Is this being racist?

3 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I dislike your woke nonsense. 

This not abuse, it's a comedy show. 

That is just my personal opinion , feel free to laugh at it if you want .

I just don't see the humour in people racially abusing each other .

Like, where is the humour ?

"You Black blah blah blah" 

"You White blah blah blah"

"I'll punch you "

Its racist abuse pretending to be humour , nothing funny about it 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Neeranam said:

All racial terms become derogatory over time. But at the time, it was OK for my gran to say 'golliwog' or 'negro', Thai people to say 'jek' for Chinese people. Both are now not OK, and the words for Indians, 'Kaek' has become derogatory, as has 'farang'.

I am a 'sweaty sock'.  I take no offense to 'fat <deleted>' in Austin Powers or Ewan Mcteagle

Would be be comfortable if you took your mixed race kids back to Scotland and you Gran referred to them as the "golliwogs" ? 

36 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Would be be comfortable if you took your mixed race kids back to Scotland and you Gran referred to them as the "golliwogs" ? 

Isn't that racist calling my kids mixed race?

Why would she call them Golliwogs, they are not black and as I was saying, the terminology used in the 70s is not the same as today. 

• Like 1

This is no direct answer to anybody here. But I thought it's an interesting quote.

"I don’t know that I am not racist. But what I do know is that I am trying very hard not to be."

Jordan Peterson said that (about 46:30) in this video.

I think that is what happens to many of us. We don't think we are racist but maybe other people think we are racist and call us racist. And I think in that way the intention of the person is important. Do I want to be racist when I say something? Or do I say something, and some people (in a certain time period) consider that racist?

On 8/25/2022 at 8:23 PM, Neeranam said:

My daughter was watching a video last week of myself holding a Golliwog when I was young and said they are banned these days. Is this true? 

Still available in the west. 

When my mate sent me the pic i wasn't sure how to reply.

I guess it is being used as a learning aid.

20220826_162446.jpg

• Like 1

On 8/25/2022 at 8:48 PM, BonMot said:

That's the way men behave.

Of course there is no honor in thuggery and brawling but seeing as I had to point it out - it's a lost cause.

That's what keeps the nonsense in check. Not whining and certainly not laws.

Perhaps respect for self and others helps moderate unacceptable behaviours and speech

18 hours ago, TKDfella said:

Well that's okay then. Not what you implied in your comment though '...endearment...' but in your case I don't think it's a racist remark anyway since you wrote that it was what your wife called you. How nice? Yes, 'sticks and stones', 'water off a duck's back' etc. are appropriate. I too learned early because I had thick curly auburn hair when I was young...don't think they were called 'racist' remarks way back then, though.????

You are getting confused My wife has never (as far as I am aware) referred to me as farang kee nook, however if she did she would not mean it literally and I have a sense of humour     

By Auburn hair do you mean ginger ? lol

11 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Simple question ,,,,Can you not tell the difference between light hearted banter and slavery ,

The favored defense of racists is to characterize their hate and vitriol as light hearted banter or free speech. They also complain that the victims get to determine what is hate speech.

• Like 1

Just now, ozimoron said:

The favored defense of racists is to characterize their hate and vitriol as light hearted banter or free speech. They also complain that the victims get to determine what is hate speech.

And a favorite attacking strategy of the woke is to deny the existence of humour and see hate and vitriol everywhere what a grim world they inhabit

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

you haven't answered the simple question

Just now, Bday Prang said:

If you say so   I have several black and asian friends back in the UK and we have no problem laughing at each others idiosyncrasies  likewise with my Thai friends here. No doubt if you overheard us you would be offended and report us to the authorities,  But probably not when they laughed at me for getting my snowflake skin sunburnt and when they joked about being more generously endowed .  That's what people do when having fun with friends its called banter, what a miserable humourless world some people live in

complete failure to understand even what racism is..

38 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Simple question ,,,,Can you not tell the difference between light hearted banter and slavery ,

Well both were before my time but to reference that racist sitcom as lighthearted banter shows we have nothing else to talk about. It’s pure racial blinkered ignorance that in this day and age is unacceptable.

• Like 1

Is everything racist these days?

This isn't racist..racism is when you act negatively towards a person because of their race, saying someone has a big nose so you know where they're from is just making conversation. The question is how this was said, but the way you explained it, it didn't sound like it was made in a derogatory manner, it sounded like he was just making a joke. 

I guess one could say it is a bit unprofessional/inappropriate but it depends on the work environment, what company is it? If co-workers are just talking amongst themselves this is normal conversation, if it was in a meeting or professional setting then it would be of concern. 

• Like 1