Is this being racist?

26 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

So. according to you, gay people who are "woke" which is an attack word that can't really be defined because it isn't a real thing, just a cynical political tactic by far right wing people trying to rationalize bigotry and discrimination,

what do you mean 'woke' isn't a real word or means anything? Why make it political, it's not?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

I am not qualified to teach you the subtleties of the English language you are the "teacher" work it out for your self , if you can

So now you think all foreign teachers are qualified to teach English, this just gets better….lol, I am qualified to teach science by the way.

• Haha 1

Just now, Neeranam said:

Do you think I have the unconscious racism the wokes talk about?

No, I personally think that you did it deliberately .

I don't think that it was unconscious at all : *We cant call them golliwogs anymore, but we should be able to call a spade a spade*

But, if you say you didn't mean it that way and it was just a coincidence that you used a racist term ...........................

1 minute ago, coolcarer said:

So now you think all foreign teachers are qualified to teach English, this just gets better….lol, I am qualified to teach science by the way.

No i do not think all foreign teachers are qualified to teach English at all , quite the opposite actually,  and I have never said that,

I am also fully aware  of what you teach.  My reply was quite straight forward and I will repeat it for you :-

I am not qualified to teach you the subtleties of the English language you are a teacher work it out for yourself if you can.

You don't need to be an English teacher to do that , any native speaker with a secondary education should be able spot your grammatical inconsistency 

1 minute ago, Bday Prang said:

No i do not think all foreign teachers are qualified to teach English at all , quite the opposite actually,  and I have never said that,

I am also fully aware  of what you teach.  My reply was quite straight forward and I will repeat it for you :-

I am not qualified to teach you the subtleties of the English language you are a teacher work it out for yourself if you can.

You don't need to be an English teacher to do that , any native speaker with a secondary education should be able spot your grammatical inconsistency 

Ok grammar police so where is the grammatical inconsistency in the post I made?

”You presume a lot but are your assumptions right?”

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

I quite like that word  but I doubt it would be considered appropriate by woke western standards  "half child" implying that the child in question is only 1/2 the value of a full Thai kid even though in reality it is not generally considered to be a disadvantage especially in the media where their lighter skin tone is considered an  attractive quality  " for some reason"

Some mixed race British people said they didn't like being refereed as "half-caste" at School because it made them feel like half a person .

So the word wasn't used anymore .

Why would anyone have a problem with the word "half caste" not being used any more ?

19 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Do you think I have the unconscious racism the wokes talk about?

I think we all have lol,,,,,oh by the way I would value your input    I said in a previous post that the phrase  "look kreung" is not generally used as a derogatory remark by Thais,  that's based on discussions I have had with friends and family, but some non Thais  on here would disagree just wondered what your take on it is?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Some mixed race British people said they didn't like being refereed as "half-caste" at School because it made them feel like half a person .

Why would anyone have a problem with the word "half caste" not being used any more ?

I don't know I am completely ambiguous as to whether the word is used or not ,could not care less ,its not a word I use generally, but I imagine some still do Those that consciously don't use it for woke reasons probably "think" it  first as its an established way of saying mixed race  then instead of actually saying it they they utter a different word  

That's generally how things work , a bit like when they censor words like  f++king h*ll to avoid causing offence if you get my drift

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I often tell foreign fathers here to stop saying their kids are half Thai half Scottish/English etc.  They are full Thai/Scottish dual  citizens. 

2 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I often tell foreign fathers here to stop saying their kids are half Thai half Scottish/English etc.  They are full Thai/Scottish dual  citizens. 

I get what you mean but i don't think its evidence of my motherinlaws malicious  racist nature for example

10 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I agree with that, my daughter here in Thailand is British/Thai however the term referred to, "luk-krueng" for want of a better word, is not as far as I'm aware derogatory, not according to this thread anyway:

https://aseannow.com/topic/746771-what-do-thai-people-think-about-luk-kreung/

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

I agree with that, my daughter here in Thailand is British/Thai however the term referred to, "luk-krueng" for want of a better word, is not as far as I'm aware derogatory, not according to this thread anyway:

https://aseannow.com/topic/746771-what-do-thai-people-think-about-luk-kreung/

Of course its not derogatory...it is commonly used in daily speech.

31 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

I think we all have lol,,,,,oh by the way I would value your input    I said in a previous post that the phrase  "look kreung" is not generally used as a derogatory remark by Thais,  that's based on discussions I have had with friends and family, but some non Thais  on here would disagree just wondered what your take on it is?

There is quite a bit of difference between mixed race kids in Thailand and mixed raced kids in the U.K .

Western  Immigrants to Thailand  haven't suffered the same kind of racism and abuse and discrimination that Africans received when they moved to the U.K in the 1960s and 70's and 80's

2 minutes ago, thainet said:

Of course its not derogatory...it is commonly used in daily speech.

I would say that depends on the circumstance and I am sure there can be context around it where it is used in a derogatory manner but generally I don't think it is. Not sure its used on a daily basis either, never heard my Thai wife or any of her friends say it despite most of them having children to foreign husbands

17 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Like all words based on race, there will be some that take offense. 

It is not a derogatory term but I've heard it used in a derogatory way a couple of times. I'd say probably the same as half caste 40 years ago in the UK.

Same as the word 'kaek' for Indians, when used with an ultra low tone, it is derogatory. 

50 years ago, the word jek was used for Chinese people, but it has become offensive. I guess it is up to the people involved to say if it is offensive or not. Similar to the 'negro' in the USA. I've used 'jek' to some Chinese/Thai people as they are often the most racist to farang here.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

It shouldn't be but only people from one side of politics ever use it. Period.

What does period mean? Is it like saying you think you are right and are not going to debate?

I assume you are talking about the US of A which is highly polarized. 

• Like 1

Just now, Neeranam said:

What does period mean? Is it like saying you think you are right and are not going to debate?

I assume you are talking about the US of A which is highly polarized. 

Period means lefties NEVER use the word to describe anybody.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Neeranam said:

That's why I call them supremacists. Horrible to think you are better than an opposing opposing party supporters. They have ruined the USA.

Who has ruined the USA exactly? I don't think I mentioned opposing party supporters in my post.

4 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

No, for lefties, wokeness is normal human behaviour. Lack of woke awareness is racist and social ignorance.

So are you trying to tell us that the word "woke" was originally coined by the non woke and used as an insult, that is absolute rubbish .  The lefties in the UK consider themselves "woke" but many have been caught out with there anti semitic views !