed that there isn't an uproar among the opposition parties in Parliament over this piracy and misuse of taxpayers' money.

On 8/19/2022 at 9:00 AM, tomacht8 said:

Thailand’s ‘Office of the Prime Minister’ spending as much as US$ 57.71 million or close to US$ 10 million each month...

This is probably all paid out from the party coffers or from private political donations. I can't imagine taxpayers' money being used for this. Otherwise it would be a criminal misuse of taxpayers' money. I also think Thailand will have clear laws on party finance and party advertising.

I also can't imagine that there is such an expenditure item in the state budget that has been approved by parliament.

yes I'm sure this government wouldn't want to break any laws 555 oh my dear aunt

22 hours ago, khunpa said:

Meanwhile there is a waiting list of 9 months to have an MRI scan for cancer patients here in Chiang Mai. 

Let’s see….50 scanners helping people or 50 million wasted on advertising?

Great priorities and so much love for the people!

Not Chiang Mai but Even the toilets in the wards are in disrepair no flush still bucket and bowl, seats broken, drains blocked, ...........

I believe it is common for all governments to pay a PR agency to raise positive awareness of their activities.  In 2020/21 the United Kingdom government spent around 203 million pounds on "communication".

I don't doubt that other nations spend more than $10m (363 million Baht). As the total Thai government budget for 2022-2023 is 3.19 trillion baht it is rather minute.

Whether it is successful or not is a different matter and many would say this government has wasted its money.