Is this being racist?

9 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

So are you trying to tell us that the word "woke" was originally coined by the non woke and used as an insult, that is absolute rubbish .  The lefties in the UK consider themselves "woke" but many have been caught out with there anti semitic views ! 

No, I am saying that the term was barely used by anybody until the right wing nutters decided it was a great epithet to hurl at lefties for having a normal social disposition based on personal education and enlightenment. It isn't a concept known in the left wing lexicon. It is pure far right gobbledigook.

Your comment about  anti-semitism being predominantly a left wing trait is uninformed bias in the extreme.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

No, I am saying that the term was barely used by anybody until the right wing nutters decided it was a great epithet to hurl at lefties for having a normal social disposition based on persona;l education and enlightenment. It isn't a concept known in the left wing lexicon. It is pure far right gobbledigook.

The fact remains it was first used by people to describe themselves in a positive light, it has since been used sarcastically or ironically. So you consider woke  "lefties" to have a normal deposition based on education and enlightenment ?  I would consider neither extreme left or right to possess a normal deposition, A normal disposition is that of the majority, of normal people who have no extreme views one way or the other,  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bday Prang said:

The fact remains it was first used by people to describe themselves in a positive light, it has since been used sarcastically or ironically. So you consider woke  "lefties" to have a normal deposition based on education and enlightenment ?  I would consider neither extreme left or right to possess a normal deposition, A normal disposition is that of the majority, of normal people who have no extreme views one way or the other,  

Wokeness is normality.

• Haha 1

Just now, ozimoron said:

Goes to my point about the victims get to decide what's racist, not the perps.

So when is the victim? The guy the comment was directed at doesn't seem to be complaining, neither are the women in the office. Although I haven't read the whole thread.

1 hour ago, Bday Prang said:

So are you trying to tell us that the word "woke" was originally coined by the non woke and used as an insult, that is absolute rubbish .  The lefties in the UK consider themselves "woke" but many have been caught out with there anti semitic views ! 

Antisemitism comes from the right, left, and Islamist based. I can't speak for the UK but the most significant and most murderous source of it in the US comes from the now mainstream Christian white nationalist far right.

President Biden was inspired to challenge trump based on trumps vile good people on both sides response to the fascist Jews will not replace us rallies in Charlottesville. 

Edited by Jingthing

8 minutes ago, Smithson said:

So when is the victim? The guy the comment was directed at doesn't seem to be complaining, neither are the women in the office. Although I haven't read the whole thread.

Good people should be encouraged to respond to racism when it occurs in their social group when no targets are there. How else will the bigots ever learn to consider their behavior as unacceptable?

59 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

No, I am saying that the term was barely used by anybody until the right wing nutters decided it was a great epithet to hurl at lefties for having a normal social disposition based on personal education and enlightenment. It isn't a concept known in the left wing lexicon. It is pure far right gobbledigook.

Your comment about  anti-semitism being predominantly a left wing trait is uninformed bias in the extreme.

I did not write anything whatsoever about it being a predominantly left wing trait neither did I imply it anywhere! 

You really are a piece of work.

What I actually said was that certain members of the UK labour party , which considers itself "more woke" than the others have been exposed as having anti semitic views . 

That is a fact, you can whinge and protest and misquote me  all you like. It does not change the facts The demise of their leader Jeremy Corbyn  was in part due to his anti semitic beliefs and sympathies  I suppose that is far right gobbledigook too?

Like the jewish labour MP's who have complained about anti semitic comments and behaviour directed at them by other members of their party, More far right gobbledigook ?  I think not

Accusations of anti semitism against the right of center conservative party who  do not claim to be, and  are not exactly renowned for being particularly  "woke" are very rare in comparison 

Perhaps you should read this twice before you write your reply

1 hour ago, ozimoron said:

Wokeness is normality.

As if lol     if that was the case everybody "would take the knee" before starting work  what better way could there be to publicly express their wokeness ?   Even in the UK , the least racist country in the world , "taking the knee" seems to be the preserve of a few virtue signalling footballers,   Normality hah   Wokeness may be normality for you,  just getting on with life and dealing with day to day issues like making ends meet is the normality for most people

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ozimoron said:

It's the normal human condition. Anything else is ignorance or prejudice.

If it's normal then most ppl in the world would have these views on race and gender. I've seen nothing to back this. From what I've seen ppl around the world have a very diverse range of views.

I think it's most common among wealthy white well educated ppl, who are now abusing their privilege by imposing it on others.

Does anyone in the OPs post identify as a victim or is this also imposed on them?

4 minutes ago, Smithson said:

If it's normal then most ppl in the world would have these views on race and gender. I've seen nothing to back this. From what I've seen ppl around the world have a very diverse range of views.

I think it's most common among wealthy white well educated ppl, who are now abusing their privilege by imposing it on others.

Does anyone in the OPs post identify as a victim or is this also imposed on them?

Do you imagine that racism is coded into our genes? It is in fact learned and demonstrates how pervasive racism is in society that most people are racist until they get an education or travel.

13 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Do you imagine that racism is coded into our genes? It is in fact learned and demonstrates how pervasive racism is in society that most people are racist until they get an education or travel.

If most people are racist, then racism is normal.

What level and type of education is required not be racist?

It concerns me that young people learn about racism in university, this is far too late, for me it was taught by my parents, that was the norm back then.

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Good people should be encouraged to respond to racism when it occurs in their social group when no targets are there. How else will the bigots ever learn to consider their behavior as unacceptable?

Good ppl should support those who need help, they shouldn't decide for themselves. I'm not sure there's bigots or racists in the OPs story and neither is he.

Not considering the locals, their attitudes and culture has become common among many here. My guess is these ppl are white and come from former colonial powers, which explains their attitude.

Edited by Smithson

26 minutes ago, Smithson said:

Good ppl should support those who need help, they shouldn't decide for themselves. I'm not sure there's bigots or racists in the OPs story and neither is he.

Not considering the locals, their attitudes and culture has become common among many here. My guess is these ppl are white and come from former colonial powers, which explains their attitude.

I was speaking in general.

For example you're with a group of peers and one says that the Jews are controlling the world with Soros funded space lasers. Is the decent  thing to let lt pass without comment or confront the bigot?

For example you're with a group of peers and one says that the Jews are controlling the world with Soros funded space lasers. Is the decent  thing to let lt pass without comment or confront the bigot?

I don’t think Soros needs my help.

Well if you were to speak to them, its very unlikely that they will change their opinion and then have a different point of view . 

Its very unlikely that after you speak to them, then they would say "Actually you are right , Jews don't control the World , thanks for letting me know "

7 hours ago, Jingthing said:

President Biden was inspired to challenge trump based on trumps vile good people on both sides response to the fascist Jews will not replace us rallies in Charlottesville. 

That quote has been explained many times and what was meant .

You complain about Bigots , than act in a bigoted way .

Trump was saying there were good people on both sides (Non racist ,non violent people , and there were bad people on both sides ,( Nazis , racists , violent people)

You keep wrongly trying to suggest that Trump said the Nazis were good people .

As with my post above ; There is no point trying to explain anything to some people , as they wont change their minds , just like the people who think Jews control the world .

• Like 1

You're correct, however there's no clear bigot in this case. The OP should have discussed it with his colleagues, his peers. It affects them, not us posters on expat forum.

On 8/27/2022 at 11:00 AM, Bday Prang said:

Do you genuinely believe that "eddie booth" became a hero to racists. ?    come on be serious 

I was referring to Alf Garnett .

He portrayed himself as a racist in TV programmes and he often complained that people would come and speak to him saying they agree with his racist views , kids watching the programme thought that its quite acceptable to racial abuse non Whites 

6 minutes ago, Smithson said:

You're correct, however there's no clear bigot in this case. The OP should have discussed it with his colleagues, his peers. It affects them, not us posters on expat forum.

There is no clear bigot in that case? Wow!

2 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I was referring to Alf Garnett .

He portrayed himself as a racist in TV programmes and he often complained that people would come and speak to him saying they agree with his racist views , kids watching the programme thought that its quite acceptable to racial abuse non Whites 

That was "till death us do part" not sure if it is outright banned but I imagine some episodes will be

13 hours ago, Jingthing said:

There is no clear bigot in that case? Wow!

It started out as a question or whether a comment could be racist. Now it seems ppl who don't know him have decided he's a bigot.

Th OP suggested a warning, but if he's really a bigot then maybe just sack him and give the Lynch mob what they want.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Smithson said:

It started out as a question or whether a comment could be racist. Now it seems ppl who don't know him have decided he's a bigot.

Th OP suggested a warning, but if he's really a bigot then maybe just sack him and give the Lynch mob what they want.

I was referring to the space lasers example.

23 hours ago, ozimoron said:

Goes to my point about the victims get to decide what's racist, not the perps.

Yes, because no victim has ever lied, exaggerated, or made ridiculous claims with ulterior motives. Isn't the 'perp' innocent until proven guilty like everyone else? Some people wake up angry every morning and go looking for reasons to claim they are victims or are offended. The name Jussie Smollett comes to mind...good thing somebody doubted his sad story.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ColeBOzbourne said:

Yes, because no victim has ever lied, exaggerated, or made ridiculous claims with ulterior motives. Isn't the 'perp' innocent until proven guilty like everyone else? Some people wake up angry every morning and go looking for reasons to claim they are victims or are offended. The name Jussie Smollett comes to mind...good thing somebody doubted his sad story.

I'm not referring to individual cases of people lying, that should be obvious. I'm talking about what gets defined as racism and what doesn't.

4 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

I'm not referring to individual cases of people lying, that should be obvious. I'm talking about what gets defined as racism and what doesn't.

Fair enough. Yet I feel society should determine what is racist/offensive, rather than each individual 'victim' making that decision.