Is this being racist?

5 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

That may have been the intention of sit-coms , but unfortunately it went over many peoples heads and the actors became heros to racists and they missed the message and concentrated on calling non White racially abusive names 

It still seems to be going over the heads of people, even the "more sophisticated and better educated"  people of today as another post described them

8 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

That may have been the intention of sit-coms , but unfortunately it went over many peoples heads and the actors became heros to racists and they missed the message and concentrated on calling non White racially abusive names 

Do you genuinely believe that "eddie booth" became a hero to racists. ?    come on be serious 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

The essence of this sit com has been explained in a previous post that you obviously have either not read or have chosen to ignore. In every episode the The "racist" character was portrayed as a small minded bigot  whilst there were a few insults bandied about they black guy always  gave as good as he got and each episode ended with the white guy looking a fool.

If ever there was an anti-racist sit com it was this  There may well have been a few  insults exchanged "nig nog" from one side countered by snowflake or honky by the other for example but to cite this show as some sort of call to arms for racists is just pure fantasy 

Every episode had at its centre the underlying moral that racists were nothing more than small minded bigots it wasn't hidden away like the clues in a cryptic crossword and one didn't have to look very hard . The target audience of working class British people had no difficulty in gasping  this and  neither did I or my 12 year old school mates  some of which were black.

Anybody who does have difficulty in grasping this simple concept has either never watched the show with an open mind or turned off the tv in righteous outrage  at the first utterance  of an expletive that offended their sensitivities

If it was as racist as you claim , how on earth were the black actors persuaded to appear in it do you think they were pressganged ?  Or were they  themselves prepared to further the cause of racism just for a wage ?  Or just maybe they too saw it for what it actually was.  The portrayal of a racist bigot who's views caused him to fall out with his friends and look stupid

That was then and this is now which is my whole point. It is unacceptable now as we know that people are offended by it including people of colour.

4 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Isn't the whole show racist regarding the Irish and an offensive portrayal of their religion?  should it be banned?

There's no laws against ridiculing a religion, at least not in the UK.

Edited by ozimoron

14 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

No, could you explain? I wouldn't have used it if I'd thought that. You do understand that the word "moron" is not related to my user name etymologically?

maybe you need to keep up with modern trends,  moron ,cretin , halfwit, tec etc are all considered in appropriate these days so i am told   I think the modern day adjective is  "Learning difficulties"  or "challenged" in one way or the other I'm sure somebody on here will confirm this either way I am now offended,     

Doesn't that sound ridiculous ?   come on be honest

Just now, Bday Prang said:

maybe you need to keep up with modern trends,  moron ,cretin , halfwit, tec etc are all considered in appropriate these days so i am told   I think the modern day adjective is  "Learning difficulties"  or "challenged" in one way or the other I'm sure somebody on here will confirm this either way I am now offended,     

Doesn't that sound ridiculous ?   come on be honest

Can you tell me what English word my user name is derived from and then explain how that relates to the word "moron", other than the spelling of part of it?

Adamant was neither a person nor an ant.

2 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

There's no laws against ridiculing a religion, at least not in the UK.

Try it with Islam and see what happens   didn't do salman rushdie much good  the "law" is often the least of ones worries

Can you tell me what English word my user name is derived from and then explain how that relates to the word "moron", other than the spelling of part of it?

Adamant was neither a person nor an ant.

I have no Idea what your user name is derived from the fact that it contains the word moron will undoubtedly offend somebody somewhere.  In the same way blackboard was alleged to be offensive just for containing the word "black"

if my user name was "brit-spastic" I doubt i would be allowed to use it for long

3 hours ago, Neeranam said:

What about 'look kreung'? This is the Thai word for 'half-caste' and still used. 

I quite like that word  but I doubt it would be considered appropriate by woke western standards  "half child" implying that the child in question is only 1/2 the value of a full Thai kid even though in reality it is not generally considered to be a disadvantage especially in the media where their lighter skin tone is considered an  attractive quality  " for some reason"

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, coolcarer said:

What race are the Irish?

No idea  celtic would be my guess I'm sure you will tell me when you've looked it up, Either way Irish jokes are considered out of order by some  but not normally by the Irish themselves 

2 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

I quite like that word  but I doubt it would be considered appropriate by woke western standards  "half child" implying that the child in question is only 1/2 the value of a full Thai kid even though in reality it is not generally considered to be a disadvantage especially in the media where their lighter skin tone is considered an  attractive quality  " for some reason"

In Thai, the combination of words can't necessarily be broken down to derive meaning. The word really means half caste and is just as derogatory in Thailand as it's counterpart is in the west. It certainly doesn't mean "half child".

13 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

The writers of that show (Two Irish guyys) were in a Alan Partridge episode 

A perfect example of people being able to laugh at them selves and inviting others to do the same   what's the problem?

6 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

No idea  celtic would be my guess I'm sure you will tell me when you've looked it up, Either way Irish jokes are considered out of order by some  but not normally by the Irish themselves 

Before saying Father Ted is racist against the Irish I suggest you look up what racism is, I’m not here to teach you.

In Thai, the combination of words can't necessarily be broken down to derive meaning. The word really means half caste and is just as derogatory in Thailand as it's counterpart is in the west. It certainly doesn't mean "half child".

Thank you for the lesson in Thai, But i think you are about as wrong as you can be  I have never met a Thai or a look khreung that considers it a derogatory term , Maybe all my thai friends and family  are indeed rascist  If You could tell me what the polite Thai word is for a mixed race kid I will educate them accordingly 

20 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

I have worked in the construction industry for over 40 years I have personally known and worked with hundreds if not thousands of Irish men I have never once met one who was upset in anyway regarding Irish jokes. I have been told many many irish jokes by Irish people they have a brilliant sense of humour the article that your link leads to is just not true in my experience.

They do tend to get a bit upset if they are referred to as  "paddy" but that is only the guys from northern Ireland "Ulstermen" who consider themselves to be english  

Edited by Bday Prang

8 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Thank you for the lesson in Thai, But i think you are about as wrong as you can be  I have never met a Thai or a look khreung that considers it a derogatory term , Maybe all my thai friends and family  are indeed rascist  If You could tell me what the polite Thai word is for a mixed race kid I will educate them accordingly 

The term was often used in a derogatory fashion after world war two. That connotation has faded but it would be wrong to say it's disappeared. Any term which brings attention to race in a negative way is racist. The right approach is not to reference the mixed race aspect at all except as necessary by a doctor or something. For example, Thais don't get skin cancer much. A half caste kid might.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

You are getting confused My wife has never (as far as I am aware) referred to me as farang kee nook, however if she did she would not mean it literally and I have a sense of humour     

By Auburn hair do you mean ginger ? lol

My apologies, I did misinterpret your post. No, not ginger hair. Ginger is most definitely reddish while Auburn is darker and more toward Brown.

10 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

In the same way blackboard was alleged to be offensive just for containing the word "black"

if my user name was "brit-spastic" I doubt i would be allowed to use it for long

Blackboard  is not offensive and no one has a problem with it and the word Black isn't offensive either .

Some people are upset because they cannot racially abuse Black people anymore and equate that non existent things like Blackboard being offensive, whereas no one is upset or offended by the term  

The term was often used in a derogatory fashion after world war two. Any term which brings attention to race in a negative way is racist. The right approach is not to reference the mixed race aspect at all except as necessary by a doctor or something. For example, Thais don't get skin cancer much. A half caste kid might.

Have you tried recently calling an ozi blackfella a halfcaste? Just saying... 

15 minutes ago, coolcarer said:

Before saying Father Ted is racist against the Irish I suggest you look up what racism is, I’m not here to teach you.

I did not say it was , I asked if it was ,  the clue would be the question mark,     So you are certainly not qualified to teach me or anybody else  English,

What makes you think you are qualified to teach me anything  else      "sir" 

5 minutes ago, Olmate said:

Of course not, it's unacceptable in any country. I used the term to illustrate the only possible circumstance (in my opinion) where the use of the term might be appropriate.

14 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Have you ever seen half felang kids in Thai schools getting abused because they are different ?

I am talking about village schools where there's just one half felang kid in the whole School .

Where the kid refuses to speak English because the other kids ridicule him for it .

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Olmate said:

Never met an Australian black guy   but if he was black he wouldn't be half caste  would he?    just askin