Is this being racist?

4 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Just stop for a minute and think how "offensive" that could be to person or persons unknown 

Do you believe that *minorities* exercise such self-censoring? I sure do not.

In fact, white people seem to be the brunt of public insults and even in US active legislation against them. You can thank the Karen's, gays and another historically unpatriotic minority funding this vitriol.

I'm gone and not to return.

1 minute ago, varun said:

What are you, some kind of crusader? What gives you the right to give him a "verbal warning"?

Firstly, are you his line manager / does he report to you? 

Secondly, if a complaint is indeed to be made, it should be made to HR / his line manager.

Thirdly, you'll have a hard time proving that any questionable behavior actually took place - there is no documented proof.

It was just a harmless quip at work that you have obviously taken out of proportion.

In summary, mind your own business.

Also as has been mentioned on this thread there has been no Thai  law broken , if this is the case  any disciplinary action is indeed inappropriate and would be over ruled in a tribunal.  He can't be sacked for offending the op's sensitivities

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

hahaha try it and see what happens  we cannot accept racism when directed at cows,,,ever 

Not everything is black and white .     Hmmm   but some cows are  

Lakenvelder cow and calf grazing

LIKE MOTHER LIKE SON !

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Are only the victims permitted to complain about racism?

Of course not any wokie can be offended on behalf of somebody else it doesn't matter if the other person is offended or not As long as the wokie has perceived offense even were non exists  then he is good to go.  

As I mentioned before , if somebody had overheard a bit of banter between me and a black friend and considered it racist they could report me , even if my friend asked them not to .  The police  would also wish to speak to my friend to establish if he was offended and even if he convinced them that he was not they would proceed to question me to establish "what I was thinking "   oh yes thought police do exist

• Sad 1

33 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Are you the oracle on what Thais regard as racist? Thais share exactly the same values as everyone else on the planet. "Woke" is not a western concept.

In fact, Thais tend to be more woke than westerners, displaying a lot less animosity towards transgenders than in the west.

And Thai transgenders spend a lot less time whinging and crying about what pronouns have been used to refer to them they are generally more content and balanced than their western drama queen victim counterparts. 

3 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

And Thai transgenders spend a lot less time whinging and crying about what pronouns have been used to refer to them they are generally more content and balanced than their western drama queen victim counterparts. 

I have no clue what Thai transgenders feel but I suspect you don't either.

12 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Of course not any wokie can be offended on behalf of somebody else it doesn't matter if the other person is offended or not As long as the wokie has perceived offense even were non exists  then he is good to go.  

As I mentioned before , if somebody had overheard a bit of banter between me and a black friend and considered it racist they could report me , even if my friend asked them not to .  The police  would also wish to speak to my friend to establish if he was offended and even if he convinced them that he was not they would proceed to question me to establish "what I was thinking "   oh yes thought police do exist

Can a white person complain about public racist comments made by another white person or are they just being offended on behalf of someone else and therefore should be cancelled?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, ozimoron said:

A racist joke is a racism, wherever it is and no company will tolerate it on their premises or by anyone representing them.

If you think that applies to Thai companies employing Cambodians for example   or  to Chinese companies employing non chinese you are very mistaken

10 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Can a white person complain about public racist comments made by another white person or are they just being offended on behalf of someone else and therefore should be cancelled?

People need to get over themselves    Oh dear somebody was "offended"  what a pity , never mind,     

What does being "offended" actually mean ? in real terms   feeling a bit "hurt"  just about sums it up .  its not exactly the end of the world,  just count to 10 the feeling soon disappears  "least said soonest mended " as my mother used to say

Some people really enjoy playing the victim

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ozimoron said:

Are you the oracle on what Thais regard as racist? Thais share exactly the same values as everyone else on the planet. "Woke" is not a western concept.

In fact, Thais tend to be more woke than westerners, displaying a lot less animosity towards transgenders than in the west.

I'm sure he knows a lot more than you on the subject

54 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

If you think that applies to Thai companies employing Cambodians for example   or  to Chinese companies employing non chinese you are very mistaken

Exploiting workers in and of itself isn't racism. There sems to be a lack of understanding of fundamental concepts here.

2 hours ago, ozimoron said:

There's no humor in racism.

There is though in terms of the situation rather than in the targeting or humiliation  of an individual by a racist joke. 

In reality we are all a little bit racist and everything -ist when it comes to those who are different, or perceived to be different, from us. We are all learning, become frustrated by others, sometimes justified sometimes not. 

I bet you have thoughts that are -ist against a range of types of people that are different. Maybe you are prejudiced against people of a particular political persuasion. A bit.

The humour is in two different people finding common ground and coming to terms with differences. Because there is likely to be common ground. There is also likely to be ongoing differences based on race, sexuality, whatever. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

Thais can call a spade a spade, 

image.jpeg.c17889a30b1ae020502a2e80014ebd76.jpeg

You can also say Black cock in the Western World

The reason why cock isn't used is because its a Western term for a penis

Black cock isn't used in the West, not because its racist , its because cock means penis .

I also noticed that you used the term "Spade"  , which is a racially derogatory term used for Black people 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

There is though in terms of the situation rather than in the targeting or humiliation  of an individual by a racist joke. 

In reality we are all a little bit racist and everything -ist when it comes to those who are different, or perceived to be different, from us. We are all learning, become frustrated by others, sometimes justified sometimes not. 

I bet you have thoughts that are -ist against a range of types of people that are different. Maybe you are prejudiced against people of a particular political persuasion. A bit.

The humour is in two different people finding common ground and coming to terms with differences. Because there is likely to be common ground. There is also likely to be ongoing differences based on race, sexuality, whatever. 

Like most people I was brought up a product of my peers and their prejudices. By age 17 I was decidedly anti-racist. Where I came from has the highest indigenous population in Australia and the white population was and still is quite racist. I started travelling at an early age and can honestly say I have never had a shred of a racist attitude toward any race or nationality. I briefly studied sociology and anthropology at uni because I was interested in the curriculum until I realised there was no money in it as a career. Am I prejudiced against far right wingers, you bet, like all extremists. That said, there are far more right wing extremists than left. The domestic terrorism stats in any country support this conclusion in my mind. I'm very much a data driven type of person.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

I noted in an earlier post that you asked if people referring to your kids as mixed race were being racist,?  well according to english law and at least one member on here, if you, or indeed anybody else that happened to overhear the remark,percieve it to be racist then it must be and you are almost obliged to take legal action if not for yourself then for the benefit of the offendee and society as a whole

You seem to have misunderstood what the U.K law says .

An offence needs to have been committed first 

The law needs to have been broken first .

Once its been established that a law has been broken, its then connections with racism can be made  .

Saying "Black sheep" is not an offence under U.K law , so you couldn't call the Police or take legal action if you heard someone say Black Sheep .

You seem to be acting like a drama queen and over reacting by suggesting saying Black Sheep is an illegal word to use 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

And a favorite attacking strategy of the woke is to deny the existence of humour and see hate and vitriol everywhere what a grim world they inhabit

Some people just want to continue racially abusing non Whites , calling Black people Spades and Golliwogs and N , and they hide their racial abuse behind humour .

Racial abuse is no longer acceptable in the U.K 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, coolcarer said:

Well both were before my time but to reference that racist sitcom as lighthearted banter shows we have nothing else to talk about. It’s pure racial blinkered ignorance that in this day and age is unacceptable.

The essence of this sit com has been explained in a previous post that you obviously have either not read or have chosen to ignore. In every episode the The "racist" character was portrayed as a small minded bigot  whilst there were a few insults bandied about they black guy always  gave as good as he got and each episode ended with the white guy looking a fool.

If ever there was an anti-racist sit com it was this  There may well have been a few  insults exchanged "nig nog" from one side countered by snowflake or honky by the other for example but to cite this show as some sort of call to arms for racists is just pure fantasy 

Every episode had at its centre the underlying moral that racists were nothing more than small minded bigots it wasn't hidden away like the clues in a cryptic crossword and one didn't have to look very hard . The target audience of working class British people had no difficulty in gasping  this and  neither did I or my 12 year old school mates  some of which were black.

Anybody who does have difficulty in grasping this simple concept has either never watched the show with an open mind or turned off the tv in righteous outrage  at the first utterance  of an expletive that offended their sensitivities

If it was as racist as you claim , how on earth were the black actors persuaded to appear in it do you think they were pressganged ?  Or were they  themselves prepared to further the cause of racism just for a wage ?  Or just maybe they too saw it for what it actually was.  The portrayal of a racist bigot who's views caused him to fall out with his friends and look stupid

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

If you say so   I have several black and asian friends back in the UK and we have no problem laughing at each others idiosyncrasies  likewise with my Thai friends here. No doubt if you overheard us you would be offended and report us to the authorities,  But probably not when they laughed at me for getting my snowflake skin sunburnt and when they joked about being more generously endowed .  That's what people do when having fun with friends its called banter, what a miserable humourless world some people live in

Stop Drama queening 

No ones going to get offended or call the authorities if they over hear your private conversations . Do continue laughing with your Asian friends and your Black friends about each others penis size , and continue having your fun .

No one would get offended by language used , but authorities may get called if there any mass indecent exposure  

49 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Exploiting workers in and of itself isn't racism. There sems to be a lack of understanding of fundamental concepts here.

I did not mention exploitation I was referring to racism,  there seems to be a lack of understanding of the fundamental concept of my post combined with a fundamental ignorance regarding Thai and Chinese attitudes to foreigners   You stated in a previous post that you have no knowledge of the Thai language It is therefore quite likely you are lacking knowledge of Thais in general 

8 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

The essence of this sit com has been explained in a previous post that you obviously have either not read or have chosen to ignore. In every episode the The "racist" character was portrayed as a small minded bigot  whilst there were a few insults bandied about they black guy always  gave as good as he got and each episode ended with the white guy looking a fool.

If ever there was an anti-racist sit com it was this  There may well have been a few  insults exchanged "nig nog" from one side countered by snowflake or honky by the other for example but to cite this show as some sort of call to arms for racists is just pure fantasy 

Every episode had at its centre the underlying moral that racists were nothing more than small minded bigots it wasn't hidden away like the clues in a cryptic crossword and one didn't have to look very hard . The target audience of working class British people had no difficulty in gasping  this and  neither did I or my 12 year old school mates  some of which were black.

Anybody who does have difficulty in grasping this simple concept has either never watched the show with an open mind or turned off the tv in righteous outrage  at the first utterance  of an expletive that offended their sensitivities

If it was as racist as you claim , how on earth were the black actors persuaded to appear in it do you think they were pressganged ?  Or were they  themselves prepared to further the cause of racism just for a wage ?  Or just maybe they too saw it for what it actually was.  The portrayal of a racist bigot who's views caused him to fall out with his friends and look stupid

That's true. The sitcom was an early attempt to break down the racist barriers by portraying the blacks as just like whites. And they made the racists look like idiots. It, however, quite crude and employed every stereotypical joke in the book which is why it's now considered inappropriate for a more sophisticated and better educated audience, not to mention much greater numbers of people at the target end of the skits.

1 minute ago, Bday Prang said:

I did not mention exploitation I was referring to racism,  there seems to be a lack of understanding of the fundamental concept of my post combined with a fundamental ignorance regarding Thai and Chinese attitudes to foreigners   You stated in a previous post that you have no knowledge of the Thai language It is therefore quite likely you are lacking knowledge of Thais in general 

I'm not sure where I said I had no knowledge of the Thai language. I've been able to speak and read Thai for 40 years.

Every country has it's bigots and racists. Thais are no different to any other nation in this respect. It is wrong to characterise Thais as racists in general. That itself is racist stereotyping.

36 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Like most people I was brought up a product of my peers and their prejudices. By age 17 I was decidedly anti-racist. Where I came from has the highest indigenous population in Australia and the white population was and still is quite racist. I started travelling at an early age and can honestly say I have never had a shred of a racist attitude toward any race or nationality. I briefly studied sociology and anthropology at uni because I was interested in the curriculum until I realised there was no money in it as a career. Am I prejudiced against far right wingers, you bet, like all extremists. That said, there are far more right wing extremists than left. The domestic terrorism stats in any country support this conclusion in my mind. I'm very much a data driven type of person.

"i briefly studied sociology"  nothing more need be said

10 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

That's true. The sitcom was an early attempt to break down the racist barriers by portraying the blacks as just like whites. And they made the racists look like idiots. It, however, quite crude and employed every stereotypical joke in the book which is why it's now considered inappropriate for a more sophisticated and better educated audience, not to mention much greater numbers of people at the target end of the skits.

3 hours ago, coolcarer said:

Well both were before my time but to reference that racist sitcom as lighthearted banter shows we have nothing else to talk about. It’s pure racial blinkered ignorance that in this day and age is unacceptable.

oh dear the wokies can't agree on the true nature of a lighthearted tv sit com  Personally I would not consider a modern day audience more sophisticated or better educated.  And to say there are more people at the target end of the skits is just not true as both characters were the butt of jokes. Unless you mean there are just more people alive today which is not disputed

Whilst I'm at it I have to say that use of the word "moron" in your username may well offend some people, have you considered that ?

1 minute ago, Bday Prang said:

oh dear the wokies can't agree on the true nature of a lighthearted tv sit com  Personally I would not consider a modern day audience more sophisticated or better educated.  And to say there are more people at the target end of the skits is just not true as both characters were the butt of jokes. Unless you mean there are just more people alive today which is not disputed

Whilst I'm at it I have to say that use of the word "moron" in your username may well offend some people, have you considered that ?

No, could you explain? I wouldn't have used it if I'd thought that. You do understand that the word "moron" is not related to my user name etymologically?

Edited by ozimoron

28 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

That may have been the intention of sit-coms , but unfortunately it went over many peoples heads and the actors became heros to racists and they missed the message and concentrated on calling non White racially abusive names 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

I'm not sure where I said I had no knowledge of the Thai language. I've been able to speak and read Thai for 40 years.

Every country has it's bigots and racists. Thais are no different to any other nation in this respect. It is wrong to characterise Thais as racists in general. That itself is racist stereotyping.

My mistake I quoted the wrong post

• Like 1