Ford's New 3.0 Turbo Diesel

Save the Planet ... ????

Wee bit of overkill.  What the hell you going to do with that.  Just proves big oil & auto makers only care about profits.

Ford made $17 billion last year, with most oil companies racking up record profits with their price gouging.

Everyone talks a good game, but nobody cares; govts, oil/auto industry, customers.  Solving problems is easy, IF YOU TRY.

Stop crying about GW, CG, rising seas, air pollution ...

... Som nam na  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm more interested in the 3.0 V6 twin turbo petrol they've put in the Raptor.

Hoping to get a test drive soon. Haven't seen the V6 on the road yet but I've seen quite a few new model Rangers and they look great with that new square front end.

• Like 1

There is a 9 month wait list for this engine in Rangers in Australia!

Here in LOS - the only option is the 2 litre BiTurbo or single turbo in lower spec Rangers - or 3litre petrol V6 in the Raptor.  I have the 2 litre Raptor, & IMO the new V6 petrol donk is a bit of overkill!

I am not a killjoy (like some other posters here), having owned a 750hp Shelby in Australia before moving here - but the Ranger is a truck, not a sports car!

2 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Hoping to get a test drive soon. Haven't seen the V6 on the road yet but I've seen quite a few new model Rangers and they look great with that new square front end.

That would be nice. Fun too

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, G Rex said:

There is a 9 month wait list for this engine in Rangers in Australia!

Here in LOS - the only option is the 2 litre BiTurbo or single turbo in lower spec Rangers - or 3litre petrol V6 in the Raptor.  I have the 2 litre Raptor, & IMO the new V6 petrol donk is a bit of overkill!

I am not a killjoy (like some other posters here), having owned a 750hp Shelby in Australia before moving here - but the Ranger is a truck, not a sports car!

What's the new 2 litre Diesel like? Relatively smooth?

I'm asking because I recently spent some time in a friend's Nissan Navara diesel (2021 model) and I was shocked by how rough it felt. Not unlike my Kubota tractor. Hence I'm considering the 3.0 petrol as I couldn't spend 5 years driving that.

A colleague had a Diesel Everest (2019 model) and he reckons it was pretty good (quiet and smooth), but unfortunately I never rode in it and he's swapped it for a Camry now.

21 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Spotted a new Raptor in the wild last week.  Didn't know they were available yet.  It has a very striking appearance with bulging arches and wide wheels ..... has a very different 'stance' compared to the standard Ranger.

Not for me - but it looked amazing.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, JonnyF said:

They go great but damn thirsty if driven hard.

19 hours ago, DavisH said:

New videos have been relesed of the v6 raptor being tested in Thailand. 0-100 in about 6.5 secs...Fuel economy is pretty bad though, but anyone buying this vehicle is not likely too car about that. 

Friend is an engineer at the the plant, he had one for two weeks.

Fuel usage was 25lt/100... but he drove it damn hard.... like trying to break it hard.

On 8/19/2022 at 12:16 PM, G Rex said:

The 2.0 BiTurbo is quite civilised, and in Wildtrak form is not too loud or agricultural. I drove a new one last week. The power is acceptable, but won’t frighten the children.  I went stupid with my Raptor - 20” Wide tyres , intake & exhaust mods, Powerchip etc. I put dynamat in doors and under body to keep it quiet, but the tyres are loud…. Which is why I am looking at stepping back into a more ‘standard’ vehicle.

Power chips: A mechanic warned me off power chips. He recommends remapping the ECU instead. I did this on my Wildtrak 3.2. Worked well. Had to replace intercooler tubes in about 1 week. Went with SS. No more problems.

6 hours ago, bang saen guy said:

Power chips: A mechanic warned me off power chips. He recommends remapping the ECU instead. I did this on my Wildtrak 3.2. Worked well. Had to replace intercooler tubes in about 1 week. Went with SS. No more problems.

i have had no negative issues, and have much more oomph than stock , but fuel consumption is 20% higher & I do leave a trail of black smoke if I sink the hoof!! The response  is also better because I installed an ECU shop throttle response modifier. 

13 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Friend is an engineer at the the plant, he had one for two weeks.

Fuel usage was 25lt/100... but he drove it damn hard.... like trying to break it hard.

It's about 8-9km/l at highway speeds according to www.headlightmag.com. I would expect 5-6 km/l in urban areas. So 4km/l driven hard seems reasonable. Acceleration is better (just) than the mustang ecoboost 2.3.