Thai Police considering “sub-law” for limiting number of pickup truck passengers

snoop1130

On 8/19/2022 at 12:18 PM, DezLez said:

What is a "Sub-law"?

Either a law is a law or it is not!

When did any authority, except in dictatorships, have laws passed outside of a duly elected Parliament?

Oops; Sorry  I have just realised where I am!

In the UK it would be called a codice or an appendix. Another simile is the amendments to the US constitution. It is just a name for a paragraph updating the law which I think 'sub law' is very descriptive and accurate

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, RobU said:

In the UK it would be called a codice or an appendix. Another simile is the amendments to the US constitution. It is just a name for a paragraph updating the law which I think 'sub law' is very descriptive and accurate

Disagree.... if one can be prosecuted it is a law. The amendments to the US constitution carry more weight than the original text, particular if it affects it directly. Sub law suggests it is less than a law.... not the case.

5 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Disagree.... if one can be prosecuted it is a law. The amendments to the US constitution carry more weight than the original text, particular if it affects it directly. Sub law suggests it is less than a law.... not the case.

But those amendments were made by the US Government and passed into law.  They were  not issued by the Police!

19 hours ago, Boyn said:

I remember in 2018 they made it illegal to ride in the cargo bed of a pickup and almost immediately back tracked because it was songkran. There is no way the RTP will stop people riding in the back ,mainly cos they are lazy. Mind you if farang were doing it that would be a different story or different payday!

2021-10-29-migrant-worker-arrest-bangkok-provided.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RobU said:

there is such a thing as a "By-Law" which only applies to limited local jurisdictions. It is declared by local government not state government.

• Like 1

There is no need for a sublaw. But, there is a dire need to get police to do their jobs, deal with traffic safety, and show some concern for the well being of the public. Even the highway patrol refuse to patrol the highways, never, ever pull anyone over for reckless driving, and are nearly useless in preventing bad driving, and only seem to appear after an accident happens. 

9 hours ago, jacko45k said:

What I meant by simile was similar but not exact, I get your point about the US Constitution. The sub law is effectively an amendment to the original law providing further clarification these are clauses, appendices or codices. It is simply a name for a set of words which amend or clarify the law sub law is as good as any

On 8/19/2022 at 6:10 PM, snoop1130 said:

The Royal Thai Police is considering issuing a traffic sub-law of no more than three passengers allowed to be sitting in the back seats of a pickup truck and no more than six passengers allowed in a cargo bed.

Which will never be enforced except at roadblocks.

On 8/20/2022 at 2:02 PM, Bday Prang said:

As I remember they talked about this a bout 4 or 5 years ago just before the mass exodus home for songkran, It literally just faded away, Perhaps they realised last minute how many  policemen and other "officials"  drive these vehicles.

There are 6 policemen in the wifes immediate family and several uniformed women who hang out a the Ampur  ( who seem to be incapable of explaining what they actually do )

It may be a coincidence and I've not got round to asking , yet but every one of them has recently upgraded to a new 4 door pick up from a 2 door "cab"      Needless to say my missis wants me to follow suit needless to say she is going to be disappointed , in fact doubly so, because if this law is enforced enthusiastically , the price of 2nd hand 2 door "cab" pick ups will drop like a stone and I might just buy one.  2nd hand oh the shame lol

It sounds the logical conclusion that the price would drop except for your other point about it being enforced enthusiastically.

On 8/19/2022 at 7:23 PM, Bobtheblob said:

They call the 2 door pickups back seats cargo rear,  they don't have seatbels fitted as standard. 

As far as I know the 2 door pickups are limited to 2 people, no one in the backseat. Maybe someone with a 2 door pickup can confirm this by by looking in their Blue Book where it clearly states how many people the vehicle can carry. And this number should apply to people on the truck bed as well.