Is this being racist?

2 minutes ago, ColeBOzbourne said:

Fair enough. Yet I feel society should determine what is racist/offensive, rather than each individual 'victim' making that decision.

Again, it isn't one individual, society as a whole isn't that stupid. When many complain credibly that some statement is racist then it's racist. It's entirely a collective thing. And don't come back with some argument that there is no unanimity, there doesn't need to be. Sociologists determine when there is a significant groundswell of opposition. It comes down to education.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ColeBOzbourne said:

Sorry, but that's not the impression I often get from the woke crowd, who are usually also the loudest. The woke often seem to fight for every victim's claims to be unquestionably believed and honored while the perp is automatically guilty.

Got some evidence that's true or just the usual right wing paranoia?

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Got some evidence that's true or just the usual right wing paranoia?

As stated above, it's 'the impression I get' based on personal observation. Basically the same as saying 'in my opinion'. I am entitled to my personal impressions and opinions without providing evidence to  you or anyone else. Do you have evidence to the contrary? I'm not here to argue. Obviously your opinions are different than mine and we can leave it at that.

Edited by ColeBOzbourne

Just now, ColeBOzbourne said:

As stated above, it's 'the impression I get' based on personal observation. Basically the same as saying 'in my opinion'. I am entitled to my personal impressions and opinions without providing evidence to  you are anyone else. Do you have evidence to the contrary?

You can put up an opinion as much as you lkike but you should still make a good faith attempt to justify it.

The dems are stealing babies and selling them to pedophiles. That's my opinion, do I have an ethical duty to support that opinion in any way or can I just put any garbage out there?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

You can put up an opinion as much as you lkike but you should still make a good faith attempt to justify it.

The dems are stealing babies and selling them to pedophiles. That's my opinion, do I have an ethical duty to support that opinion in any way or can I just put any garbage out there?

This is a free-for-all forum used for banter and the tossing about of opinions. No good faith justifications or ethical duties apply. You are free to just put any garbage out there that you wish. So far you have been doing a good job of it.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, ColeBOzbourne said:

This is a free-for-all forum used for banter and the tossing about of opinions. No good faith justifications or ethical duties apply. You are free to just put any garbage out there that you wish. So far you have been doing a good job of it.

Even if that were completely true, does that make it right not to support controversial opinions? Particularly ones which people find offensive or challenge as false? Is the freedom of speech thing (peculiarly American) so all encompassing that anybody has the right to be a dick on this forum?

The bottom line is that everybody who contributes to contentious topics should debate in good faith and not just toss bombs.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Smithson said:

Space Lasers? Missed that. As I stated, I was referring to the OP. You don't seem to want to discuss the OP.

I already have thoroughlly earlier in the thread and don't wish to repeat myself if that is OK with you.

Edited by Jingthing

3 hours ago, ColeBOzbourne said:

Sorry, but that's not the impression I often get from the woke crowd, who are usually also the loudest. The woke often seem to fight for every victim's claims to be unquestionably believed and honored while the perp is automatically guilty.

Woke

adjective
INFORMALUS

• Like 2

On 8/23/2022 at 5:29 PM, Jingthing said:

Are you joking? Have you been to Turkiye?

I had a Turkish friend who I met some years ago at the teacher training academy, and be certainly did not have a big nose. I have read about Thais referring to Westerners as the long noses, I certainly do not have a long nose.

50 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I had a Turkish friend who I met some years ago at the teacher training academy, and be certainly did not have a big nose. I have read about Thais referring to Westerners as the long noses, I certainly do not have a long nose.

With Thais it's relative to their noses and of course other appendages. No he di'int.

Good time for this? 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/29/2022 at 12:40 PM, ColeBOzbourne said:

Perpetrators are guilty. People who do not perpetrate crimes are not guilty.