Is this being racist?

So the other day i was sitting at the office and doing my work, I witnessed a conversation between two of my co-workers.

We have this new german guy joined us probably 3-4 weeks ago. He is expert about plane engines. In his mid 50s And the other guy (not important where he is from) also expert about engines for drones. And he is with us for probably 5 years now. I must say the german guy already got everyone's attention because of his attitude and behaving to other people both Thai and foreigners. Obviously in a negative way. No need to give examples.

So get back to the conversation i heard. I will not give the full details but at some point german guy said 'yes, you are obviously from ... because your nose is very big.' And the other guy (who is well known about his really nice personality, etc.) asked like 'what do you mean?' And the german said 'thats how we understand where you are from (mentioning his country) in my country. There are lot of from your country'. At that point something came up and we had to go to the workshop to check few things. 

So i was thinking about this conversation. Was it racist or he was just describing what he looks like? I know in Nazi times, germans said Jews has big nose (he is not from Israel or a jew). I checked with the other guy and he said he doesnt care about the conversation but he thinks (me too) the german guy will not stay here long (obvious reasons). But the thing is i must decide if that was racist or not, because im the head of the section in here. What makes me think is the german guy is not good in english. But he said that very clearly and even made a comment about it.

what you guys think... thanks

Edited by problemfarang
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

I suppose this will be banned .....too many complaints from people with noses ......????

regards Worgeordie

This is supposed to be funny, in a comedy movie. I am pretty sure that the company in question, would have hired a comedian if they needed one. It´s very good to understand differences before posting a comment. 

• Confused 3

14 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Guys in the workplace use all kinds of banter to establish dominance. Like calling everyone - "son" or "young man" 

Did the guy with the nose complain? Or are you being offended on his behalf.

well tbh there were not much time for him to complain because we had to go o the workshop in the middle of this conversation. So it was like not ended conversation. After the workshop i was thinking about this and asked him if hes ok, he said its not a big issue for now. but he will be under observation, thats for sure.